Forum for kitesurfers
ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Slingshot Angry Swallow

Postby ed257 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:36 am

Hi,

Just looking for some feedback on the Slingshot Angry Swallow. What are its strengths and weaknesses in terms of how it rides.

What conditions it works well in? What conditions not so well in?

What size would be best for 187 lb rider?

Thx,

Ed

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha
Been thanked: 0

Re: Slingshot Angry Swallow

Postby NHKitesurfer » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:58 pm

Ed,

I have the TRex which is last years version of the angry swallow. I am a total noob on a directional but have found the board very forgiving - it's stable, works well in the chop we get here in the north east and on the days when we've had clean waves it's very fast and a good board to learn how to jibe on.

I am having a great time with mine as are my friends who either picked up the Trex or the angry swallow this summer. Oh, and I am riding it exclusively strapless these days. Way too much fun to even think about using the straps. I am 6ft4inch, 205 pounds and got the 5ft 4inch version. I held it up to my friends celeritas and with the chopped nose on mine it's about the same size as his board which is 6ft or 6ft 2 inch. Can't remember.

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:45 am

Hi. The SS T Rex Angry Swallow 5'4 2015 is a great board; I rode It both strapped and strapless. Strapped is like an old Naish Mutant strapless is a little bit heavy but still good for air tricks. The FCSII multifins system is very versatile and I prefer the quad set for onshore wind and mushy waves. For your weight I think the 5'6 is better than my 5'4. Here's the first video I realized with this board:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UioQ6IsYASg

And this is the link of the review (sorry It's in italian):

http://www.standuppaddling.it/articoli/ ... eview.html

Cheers
Carlo

PS: I haven't tried the new model yet

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com

Postby IanNJ » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:53 am

Im 190 and my go to board is the 5'6 2016. FIY: i sell these amongst many other boards.... I also have a much more expensive board but use the AS 90% of the time.

Pro: It excels in small mushy waves just like SS says. It is also great in bigger (head high) clean side off conditions. It jams upwind like no other surfboard I have used (recently anyway). And is pretty good for strapless airs and transitions.

Cons: the stock fins are cheep. I recently put new fins on which after yesterday i realized made a big difference on clean waves. The deck pad glue is cheep. My whole middle (the fancy looking one) has come off and my front pad is starting to come off now.

Get it! its worth the money and is a sick board for bigger riders. :rollgrin:

arpc
Rare Poster
Style: wave

Postby arpc » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:06 pm

Anyone could compare with the shinnster shinn?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:33 pm

arpc wrote:Anyone could compare with the shinnster shinn?
Apples and oranges....?

How would it compare with the old Dialer? I love mine, but the SS dealer here said the Celeritas would be a better replacement... But I want the cooler looking board :D

2016 are thruster only...?

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NHKitesurfer » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:55 pm

I should also add that I opted to go with versatraction on the mid section and entire front of board. Since my jibes are still awkward it helps knowing my feet are not going to slip off. So far a big fan of versatraction but we'll see how long it lasts.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:53 am

NHKitesurfer wrote:I should also add that I opted to go with versatraction on the mid section and entire front of board. Since my jibes are still awkward it helps knowing my feet are not going to slip off. So far a big fan of versatraction but we'll see how long it lasts.
Lasts for ages. The edges will peel up, the adhesive dies but you can just cut the "dead" section out, stick down new stuff right over the top then trim to fit. Easy... just don't cut too deep :D

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NHKitesurfer » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:10 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
NHKitesurfer wrote:I should also add that I opted to go with versatraction on the mid section and entire front of board. Since my jibes are still awkward it helps knowing my feet are not going to slip off. So far a big fan of versatraction but we'll see how long it lasts.
Lasts for ages. The edges will peel up, the adhesive dies but you can just cut the "dead" section out, stick down new stuff right over the top then trim to fit. Easy... just don't cut too deep :D
Hey thanks - saved some scraps from the install and looks like they may come in handy down the road.

fcwatersports
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sandbanks Poole
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay CPT Silver sands,WA
Gear: Slingshot, Cabrinha, Naish, Wainman, Ride Engine, Pro-limit
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot, Cabrinha, Naish, Wainman, Ride Engine, Pro-limit

Postby fcwatersports » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:45 pm

the new 2016 boards are superb, the angry swallow has had a bit of a revamp, new tail shape, Tri-fin set up, and the deck pads do not come off!!
But having been riding the the swallow and the new screamer back to back, the screamer does eve thing the swallow does but also carries more speed, and is snappier on the top and bottom turn.
i really think you would be at home on either but the screamer offers that little bit more performance.

Return to “Kitesurfing”