Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

minimalist quick-release

Forum for snow- and landkiters
ktouhey
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I fly a lot.
Style: waves
Gear: Naish kites & boards, O'neill wetsuits.
Brand Affiliation: Naish, O'neill - Canada Team Rider
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

minimalist quick-release

Postby ktouhey » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:22 am

I mostly snowkite in the backcountry where we need to skin for access. So anything to make gear smaller & lighter is good.

has anyone made/modified/bought a more minimalist and streamlined quickrelease?
currently I hook in with a locking carabiner from the harness to the standard loop on my ozone frenzies. I don't need to unhook ever, so I don't need a proper loop.
I do want to keep a swivel and a leash though.

Who is using what?
I use a snap-shackle on my wavekite bar, but I'm not sure I'd trust that in the cold because of ice-up.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: minimalist quick-release

Postby Starsky » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:19 am

Board Riding Maui has a simple release. I built one with bigger balls....that's right, my balls are bigger! Jokes aside, it's a very slick and compact set up..... You lose both the bulky chicken loop and leash without losing safety or function.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:03 am

Starsky: Where are you getting the metal pins?

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke
Been thanked: 0

Postby randycasburn » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:58 am

Starsky wrote:Board Riding Maui has a simple release. I built one with bigger balls....that's right, my balls are bigger! Jokes aside, it's a very slick and compact set up..... You lose both the bulky chicken loop and leash without losing safety or function.
Would love a how to and parts source! :-)

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:26 am

Sorry guys no simple easy parts source. The balls: One (white) is the same size as the BRM set up, salvaged from an old bar and is the pull towards "let it all go" release closest to the rider. The other (black) is about 1.5x bigger, from West Marine, and is the further away, push release that flags the kite. They have small holes drilled through the sides for the bungee.

The pins are salvaged parts. The small one from the release off an old kite leash, and the other was the clip end off a leash that has been highly modified into a pin with a rotary power tool.

The ring between them is from a marine hardware store.

Been using this system all season for foiling and waves in 9-30 knots. Had to released it under duress and tension at least twice.... worked flawlessly.
IMG_2958.jpg
IMG_2959.jpg

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:51 am

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:02 am

The bonus of the BRM system over most others I have seen thus far is the integration of the flagging line allowing you to get rid of not only the harness hook and chicken loop, but the dangly leash as well.

I don't mean to suggest the system as I have pictured it is appropriate for winter riding with the added issues of potential icing and loss of dexterity in winter gloves. It is merely an example.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:16 pm

I've used Winchard snap shackles on snow for years without any issues. Even after crashing in slushy conditions and having things snap freeze when I recovered they've been reliable. And to be fair, in those conditions everything can be disabled whether it be a snap shackle or purpose built loop system. You have to clean it a bit after the crash.

But for drier winter conditions that you find on land vs. ice the Winchard has performed flawlessly. Even under some stout loads. Which I guess is the point of the things

Here are some pics of a set up I used a bit last season. It makes for a low profile, light weight and clean system that is easy yo actuate and doesn't get tangled after numerous kite loops.

The blue line is the flag out. It is attached to the shackle and spins with the shackle as do the leaders. No need for a spinner up high, less weight and less chance of leader tangle. It can be attached to a FLS or to your rear line stall handle. What ever kite killing system you use.

This is obviously not a very refined set up but as a test bed I've been very happy with it. It has a long enough throw that for a lot of kites the trim is redundant and I may remove it.

As seen here there is no secondary "final option" release. It's on my harness and I'm too lazy to grab it for the pic but another shackle can be used to release the primary. Again, not very refined, built quickly, and very functional. Not perfect and a variation on several themes but good food for thought maybe?
Attachments
IMAG4067c.jpg
IMAG4066c.jpg
IMAG4065c.jpg

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:28 pm

Hey Starsky

Nice job by the way. I've been considering doing something similar but I cannot seem to get my head around how this will work with line twists... are they an issue?
Without the leash... there is nothing to get wrapped I guess..?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:31 pm

Hardwaterkiter... how do you let it all go if you have to.. seems like there is only one release in your set up and the flag line is tied to the shackle?

Return to “Snow / Land”