Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Fast board for big kites

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 22, 2002 7:05 pm

I am looking for some recommendations for fast boards for light wind/big kites. I Have a pile of smaller boards, but none seem to have the speed to take advantage of the x2 20 meter. I would be looking for something that works with the Airblast 11.8 also. I weigh 185 pounds. Upwind ability, speed,and big jumps are reqirements. I like the look of the Lightwave stuff.
ANybody have an opinion?? Oh yea, twintip.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dwight » Thu Aug 22, 2002 7:12 pm

Underground Wave Tray. Fastest shit on the water. Flatter rocker, only 4 fins, and flipped tips all add up to high speed in ROUGH water. Straight tips dig in and slow the board when they dance (pitch bounce) in rough water. Flipped tips don't drag. The rocker is flatter than the industry standard used by almost ALL board builders. Stay far away from boards that need more than 4 fins to hold their edge. Extra fins are SLOW.

Demo a 157 WT.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:11 pm

Dwight, thanks for the info. Why do you think 4 little fins have much effect on speed? When I am powered, Usually just the back fins are really in the water. The fins are small and are nothing like the monster blades used by some screaming fast windsurfers. I have certainly heard this before from others, but was wondering if someone had some rationale why. I have a mess of fins on my boards and have never tried popping some off. I would assume that you would have to edge more if you have fewer fins. Doesn't this increase drag alot? How about a sharp edge (eg: Slingshot) as opposed to a softer rail. I am interested in the Underground. I have seen you comment on it before. My recollection is that you got it a bit wider thatn is standard. Big difference?

Thanks,
Gary

francky
Medium Poster

Postby francky » Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:46 pm

Hello
I was out by 14 knots of wind with my mach1 15.1 and my minidirectional with 2 big fins and 2 small while my friend was using an underground board with a 14 X2 and i was way faster than him ... i think the fastest board are small light directional with big fins like manolo board from new caledonia ...

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:00 pm

On 2002-08-22 21:11, Anonymous wrote:
Dwight, thanks for the info. Why do you think 4 little fins have much effect on speed? When I am powered, Usually just the back fins are really in the water. The fins are small and are nothing like the monster blades used by some screaming fast windsurfers. I have certainly heard this before from others, but was wondering if someone had some rationale why. I have a mess of fins on my boards and have never tried popping some off. I would assume that you would have to edge more if you have fewer fins. Doesn't this increase drag alot? How about a sharp edge (eg: Slingshot) as opposed to a softer rail. I am interested in the Underground. I have seen you comment on it before. My recollection is that you got it a bit wider thatn is standard. Big difference?

Thanks,
Gary
Yeah I did order mine wider than standard. I was looking for max light wind performance. Two years ago I owned a Hana Crew with 7 fins. I recently tried my friends Hana to see if my memories of the board were still correct. Yep it’s slow, and you can hear the fins making noise.

When I tried a Slingshot I was shocked at how slow it was too. I suggested the owner try it with only 4 fins. Now he and the other local SS riders use 4 fins. They say it’s faster and more fun.

I also agree a directional could be even faster, but you said TT, so I’m restricting my recommendations to those.

For what it’s worth, I’m thinking about going shorter on my light wind wave tray. The 157 feel’s long and clumsy to me. I just heard Martin Vari is getting a 110 WT. I guess the trend in boards is getting shorter and shorter. I really like the feel of the 147 length. It’s true running length is 138, so it feels like a 138 when you ride it. I may get a wide 147 and sell the 157.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dwight on 2002-08-22 22:01 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dwight on 2002-08-22 22:02 ]</font>

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:20 pm

Dwight,
I'm a little confused. Unless I'm reading this wrong you started out with a very favorable presentation of the Wavetray 157, but the last message said you thought it was clumsy. What's the scoop. Should I steer clear of the Wavetray 157?

Gary

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:59 pm

On 2002-08-22 22:20, Anonymous wrote:
Dwight,
I'm a little confused. Unless I'm reading this wrong you started out with a very favorable presentation of the Wavetray 157, but the last message said you thought it was clumsy. What's the scoop. Should I steer clear of the Wavetray 157?

Gary
It's up to you and what you're use to riding. One friend of mine loves his 157 WT, but his previuos board was long too, compared to mine. So maybe it's just me.

I just thought I'd let you know how I feel. I always say what I think. I probably would have thought 157 was just right 3 months ago, before I bought my 147. Now the sporty nibble feel of the 147 has spoiled me. It's only the length I'm having second thoughts about. The board is still pretty sporty compared to some.

jever98
Frequent Poster

Postby jever98 » Fri Aug 23, 2002 8:12 am

With my X2 20, I am using a custom made Carved board. 147 x 42
Very flat rocker, works well on lakes, but not so well on the open ocean.
He makes them to your specifications, though.

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Mon Aug 26, 2002 7:48 am

I've got a friend who swears by his Manalo board he got in New Caledonia... he says it's incredably fast... faster than his big underground directional by far.

I have a smaller underground directional (about 6 ft) and that goes well... but for speed I don't go near a twintip or wakeboard.... get something that goes in one direction and does it well!!

RUST IN PEACE :smile:

francky
Medium Poster

Postby francky » Mon Aug 26, 2002 4:37 pm

Hello
Its Manolo Board they are small around 4 feet long and very fast ...

Return to “Kitesurfing”