Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Do i need lessons?

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 24, 2002 11:27 pm

Hi i'm going to get into kiteboarding. I already wakeboard and windsurf and i know quite a bite about the wind. My freind and i are getting into kiteboarding now and we were thinking maybe we would just get a training video to learn by because i otherwise i couldn't get lesson suntil the spring and they'd be 200 bucks. What do you all think.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby murdoc » Sat Aug 24, 2002 11:33 pm

lessons are really important.
you may compare kiteboarding to drivin a car.
not really dangerous if you know what to do, but you may harm others if not.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Sat Aug 24, 2002 11:44 pm

Nobody recommends learning today without lessons. This is because many of us learned without them, so we're smarter now.

If you go ahead anyway, get some real good simple videos. The best for this are the two from Ken Winner. They take more time explaining everything real clearly. This is especially important for someone learning by themselves. Some of the other instruction videos out there are best for those that already took a lession and need to review the lesssons again.

If you have other kiters in your area, make sure you go kiting when they do. Ask them to tell you when they see you doing something wrong or risky. Don't be folish and aviod those who know what they're doing. Let them know you don't know what you're doing. With a teaching video and help from other kiters, you could do it.

ctkiteboarding
Medium Poster

Postby ctkiteboarding » Sun Aug 25, 2002 12:48 am

lessons ?

?? cost 200 or so
value of gear destroyed because of no lesson and simle mistake ?? 500 too 1000
lesson?
?? cost 200 or so
value of trip to doctor for possilbe injury because of no lesson and simple mistake? 500 to 2500
lesson?
?? cost 200 or so
value of lawyer fee when liable for other because of no lesson and simple mistake? ???
i dont no why people ask this question its the only option good luck and sail safely

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Sun Aug 25, 2002 1:20 am

Without a question. The best purchase you will ever make is for the first couple of lessons. Get a good instructor.

Ray-au
Medium Poster

Postby Ray-au » Sun Aug 25, 2002 3:00 am

you could kill yourself within five minutes of seting up the kite without a lesson.
Get someone to at least tell you what not to do, that is the most important part.

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 25, 2002 3:05 am

I am the guy who started this topic. Thanks for the help. I am on a tight budget so i'll have to see if i can afford the lessons. At least i will be getting help from some guys here that kiteboard. Maybe i could do a partial lesson or something for cheeper. Thanks for all the help.

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 25, 2002 12:36 pm

On 2002-08-25 04:05, Anonymous wrote:
I am the guy who started this topic. Thanks for the help. I am on a tight budget so i'll have to see if i can afford the lessons. At least i will be getting help from some guys here that kiteboard. Maybe i could do a partial lesson or something for cheeper. Thanks for all the help.

Just curious......where exactley is "here"?

Johnny

Nik_KiteAntigua
Medium Poster

Postby Nik_KiteAntigua » Sun Aug 25, 2002 1:21 pm

Please please please......guys!!! Your budget is not an issue here. Look at the cost of the equipment anyway. 200 bucks is nothing in comparison to the hazardous/damaging results of ignorance. You will save the 200 hunge just in the speed that you learn and all the damage you prevent.

The big issue here is that you can not just stop the kite when you lose control. Sending the kite into a power dive or Hindenburg results in at least a couple of seconds of mega thrust which will pull you through a fence, into a tree, accross a road, into your friends gear, and worse an innocent bystander. Windsufering is different.....if you cant uphaul the sail you dont go anywhere and when the sail falls over, the mast is not 30 meters tall!!!

If you tried to learn on your own on the beach that I go kiting on you would be smartly discouraged by all the established riders there. Our access to the beach is a privelege not a right. And the best way to screw that up is to have some KOOK crashing his kite all over the place.

Dont be stupid.

ctkiteboarding
Medium Poster

Postby ctkiteboarding » Sun Aug 25, 2002 1:22 pm

sounds like another windsurfer with a "tight budget" and wind knowledge what did you spend all your cash on wind board gear? penny wise pound foolish get a lesson

Return to “Kitesurfing”