forum for kitesurfers

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Tried Globerider system yesterday - on my North. Version 2

Postby Wetstuff » Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:28 pm

See at 10 - sew at 12 - fly at 2.

....just because you can assemble the pieces in a couple of hours - does not mean you can get it to work. Heaps of praise on the Globerider folks for not only coming up with the idea but sticking with it 'till they found the right angles.

Even as I was sewing it - it seemed the pulley would naturally want to settle at the bottom of a flexible triangle. I had to do summer school to graduate from high school, so I don't know sh-t about the math...

In flight the pulley seemed to stay near the front and the rear of the tips would 'pinch stall' as usual when the backlines were pulled hard.

Yet, I've been on a bunch of sailboats - I think I know of a way I can get it to work..but it's a holiday weekend here and I can't order any stainless 'till tuesday.

Poor old Rhino 1 get's heaps of abuse, but if anyone wants to suggest a good kite to someone who can't afford new - these are the great. Does pretty much everything well.

Jim

........the above was Saturday...the below is Sunday's

Here's another version. The top photo is what the new looked like leaving for the beach...the lower one is what I came home with.

I found a couple of bits of stainless. My idea was; make one similar to a "traveler" on a sailboat. The problem with v2 is the diameter of the S.S. rod was only 1/8th"/3.25mm. I've got some 3/16's/5mm which should certainly be strong enough - but it's time to carry this farther.

The next plan is to make a "full length" rod with adjustments on both the front and back. I'd leave the front to move freely some distance with a pulley - say 4"/100mm...but make the back fixed/variable on the ground. I suspect it could get a bit wild with them both sliding around on the fly!

I think I also figured a way, using the usual pigtails to make the angle of the rod adjustable on the ground also. I had nobody around yesterday to see if I got any fore/aft movement of the pulley before they bent...

After initial testing I took it down for a 16 and then later in the session it got lit-up out there, so threw it back up and just flew the hell out of it, bent rods and all.

BTW: I self launch in wasit deep water in case any of my junk blows up on the launch pad. I'm not near people, rocks or trees...and I awalys wear helmet, vest....and eye protection.

(since this is a revison of the first post - I cannot see any comments, so I look any repy if needed...)

Jim
Last edited by Wetstuff on Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

windshreder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windshreder » Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:12 pm

Try a shorter loop for the pulley to run in. :thumb:

Thatspec
Medium Poster

Postby Thatspec » Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:40 pm

Definately a shorter loop would allow it to travel back and forth easier. Even a rigid rod suspended just below and parallel to the tip batten that the pulley would run back and forth on. The less droop, the more range.
Excellent effort though, post back if you make any other mods please.

MT

dt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby dt » Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:57 pm

Here is another vote for a shorter line the pulley rides on. However, I think you might also have to duplicate the angle of the tips of the Globerider kite. I think you can do that by adding a line that goes from the rear pigtale to the loop line. This should force the loop line into a triangle so that the pulley line slopes down.

This might be hard to understand but please feel free to ask questions or send me an email. I made a drawing of it using Paint but I couldn't find a way to post the drawing.

Doug dougtraub@mindspring.com

theflyingtinman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby theflyingtinman » Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:04 pm

dt wrote:Here is another vote for a shorter line the pulley rides on. However, I think you might also have to duplicate the angle of the tips of the Globerider kite. I think you can do that by adding a line that goes from the rear pigtale to the loop line. This should force the loop line into a triangle so that the pulley line slopes down.

This might be hard to understand but please feel free to ask questions or send me an email. I made a drawing of it using Paint but I couldn't find a way to post the drawing.

Doug dougtraub@mindspring.com
I think maybe the best way to duplicate that angle would be to suspend a
solid spar between the front and rear or the wingtip - with the front attached right at the tip and the rear attached on a few inches of lines (adjustable for experimentation) so the spar forms the angle you need - then attach the pulley loop to the front of the spar.

BTW Doug - yesterday was a great afternoon session at 3rd - were
you there?

Steve T.
Last edited by theflyingtinman on Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby dt » Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:19 pm

Steve,

Good ideas!

Missed yesterday and hope to be there today but the forecast is bleak.

Doug

theflyingtinman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby theflyingtinman » Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:36 pm

And don't forget a back-up line for when the pulley or loop breaks.

(see modified pic above)

Steve T.

Kolahi
Frequent Poster

Postby Kolahi » Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:49 am

thanks all thanks. It blew every day i've had class, and this weekend i had to go back home to pick some things up, and it blew again. Too bad all i got here was like 10mph, maybe even less, but i was cruising. I'll be at 3rd on friday after class, and if the forecast is good the rest of the week, otherwise if its good for waddel im going there. I'm looking forward to kiting with you again steve, as you can tell. Last time i was at waddel i was on my g-10(extreme overpowered on the g-13). Iwindsurf said it was 24 average- gusting to a little bit over 30. Man i had the funnest time there EVER. Huge waves - biggest i've ever been in atleast, and greatest wind. I love waddel. it blew 13-able from about 12pm to 10able at about 3pm-6pm and back down to 13able at around 6pm-to sundown. For me, life starts at 18mph and doesnt stop until its too windy for trainers.

chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:54 pm

Use a rod if you can, if you make the loop too short, the force will not pull axially on the reinforcement straps sewn into the tip of the kite, rather sideways, and the sewing will eventually fail, damaging the kite. A rod will remain stiff and create the proper force axially at the attachment points.

Just an opinion.

V
Chicago Kitesurfing
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Wetstuff » Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:17 pm

V: ...my thoughts exactly. I eyeballed their system and subtracted a little of what I thought I was seeing. Sewing I knew a little about, and you're right - it would rip out in no time.

Hmmm.. Maybe their photo is a ruse to throw us cranks off the path! If I was them - I WOULD! Internet-Fourm-Bastards..always scamming new the stuff!

My apology to Globerider for fooling around like this with their idea. I'm fully confident that they have a viable and sound system. I don't mean to make it look goofy with my antics.

Jim

Return to “Kitesurfing”