Local Beach: Sydvestpynten - Denmark
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

GoPro Camrig Lines Mount Kitesurf

Postby Giorgio » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:58 am

I made a little video.

The kite lines mount is a lot of fun and you really get to see yourslef :-)

But watch out on lines tangling!

I made a little video that ends with my lines getting tangled due to the camera mount on the central lines.

The video is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoUHDRG ... e=youtu.be

Some videos on line recommend not to use all rubber 'line stopper' to make sure that you emergency system can work without obstacles (i.e. the lines mount). But, if you do not use all rubber stopper you increased your chance of lines tangling. I reckon in any case that the emergency release and complete depower of the kite would work as the pull of the kite will be much stronger than the rubber stopper grip on the life-line.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: GoPro Camrig Lines Mount Kitesurf

Postby Toby » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:49 pm

please post your link again, it is broken.

use the URL tags, you find the button above, in between you have to add the link.

Code: Select all

[url]link here[/url]

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:31 pm

I like the line mount too but it is a pain in the ass to setup and I also had 1 bad line tangle.

My first time, I used only 1 rubber as advised then my kite stalled after a jump, got line tangled and the mount broke in half. Camrig sent me a new one ;)

I have a high Y setup so the lifeline is not an issue. I set up all 4 rubbers now and haven't had any issues last couple of times i used it. Launch can be sketchy, ideally you need one guy launching your kite and one launching your gopro lol

One time I had 4 rubbers thing on and got a small tangle the camrig setup slid down the lines but didn't break. So i don't think the lifeline would be an issue even with rubbers on, if the kite pulls you enough it will slide down easily. You don't need so much force to pull the lines through so I don't think i would be an issue.
Though it is possible that line mount with or without all rubber make a big line mess which would disable your life line.

Giorgio
Rare Poster

Postby Giorgio » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:07 pm

[quote="Toby"]please post your link again, it is broken.

use the URL tags, you find the button above, in between you have to add the link.

https://youtu.be/KoUHDRGzInc

thanks for saying

Giorgio
Rare Poster

Postby Giorgio » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:09 pm

jeromeL wrote:I like the line mount too but it is a pain in the ass to setup and I also had 1 bad line tangle.

My first time, I used only 1 rubber as advised then my kite stalled after a jump, got line tangled and the mount broke in half. Camrig sent me a new one ;)

I have a high Y setup so the lifeline is not an issue. I set up all 4 rubbers now and haven't had any issues last couple of times i used it. Launch can be sketchy, ideally you need one guy launching your kite and one launching your gopro lol

One time I had 4 rubbers thing on and got a small tangle the camrig setup slid down the lines but didn't break. So i don't think the lifeline would be an issue even with rubbers on, if the kite pulls you enough it will slide down easily. You don't need so much force to pull the lines through so I don't think i would be an issue.
Though it is possible that line mount with or without all rubber make a big line mess which would disable your life line.

spot on... same thinking here

NGE
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Costa Da caparica
Favorite Beaches: Costa Da caparica
Style: Freestyle
Gear: RRD

Postby NGE » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:39 pm

Can you please share a picture of how it was the cam rig on the lines?
What what is ur sugestion for this not happen ?

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:29 pm

I have a high Y setup (f-one bar) so I put my camrig roughly 2 feet from Y on center line.

Line wrap can happen anytime your kite stalls and lines falls slack on top of the camrig/gopro. I have even had a line wrap around the high Y without camrig... I haven't had a kite stall in a long time though, usually it happens when I jump with rotation and land backward then i don't redirect kite hard so it stalls

I would say don't use it if your kite stalls often on jump or if you are not comfortable in surf. I have some friends who have never had any issues but they probably are a little more risk adverse when kiting. If you wipe out often expect the lines to wrap around camrig and have to self rescue and re rig...

Here is an example of my setup:

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha

Postby NHKitesurfer » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:58 pm

Example of a low V mount just above the swivel. The only time I have had things go #%@$ is when self launching or self landing. Please excuse the light wind day...but we just could not pass up a 10 mile down winder in the slicks here in New England somewhere :)

[youtube]https://youtu.be/V106idmdhdI[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/V106idmdhdI
Last edited by NHKitesurfer on Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Giorgio
Rare Poster

Postby Giorgio » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:01 pm

NHKitesurfer wrote:Example of a low V mount just above the swivel. The only time I have had things go #%@$ is when self launching or self landing. Please excuse the light wind day...but we just could not pass up a 10 mile down winder in the slicks here in New England somewhere :)

[youtube]https://youtu.be/V106idmdhdI[/youtube]

the link is not working :-/

Giorgio
Rare Poster

Postby Giorgio » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:02 pm

jeromeL wrote:I have a high Y setup (f-one bar) so I put my camrig roughly 2 feet from Y on center line.

Line wrap can happen anytime your kite stalls and lines falls slack on top of the camrig/gopro. I have even had a line wrap around the high Y without camrig... I haven't had a kite stall in a long time though, usually it happens when I jump with rotation and land backward then i don't redirect kite hard so it stalls

I would say don't use it if your kite stalls often on jump or if you are not comfortable in surf. I have some friends who have never had any issues but they probably are a little more risk adverse when kiting. If you wipe out often expect the lines to wrap around camrig and have to self rescue and re rig...

Here is an example of my setup:
Great spot!!! :-)

Return to “Kitesurfing”