Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Reel leash for strapless riding, why aint they more common?

Forum for kitesurfers
flyingfishza
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Global mostly caribbean and south africa
Favorite Beaches: gonubie reef
Style: Wave
Gear: pivot
Brand Affiliation: Kitesurf hooks

Reel leash for strapless riding, why aint they more common?

Postby flyingfishza » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:04 pm

Just watched a clip of someone using a reel leash in some reasonably consequential waves.
I dont like helmets, that is another discussion together with why I still smoke when I have a beer.

I dont like leashes either but some spots the risk of losing the board out ways the risk of a haircut.

It does seem to have benefits over a ankle leash. Primarily for me is not getting yourself all tied up by the ankles when switching feet or kicking the board around but yet reel leashes are scarce to see on wave riders.

Worth buying and trying or someone got a opinion?

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Reel leash for strapless riding, why aint they more comm

Postby alamos_kiter » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:39 pm

I would never use a board leash with a kite, of any kind, ever. Not only the hair cut or getting knocked out by the board, but there are enough strings already to get wrapped in. So if it's too risky for strapless, I grab a strapped SB. If I lose it, I make me a new one.

flyingfishza
Medium Poster

Postby flyingfishza » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:37 am

Arguments over helmets and straps aside I will assume no one uses them apart from a balsy dude in some cold climate on some substantial waves.

I will join said balsy dude in his reel leash purchase and maybe save my melon and make it back to the beach. :jump:

wedge
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby wedge » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:32 am

There's also the risk of drowning. If your board or leash wraps some submerged object, as the kite pulls laterally, you will be forced under water. Even if you somehow manage to cut loose the kite, your 25 ft reel leash hooked into kelp or an anchor line or whatever could kill you. No Q.R. on a reel leash that I'm aware of...

Good luck with that :o

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:51 pm

flyingfishza wrote:Arguments over helmets and straps aside I will assume no one uses them apart from a balsy dude in some cold climate on some substantial waves.

I will join said balsy dude in his reel leash purchase and maybe save my melon and make it back to the beach. :jump:
Kite, strapless in the surf with a board leash?
What for?

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:09 pm

I have never heard of anyone using a reel leash for a surfboard. I suspect the connecting line might be just as in the way than a regular surfboard ankle leash, don't see much advantage there.

In the videos of the pros kite surfing consequential reef waves, where losing your board is a bad situation, you do see quite a few wearing leashes now. But all I've seen are regular surfboard leashes. Way I see it, is if there was an advantage to a reel leash, they'd be using them. Go with what works.

The only people around here who still use leashes are some of the older guys who can't body drag effectively. One friend was almost drowned when his kite bar got tied up with kelp, kite powered up, and his leash caused board to "fish lure" him under water. He still uses a leash, but he added a velcro break ... so that if it the pull is more than say 20 pounds, it automatically releases. That might be a safety item worth considering.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Slappysan » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:14 pm

The only reason to use a leash in the surf is if there are submerged rocks or a rock beach in the wash zone.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:30 pm

If you were riding at that level, you would have your own answer already. In the meantime, I would avoid particularly dangerous breaks until you work up to them and leashes too, reel or otherwise.

They can mess you up and there is nothing to say your board will nicely hit your helmet & not cut through it, vs. knocking your teeth out or cutting your throat, as has happened. Ignoring the risk of rebound, the relatively short reel leash keeps your board close to you and if propelled by incoming waves can do a real number on your head speaking from very long past experience.

Some visuals dealing with the use of board leashes for kiting. There have been many more worldwide than these few cases.

http://www.kiteboardleash.com/index.php ... stimonials
Last edited by RickI on Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyingfishza
Medium Poster

Postby flyingfishza » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:32 pm

The sport was not developed by people doing something because that is what everyone else or the pros do.
There are risks involved in riding substantial waves, I manage the risk at some spots with wearing a leash, these spots have small launch areas with a rocky coastline, losing your board will mean dumping the kite and swimming in.
Yes the waves are worth the risk, if I have to explain risk to reward here we are not on the same page.

QR on reel leash is not that hard to add, the main benefits to me seemed that if attached to the back of the harness the leash wont wrap around my feet when shuffling around on the board.

Anyway seem like enough naysayers to make me wanna try one :cool2:

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:47 pm

RickI wrote:If you were riding at that level, you would have your own answer already. In the meantime, I would avoid particularly dangerous breaks until you work up to them and leashes too, reel or otherwise.
Good advice. I'd default to the safest possible system until such a point as you know, not think, that it's "less dangerous" (vice "safe") to do otherwise.

Return to “Kitesurfing”