Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cabrinha FX

Forum for kitesurfers
Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Re: Cabrinha FX

Postby Do-it » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:55 am

HAHAHAHAHAH ........ Please tell me I'm not the only one thinking.."What's up with the old pervert with the massager." Otherwise these are great reviews from the15 and younger crowd. Kite loops looked super weak too. " this kite is so badass, we put our children on it!!!!"

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby C Johnson » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:29 am

Having some fun on the 14m FX yesterday. 2nd session so far. I was lit on the 14m. Most of the other riders out were on 10's but there were a few guys riding 12's, 13's and 14's.

One thing I will say. The 14m FX seems to have a similar wind range to what you might expect from a 12-13m kite. I had a short session on the 10m FX following the 14m (sorry no video from that) I'll say the 10m definitely also feels like a smaller kite. Maybe more like a 9m in terms of bottom end.

Still early to form a full opinion on these kites but I will say so far that they remind me a bit of a cross between an RPM and a Hifi except better. I'm not sure how to describe why it feels better but it just feels so refined compared to the RPM's I've tried and the Hifi's I've owned in the past.

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby C Johnson » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:35 pm

I had the 14m FX out in some lightwind conditions yesterday and it actually surprised me with the amount of low end it had. I think my initial review was thrown off by the light bar pressure.

It seems like the 14m FX has less low end than the 14m Switchblade or 15m Contra but both of those kites are known for being very grunty. The FX still feels like it has low end comparable to a typical 13m/14m kite with a top end range comparable to a 12/13m

kas911
Frequent Poster

Postby kas911 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:53 pm

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Strekke » Tue May 05, 2015 9:51 am

Can anyone compare the FX to the North Dice 2015? Tested the Dice recently and loved it, but it seems that the FX might be quite similar? Anyone who has flown both?

speedyRider
Frequent Poster

Postby speedyRider » Tue May 05, 2015 9:55 am

havent flown the dice but the FX is really sweet

calikites
Frequent Poster
Gear: All of the gear

Postby calikites » Tue May 05, 2015 5:05 pm

I rode the Dice and FX back to back a couple of weeks ago at the Pismo event (Thanks Marina and Kinsley!)

I didn't get a chance to test the low end but I would say the high end on both is pretty similar and really great. Both kites jump enormous. For the first time since I have ridden a North kite back to back with a Cabrinha it's nice to finally be able to say that the Cabrinha was faster than the North.

When I was doing some mega loops, the Cabrinha was a little bit easier in general because the speed got it back over my head quicker. I did however still like the loop on the North better because it yanks harder and pulls more consistently throughout the loop. It's also weird to say that the North kite is pulling harder than the Cabrinha. I had trouble getting enough feedback through the FX so often the loops would turn into doubles to get the kite to stay over my head long enough to slow my decent. I spoke to some of the guys on the beach and they all agreed. When I told the Cabrinha Rep this, his response was that I should have moved it to the heavier bar setting which would have increased feedback and slowed the kite down. This makes a lot of sense and would definitely help with my complaint. Hopefully I will have a chance to try it again soon (thanks Gunner!)

I didn't get out on the FX to give it a shot on a surfboard, or wakestyle conditions, however if anyone needs info on the Dice in how it handles those give me a PM I'd be glad to tell you why I love it.

Final breakdown from me is that the kites are both very similar and are great all around kites. I think if you are tossed up and can't get a chance to ride either of them, just flip a coin as they are both amazing and you will be stoked on either.

I do have demos and full stock in both the FX and Dice. If you would like a chance to try either of them please let me know and I'll get you set up.

Brian
Calikites

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com

Postby IanNJ » Tue May 05, 2015 5:32 pm

So i had the oppurtunity to do some back to back testing with the SB and FX. We put the kites on the scale too! The FX is a full pound lighter then the SB. I thought the kite was really nice doe jumps, loops and un-hooked. Its a really lively kite.
Full review: http://greenhatkiteboarding.com/news/20 ... ade-vs-fx/
If you are a Cab rider and want something quick and agil the FX would be a good consideration. Not as powerful as a SB but way nicer IMO.

jedi1
Frequent Poster

Postby jedi1 » Tue May 05, 2015 7:33 pm

Strekke wrote:Can anyone compare the FX to the North Dice 2015? Tested the Dice recently and loved it, but it seems that the FX might be quite similar? Anyone who has flown both?
I've ridden both and decided to buy the Dice as it for me felt much better unhooked (better slack), was way easier to jump and just felt better in the sky.

After my test of the FX 9m2 it just didn't fit my needs.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Sun May 24, 2015 3:44 pm

My review seems to be inline with alot of the other reviewers here.

I had the opportunity the ride the 14m FX back to back with a 2015 12m SB and I have to say that the FX was a huge disappointment to me:

Pros: Fast Turning, Powerful loops, Smooth

Cons: Lacks bottom end, lacks boost, weird fluttering

I was riding with two riders who were on 10m and 12m '15 SB. I never depowered the kite once, and they said they had the kites trimmed at times. So its has a huge upper range it seems.

It very much reminds me of the 2013 Switchblades that have been more refined. If you ever watch the Kite design interview with Pat from Cabrinha on the Switchblades, he talks about how the 2013 rSB was ahead of its time and people werent ready fpr it. These kites also lacked bottom end but were good in high winds and fast turning. I think that the FX is the refinement of what the 13 SBs should have been.

I think that if I was to ride the smaller sized FX in higher winds I would probably have a different opinion, but for everyday riding when I live, I would go for the 2015 SB over the FX hands down as a quiver. Id take a FX as an additional kite to a similar sized I already had possibly.

Return to “Kitesurfing”