Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

minimalist quick-release

forum for snow- and landkiters

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: New England. So much better than moldy Old England.
Style: Adapt and overcome.
Gear: Foils and skis.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Ozone, Flysurfer,HQ kites.

Re: minimalist quick-release

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:29 pm

@ Laughingman. As stated I run another shackle for my final option release, The Shackle shown is the primary and the one that is on my harness is a secondary. :D

One of the objectives to this set up was to eliminate line twists. Which it does well. And for simplicity in conditions with low likelihood of having to completely cut away the kite the configuration as shown works pretty slick.

Again, just tinkering.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: 2008 Best Waroo 9m
OR Razor 12m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Space Pickle
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:39 pm

Ktouhey, just like you, I need to skin to win.
How about ditching the locking carabiner, and just run your open chickenloop through the belay loop on a lightweight climbing harness? I find mine very comfortable over ski clothing and less bulky.
You ought to build a trimless alpine bar as well, to save even more weight. Just put knots on the outside lines in case you have to tweak.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kp, MBay, Rond
Favorite Beaches: Kp, MBay, Rond, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen4 Flites 10m, 12m and 14.5m, 2016 Prodigy 5m and 7m
Xeon Laluz, 2010 OR Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6'
Engine Custom Harness and sliding hook setup

Postby Laughingman » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:43 pm

Hardwater Kiter wrote:@ Laughingman. As stated I run another shackle for my final option release, The Shackle shown is the primary and the one that is on my harness is a secondary. :D

One of the objectives to this set up was to eliminate line twists. Which it does well. And for simplicity in conditions with low likelihood of having to completely cut away the kite the configuration as shown works pretty slick.

Again, just tinkering.

Sorry HWK... I should have read your post... pictures distracted me...:)

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Starsky » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:12 pm

I can understand the want for a swivel. I don't have one on that set up and don't miss it, but I know others might want one. Thats my day to day wave/foil bar that gets by far the most use and its probably my cleanest set up. Every time you take something off its a trade off, but I end up preferring the simple ones. That one lost the CL, leash, swivel, stopper, trim cleat, and Oh Sheeeeeeeeit handles. With nothing above the bar, it can handle many spins before it would be an issue. I loop both ways to keep it down to a few spins max. Most of my looping on that bar is in efforts to save myself or get going. They are rare and pretty easily undone on the next transition. I guess I'm well trained from time on a Naish Torch. Love that kite and bar. It's 5 line with no swivel. Never been a problem even with up to 6 or 7 twists.

On a tt I kinda like a below the bar swivel and have one my other 5 line bar. I'm not a huge fan of the ones above the bar, although I have one of those on yet another bar.

I have too many bars!

Return to “Snow / Land”