Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

How are you guys landing your Sonics?

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:24 pm

I usually backstall my Sonic 18 but I've noticed as it wears in it won't still backstalled like it use to. Usually it will fold up some and then ball up and flip over etc etc, I can't leave it stalled while I take a beer break. I havn't checked the bridle yet but I would assume it's still good with less than 50 hours on it.

=J-

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Re: How are you guys landing your Sonics?

Postby plummet » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:56 pm

Check the mixer and line lengths. That's the first thing to do.
Also try back stalling from 45 not the zenith. I have way better success with my chrono on the 45 back stall.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:10 am

logsdon wrote:I usually backstall my Sonic 18 but I've noticed as it wears in it won't still backstalled like it use to. Usually it will fold up some and then ball up and flip over etc etc, I can't leave it stalled while I take a beer break. I havn't checked the bridle yet but I would assume it's still good with less than 50 hours on it.

=J-
You mean, leaving it on the ground? Sand on a wingtip, laid out flat ready for a side launch...

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Has thanked: 0

Postby foilonfoil » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:08 pm

Mostly I have friends around who can catch a tip then fold the tip over and put some sand on it.

If I'm by myself and winds are light, backstall the kite to the ground then flag to a front line. Heavy wind, no choice other than to flag the kite out although it does not happen often.

Landing stakes (ozone) work ok - just need to maintain pressure on rear lines and wrap around stake.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:37 pm

I usually backstall it from a 45. It's just it won't still fully backstalled enough for me to run and sand it anymore. It usually will have the trailing edge curl up and then ball up for flip over etc. When I first got it, I could leave it backstalled for a long time without any problems. I do this by using an extra leash connected to just the back lines above the top plastic balls. I'll check the mixer next time I'm out.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:28 pm

Brake lines too tight due to steering line shrinkage?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:44 pm

logsdon wrote:I usually backstall it from a 45. It's just it won't still fully backstalled enough for me to run and sand it anymore. It usually will have the trailing edge curl up and then ball up for flip over etc. When I first got it, I could leave it backstalled for a long time without any problems. I do this by using an extra leash connected to just the back lines above the top plastic balls. I'll check the mixer next time I'm out.
I wouldn't do that... in my mind, you're parking the kite with a lot of load still on the lines etc., and it may have a tendency to dance across the sand as the wind shifts. Not good for the TE material?

I self-land by back-stalling, then hand-over-hand up the lines until I can grab a tip and lay it out. There's still a lot of pull in the lines, even though the kite is "parked"...

Have tried tether landings, which worked fine most of the time. Until that one time the kite surged in a gust and slipped out of my hands just as I got to the canopy... it went back across the window, over the zenith and snapped the CL. Away it flew, over the trees and strung itself out across the road. Never again! :lol:

Has anyone tried landing a foil kite LE down? Seems it would be an easy way to keep it on the ground while wandering over to it...

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:14 pm

With Sonics LE down would wear out fabric pretty fast because of LE ribs. Not recommended.

Return to “Foil Kites”