Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

TOO MANY FATALITIES

Postby RickI » Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:58 pm

THREE fatalities within a couple of weeks, involving two experienced
riders and apparently a new rider. Lofting or dragging and severe head
injuries occurred in each case. No helmets are known to have been in use at this time in any of these three accidents. Details are still coming in but
they both appear to have been avoidable accidents.

Things may grow worse before they improve, based on the experience of last year. Reviewing information from the KSI in 2002:

June - Two fatalities

Sept. - One fatality

Oct. - One fatality

Nov. - Five fatalities

Desperation over so many avoidable accidents last November resulted in the preparation and translation of "Ten Ideas For Safer Kiteboarding" located at:
phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3881

IF, these guidelines had been adhered to it is likely that many of these fatalities may have never happened. Add to that the many dozens of serious, non-fatal avoidable accidents many involving experienced riders that may have never happened IF these guidelines had been followed.

Then there are the accidents and fatalities that have yet to occur. Those are the ones that we might cause to NEVER occur by the choices we make.

* In kiteboarding and in life for that matter, bad things can happen. They don't always happen to the "other guy."

* Experience and skill are sometimes NOT much of a deterent to harm, unless suitable caution is practiced.

These are two of the most significant facts that are given here. You or someone you know could well be the next victim of a serious accident., largely determined by the care you choose to practice.

Lack of awareness of hazards or worse denial of their significance can injure and kill. This has happened in the past and will continue to happen.

So, take steps to avoid an AVOIDABLE accident or not, the choice is yours. People often need to see and hear about enough serious accidents to motivate them to take the hazard seriously and to take steps to avoid them. Are we there yet?

Kiteboarding is an extreme sport and will likely always have the potential to be dangerous. The key is to reduce the number of avoidable accidents. It is up to you to decide by the actions you choose to take, if any.

Some ideas on how to avoid kiteboarding accidents and complaints appear in the "Ten Ideas For Safer Kiteboarding" and even more appear in the "Safe Kiteboarding Guidelines." These documents were derived from actual accident analysis. Choose to be aware and try to avoid obvious hazards or not. The hazards are real and will effect some among us regardless of our views on whether they are a real threat or not. Do your loved ones a favor and think about it.

November is approaching along with what good and ill that it may bring. Our choices in how we ride will have a strong role in how things work out this fall. Safety devices in kiteboarding may only help to avoid serious accidents. In these early days it is essential to also use adequate knowledge and judgment to properly insure safer riding. Time to decide, with appropriate action our casualty rate could be less than last year, it is up to us. We should be doing more to improve the accident experience in kiteboarding.

Safe Kiteboarding Guidelines
phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=11313

Ten Ideas For Safer Kiteboarding
phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3881
Last edited by RickI on Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

fokiten
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby fokiten » Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:15 pm

Quote....>Kiteboarding is an extreme sport and will likely always have the potential to be dangerous.

Quote...>You or someone you know could well be the next victim of a serious accident.

potential to be dangerous????
mm,,ok yeah,,mmm,,,sure,,,
yeah potential,,that's enough???,,sure it is,,

Let's do a kite night,,,
get some folks into this safety thing,,,
It's all avoidable ehh??
can be dangerous??? sure
fine,,, ok ,,swell,,
How nice,,
fine,,
ok,,sure
right,,can be dangerous,,
potential,,right,, ok,,
fine
sure,, swell
fokiten

Blow Me
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Blow Me » Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:49 pm

fo, the air must have stopped flowing your way. :o

Thatspec
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Thatspec » Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:05 am

Fo,
Help us to understand and help you. I assume you enjoy kitesurfing, beyond that we know little about you. Where are you from, any siblings, parents still alive, any childhood traumas you would care to share with us?

MT

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:37 am

It would be good to try to focus on the intent of this thread and to not become distracted by side issues.

The problem is that people either don't know or fully appreciate the potential hazards of this sport.

As a result, two men have died in just one day in Australia.

If we can compel folks to take these issues seriously perhaps some riders will be spared future injury and fatalities. If not, it may take more avoidable accidents to get their attention. Let's try to ease away from semantics and focus on issues. In this case life and death issues and those tied to our access and the future well being of our sport.

Blow Me
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Blow Me » Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:55 am

Sorry RickI, your right.

Seriously, I think that people just need to pay more attention, and be more cautious. The wind yesterday was not good, as far as from what I heard. It goes to show that no matter how experienced you are, anything can happen. I think the safest thing to do is if, you have any doubts, either about yourself, or the wind (there was a squall warning), then just don't go out.

Local kiters here have been starving for wind. So, the first chance they get, they probably will go out. And we have only just started to get teasers of the summer to come. So, we need to get passed that I think, and play it safe.

On good wind days, you can see kites up, and down the coast from where I live. I went out yesterday, and only saw 1 windsurfer, and 1 kite way, down the coast, about a mile or so. I took this as a sign, that its probably not a good idea to go out. The majority were inside, wishing the wind was better.

ROLAVI
Medium Poster

Postby ROLAVI » Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:23 am

This sport is scary!

If you make the wrong move your going to pay for it, no matter how good or safe you are. Others around you may even pay for it if you make the wrong move.

* If you are an intermediate kiter and follow all of the guidlines
and you make the wrong move you still have a very good chance of being hurt

* If you are a 1# pro (Martin Vari) in the world you stand a very good chance of being hurt

This sport is not just difficult it is dangerous for you and others around you even if you follow the saftey guidelines outlined by Rick.

This is NO boogie boarding, bmx biking or skating boarding. This is a serious hobby. Kiteboarding should make your adrenaline run, your heart beat very hard and make you wonder if you are even up for it.

Rick: Please keep up the good work.

Fo: Tell the truth and keep it real

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:58 am

ROLAVI wrote:This sport is scary!

If you make the wrong move your going to pay for it, no matter how good or safe you are. Others around you may even pay for it if you make the wrong move.

* If you are an intermediate kiter and follow all of the guidlines
and you make the wrong move you still have a very good chance of being hurt

* If you are a 1# pro (Martin Vari) in the world you stand a very good chance of being hurt

This sport is not just difficult it is dangerous for you and others around you even if you follow the saftey guidelines outlined by Rick.

This is NO boogie boarding, bmx biking or skating boarding. This is a serious hobby. Kiteboarding should make your adrenaline run, your heart beat very hard and make you wonder if you are even up for it.

Rick: Please keep up the good work.

Fo: Tell the truth and keep it real
Hi,,,, Rolavi,,
We see things exactly the same,,,this ain't no BMX sport,,,This is serious shit,,people die for real,,,
I am simply anti HYPE ,, The ten rules I remember start out,,, The exciting new sport sweeping the globe,,etc.
I am not anti rick,,,I have said that like 100 times already,,,I'm anti kite night,hype night,,safety talk with the bottom line of you can do this,,
I am anti promotion,,,
I am 53, and have been extreme,,, for the last 30 years,, This sport is for the people you can't stop from trying it like me,,,,Not
the people you have to recruit,,, I hope that is clear enough???
I'm not anti kite,,,,I'm anti recruiting,, no kite nights,, no problem,,,,
Any comments?
fokiten

mharrison33
Rare Poster

Postby mharrison33 » Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:03 am

I still believe that the biggest problem is not with those of us who use the forums regularly and who will be reading this post. We read about the deaths and injuries and most of us have read Rick's advice many times and incorporate some, if not all, of his recommendations in our regular behaviour. While we are still in danger and should never pretend otherwise, most of us have taken some steps to reduce the dangers.

The biggest problem for the sport is that, from my observations, we remain in the minority. Most people I speak to at my beach don't read the forums and many aren't even aware of ANY deaths in our sport, let alone what caused them and how they can reduce the risk to themselves. Naturally I point them to this forum, but I'm not sure how many think twice about it once they get home.

While some kitesurfers may have bought their gear second hand or online, most probably bought their gear from the retail outlets. I believe that these outlets, while already teaching safe practices which is great, could do more in terms of pointing beginners to the online forums so they can keep up to date with the latest information on safe practices and improving safety equipment to make the sport safer. Some of the guys working in the shops don't even read the forums themselves.

I still think that licensing is the way to go. Through licensing, or at least compulsary membership of your local association, then we can get mail/email addresses for ALL kitesufers and they can be sent up to date literature on what's happening in the sport. This is the only way we can reach the MAJORITY of kitesurfers, rather than the minority that currently are aware of the dangers of kitesurfing, and ensure that we make the sport safer. And if helping/saving others isn't a good enough cause, then from a self interest point of view we must do this to MAINTAIN BEACH ACCESS for those of us who are already adopting safer practices but are at risk of losing access due to those that aren't.

So while the companies work to improve the equipment, and Rick works to collate data and up date the guidelines on safer practices, the rest of us should be doing everything possible to reach as many kitesurfers as possible that don't currently visit any online forums and talk to them to find out if they understand the dangers of the sport, and encourage them to visit the forums to read about the stuff that we take for granted. And if you work in a shop, think about how you can reach as many people as possible and pass on the message.

That's my frustrated rant for the day! :-? Thanks for reading. :wink:
Harro.

Blow Me
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Blow Me » Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:33 am

I joined this forum a year ago this month. I can vouch for whoever said that most kiters aren't even aware of any deaths in this sport. I had no idea how dangerous things can be until I started reading this forum, and learning from peoples posts. I agree that this is better, in the fact that you learn, and are aware of much more, then any Magazine you might read. (I can only speak from the ones I have read; Stance, and Kiteboarding (Aus), and KiteBOARDING (U.S.). While they do have articles that focus on safety and what not, it is nowhere near the equivalent of what you find on here. And the fact that this is real time, helps so much more.

I want to thank personally want to thank RickI as well for opening my eyes, and teaching such great safety. He has truly helped me learn A LOT about this sport, dos and don'ts, and a general knowledge that I hope I can share with others to help be safe, to protect us all from the risk of our sport.

Return to “Kitesurfing”