appel
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kitesurfing the eastcoast of Queensland in December

Postby appel » Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:01 am

Hi there

I am a danish guy planing to go up the coast from Melbourne to Cairns in December. I plan appr to use 3 weeks going up and down.
But recently I have heard rumours that there is no wind in this period, a lot of rain, and maybe worst of all, dangerous jellyfish.

So should I leave my kites (12 and 16 m2) at home ?

Thanks.

snitkjaer
Rare Poster

Postby snitkjaer » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:14 am

hi i am danish my self and i went to australia last year in december and januar(not kitesurfing) if you are planing on using 3 weeks going up and down you wont be kitesurfing alot anyway, you will be spending most of your time in a bus/car. And yes there is jellyfish i think byron bay is the last place you can safely swim with out suits, going north, then just worry about the great white.... but byron bay is a perfect spot(exept for all the swimmers and surfers) and one off the few places were i saw kitesurfers in australia(the others : surfers paradise,nice wind, and sidney) there is even a gear shop. the wind was fine but 3 days is not a good statistic. so hope for some local reply. use kitesurferen for longer reply

cyclone
Frequent Poster

Postby cyclone » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:19 am

december is a bad time for kiting in queensland... if you want to kite, stay down south for december... all of NSW and victoria has some great spots this time of year

Shannon
Medium Poster

Postby Shannon » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:23 am

Cant speak for the East coast but if u can make your way west (Perth) December is the time to do it, summer temps from 28-35c degrees and 18-23 knots as soon as the small hand hits the 2. Plenty of spots up and down the coast and heaps of kite shops too. And after kiting we do this... :cheers:

jpkiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: NJ ( Lakes Bay, Brigantine, Tuckerton)
Favorite Beaches: Lakes Bay,NJ
Brigantine,NJ
Dock St. NJ
Florida Flats, Key West
Gear: Cabrinha kites, Epic kites, BRO-KITE POP 130X 40, HEIN custom boards, AXIS Vanguard+Nuskool, Kokotat drysuits

Postby jpkiter » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:03 pm

well...at least bring your snorkel...teh Great BArrier Reef is one of the most gorgrous areas i have ever scuba-dived/snorkled...Oz rocks..i'm sure you'll enjoy! jp

appel
Rare Poster

Postby appel » Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:08 am

What about the conditions in October ? Again I think mostly on wind and jellyfish...

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:24 am

All the info you need is here

http://www.boardhigh.com/modules.php?op ... tent&id=45

Check out the Port Douglas report aswell... for December Margaret river ?

Hardcave1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Out front of my house at Brighton, Brisbane
Favorite Beaches: At home
Style: Old school
Gear: 2001 underground twin tip, 2013 North Rebel
Brand Affiliation: North

Postby Hardcave1 » Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:50 am

I think the replies that you have are wrong. December is a great month if you intend to sail from the Gold Coast up to Bundaberg you will have a ball. Last December we sailed at least 5 days out of 7 with quality wind.
The pick spots in that month would be the Sunshine Coast north of Brisbane from Caloundra up to Noosa. This part of the coast is kite heaven.
Try this site for the correct info http://www.traqua.com
Once you get past Bundaberg in December you will be in stinger country and if stung you will know about it. These things are the size of you thumb nail and can kill within and hour.
Best kite size would be a 12 & 16.
Alex

appel
Rare Poster

Postby appel » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:45 am

Thanks a lot for the replies so far :D

But actually I have more or less decided to go up there in October instead and then taking December in Melbourne.

So how is the conditions in October, still Stingers ?

And how is the wind ??

Tabitha
Medium Poster

Postby Tabitha » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:55 pm

Either October(traditionally the windiest month) or December work for the Gold Coast, there are never stingers on the Gold Coast, fat blue jellyfish :evil: are another matter but they don't kill you!.
Cairns will probably be not so great in October (think it is the start of stinger season??? I may be wrong)
Keep in mind the Gold Coast (and Brisbane) are approximately 19 HOURS drive from Cairns, you get quite a weather variation over that distance! BTW Melbourne is about 19 hours drive south of Brisbane, it's a big country.
I'd say anywhere from about Hervey Bay (get a map) south to Melbourne will be ok in the times you're talking about, water is warmer in the North though.
Hope this helps
Tabitha

Return to “Kitesurfing”