The Mako Completely Reborn

Postby Toby » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:54 pm

Ocean Rodeo News:

The Mako Completely Reborn

1 OR.jpg
1 OR.jpg (35.47 KiB) Viewed 5195 times
2 OR.jpg
2 OR.jpg (32.95 KiB) Viewed 5195 times
Technology finally caught up with our ambition, allowing us to deliver the Mako we've always dreamed of. Thinner, lighter and tougher the all new Mako also finally features true Rail-to-Rail concave that results in a delicious carve, every time.

Existing Mako Riders: We challenge you to ride the new Makos, you’ll notice the difference immediately! Rail-to-Rail concave allows you to enter a turn late, lazy or off balance and still commit to the rail and drive through the turn where normally, you would lose your edge!

Built for ‘real world’ conditions the all new Mako excels where all other conventional twin tips fail. Short-fetch chop, rolling ocean waves, inside shore breaks, the Mako smoothly traverses it all and delights in setting the rail hard for a high G force carve to reverse direction for another tack.

What's the secret? The deepest rail-to-rail concave of any twin tip ever produced combined with rounded tips, down-turned rails and a perfectly tuned rocker line. The Mako delivers a powerful fluid carving experience and a dependable rail for stratospheric boosting.

Available in 4 different sizes, the Mako lineup offers Freeride enthusiasts of all backgrounds a board suited to their riding style and size while the wood core ensures your board will survive the rough and tumble coastal conditions this board is built to perform in.

The Mako 135 & 140 , are ready to ride in conventional Twin Tip mode while the 150 & 165 can be set up for Twin Tip or Mutant style riding.

Sizes: 135, 140, 150, 165

https://www.oceanrodeo.com/products/mako
3 OR.jpg
3 OR.jpg (160.73 KiB) Viewed 5195 times

What's the secret?

The deepest rail-to-rail concave of any twin tip ever produced combined with rounded tips, down-turned rails and a perfectly tuned rocker line. The Mako delivers a powerful fluid carving experience and a dependable rail for stratospheric boosting.
4 OR.jpg

Every Mako comes with our BLISS Pads and Straps!

Highly adjustable Bliss Pads & Straps are designed to work with all Ocean Rodeo and most other brand's twin tip kiteboards. 

Featuring ultra durable and comfortable dual density EVA foam pads and near infinite strap configuration options the Bliss Pad & Strap system present your feet with the perfect balance of comfort and control when riding.
5 OR.jpg
5 OR.jpg (66.67 KiB) Viewed 5195 times

rodeoclown
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Carkeek Park, Seattle
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Blade, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Shop ambassador for Urban Surf in Seattle
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Mako Completely Reborn

Postby rodeoclown » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:56 am

I was thinking last sunday about rail to rail concave, and how the duke worked, compared to an older mako.
I gotta try one of these new mako's cause I loved how fast the duke is, how it carried speed through the carves and how it seemed foolproof in bumpy conditions.

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Postby skullcandy » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:15 am

I love Makos... Ive got the 150 from last year. Pretty awesome. Not quite sure im sold on this new one being THAT much superior but def a fun board for chop and powered wave riding.

Ps - The 150 in mutant mode with tri tip in rear (center 55mm sides 40mm, goofy fin 50mm) is my fav set up for powered wave riding and hucking. :rollgrin:

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:34 am

Haven't tried one, but i like the colours/graphics.

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Postby alamos_kiter » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:10 am

Mako 150x34 owner here... excellent board, would never part with it... but I have true rail to rail concave on my Mako from 2003 I guess, so... what's new?
conc.jpg

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:17 pm

I wonder if the deeper concave (how much deeper they don’t say in measurement units, like mm.) .... may make it go upwind better... that has been the weak point in the past.

The standard Mako (not the classic one) has been a great board for many years... hard to improve on. Hopefully, the new design will keep all the old features, that are loved so much by their owners.

The test will be in the riding... can’t wait to try it.

I would like to see the comparison specs... weight, flex, etc.

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby marekmk » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:53 pm

I have the Mako Duke, BEST BOARD EVER, great company, great after sales back up.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:22 pm

alamos_kiter wrote:Mako 150x34 owner here... excellent board, would never part with it... but I have true rail to rail concave on my Mako from 2003 I guess, so... what's new?
The attachment conc.jpg is no longer available
Yepp. Wondering same. I'm trying to sell my Mako Classic. Need a lighter TT and ride strapless surfboard in any kind of chop or surf. Only use TT in flatwater or when getting bored with strapless.
I'm in Sweden, anyone interested?
Attachments
DSC_0181.JPG
DSC_0179.JPG
DSC_0178.JPG

Kirok
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Lynæs, Denmark
Nivå, Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Gudmindrup, Denmark
Ishøj, Denmark
Hvide Sande, Denmark
Style: Freeride
Gear: Mako Classic, Mako King, Core Fusion 139 cm
Core Free 9M
Core XR6 12
Flysurfer Speed3 21 M

Postby Kirok » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:42 pm

TomW wrote:
alamos_kiter wrote:Mako 150x34 owner here... excellent board, would never part with it... but I have true rail to rail concave on my Mako from 2003 I guess, so... what's new?
conc.jpg
Yepp. Wondering same. I'm trying to sell my Mako Classic. Need a lighter TT and ride strapless surfboard in any kind of chop or surf. Only use TT in flatwater or when getting bored with strapless.
I'm in Sweden, anyone interested?
What year is that board? 2005? I might know someone who is interested.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:28 pm

Hey all!

It's great to see the Mako Duke props people are throwing out there!

As for the Rail-to-Rail concave... let me add some background info.

We've been making Makos since 2002. As you can imagine, a lot of technologies used in board construction have evolved over that time and the Mako lineage tracks these changes closely!

Our original Makos in 2002 were basically snowboards, made for us by a company in Quebec. Later, we switched construction styles for the 2003-2006 Makos, one of which TomW has for sale here (his is a 2006 board btw). Those boards were 34cm wide and quite thick - they had to be to accommodate the pressures put on the board by the combo of concave and rocker line.

2008 saw us introduce the "Mako Wide" boards which really helped accelerate the demand for these boards. Originally, to get a board that wide we needed to use foam cores as wood had a tendency to spring back to shape and reduce the overall rocker line and concave. It wasn't until 2011 that we were able to finally re-introduce the Mako with a wood core but the cost of that was the loss of rail to rail concave.

From 2011 to 2015 we worked hard to reduce overall board thickness to both lighten the board up and reduce overall stiffness of the board. Now, for the 2016 season we are delighted to re-introduce true Rail-to-Rail concave combined with a light and thin construction and lower overall MSRP price!

In many ways, these new boards are what the Mako always longed to be! Take the Mako Challenge and see for yourself, contact your dealer or demo center today to get on a new Mako back to back with your existing board.

Existing customers will notice:
  • - Mako riders with boards from 2011-2015 will notice the new Makos deliver stronger bite through the turn, especially when off balance, lazy or with too much back foot pressure that would normally wash you out.

- The thin demographic of long time Mako riders who still swear the original 150x34 is the best board in the line up will see these new generation of Makos deliver the same drive and speed you are used to on a newer, lighter board. We recommend these riders try the 135x34 and the 140x40 of the new line up.
John Z - OR
Last edited by ORSales on Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”