Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What's your favorite lightwind kite?

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:00 am

Looking to get a new lightwind kite. But right now, I think my ears are going to start smoking if I think anymore about this because there are too many choices out there. From what I've gathered here is the run down of the research i've done

Slingshot Turbine -

Pros : Superior low end pull starting at 5 knots (probably the best lowend I've read
about)
Great upwind
Great Relaunch

Cons: Slow turning makes it bad for kiteloops
Everyone around here has them and I don't want to look like everyone else

Naish Fly -

Pros : Supposidly a fast turning kite great for tricks

Cons : Needs 10 knots of wind to be able to ride a twin tip and have fun (that's 5
knots more than the turbine!)
Reviews saying upwind on this thing is not that great
not digging the cheesy graphics at all

Epic Infinity V4 -

Pros : Twintip riding at 8 knots
Decent turning speed

Cons: other kiters in the area saying they don't like it
it's expensive as shit!

Blade Fat Lady -

Pros : Looks like a very fun decent turning kite with speed

Cons : Not enough reviews have been done on this kite.
Can't stand that this kite is called a fat lady

Cabrinha Contra -

Pros : twintip riding at 9 knots
Great upwind

Cons : It's expensive as shit
it turns slow very bad for kiteloops

Ocean Rodeo Flite -

Pros : Very light kite 8-10 knots for a twintip
Fast turning good for kiteloops

Cons : no power through the turns which is bad for kiteloops

Basicly what I want is a kite that I can take out in the lowest windspeed possible that turns fast and I can practice tricks on. With at least good upwind and relaunch. Right now I'm leaning toward the Naish Fly, because I understand that anything under 10 knots is going to be a little boring on a twintip anyway. Basicly I just want to go out there and have as much fun as possible in the least amount of wind.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Re: What's your favorite lightwind kite?

Postby davesails7 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:21 am

You really can't take one person's claimed low end in knots and compare it to another. Everyone measures wind differently (sensor up high, sensor off shore, standing on beach with anemometer, standing on beach with inaccurate anemometer, guess). The only way to compare low end of kites is to test them back to back on the same board.

The person who measured 5 knots on the Turbine was measuring differently than the person who measured 9 knots on the Contra.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:24 am

All of those suck compared to the latest high aspect race foil.

You want to crank upwind like a motherfarker in ultralight wind? Get your arse onto a chrono or r1 or sonic or.......

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:52 am

What light wind are we talking? I love my 17m flite. In flat water I can stay upwind in 8mph. I did get a chance to fly a 19m core back 2 back and it had more low end but it was slower with a lot less bar pressure. There are many good light wind kites out there.....what performance factors are you looking for?

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:17 am

In regards to the 2015/2016 tube kites, I have tried all those kites you mentioned except the Contra and the Fly. I have also demo'd the 17.5 Solo, F-one 17m, 15m Turbine, Zephr, RRD (? Black/white zebra stripes).I also have a buddy that's affiliated with Naish who wasn't to impressed with the Fly. In fact, he uses the 14m Pivot with a high volume surfboard for his light wind combo and he weighs over 200lbs.

I prefer the Fat Lady.

Cons: Although the low-end is good, it's not the ultimate light wind kite to get you out in the lightest wind possible. That would be the Liquid Force 17.5 Solo. Maybe a 1-2 mph less low end than the Solo. Sits a little deeper in the window than the higher aspect kites. Not a con for me but may be for others(beginners, racers)

Pro's:
1. Fastest turning of the bunch
2. Most fun to fly
3. Best match for my boards/conditions
(San Diego Coast/11-17 mph/Sweet Potato and Vanguard)
4. Excellent wind Range(some of those kites you mention can become a handful when the wind picks up.) I usually jump on my 12m Neo when the wind hits 15mph>, however, can still fly comfortable with the Fat Lady into the high teens.
5. Drifts the best(least likely to Hindenburg when you fly towards the kite). A big plus if you like playing around in waves, especially when it's big. :o

I also imagine that the Cloud would be a great kite due to it's light weight, or least that what I hear. A friend of mine loves his. However, he did say the 17m didn't have the best high end so he's selling it. Mainly because he's lighter weight and does pretty well on his 12m Cloud and high volume surfboard. I'm am also interested to try the new North Juice and hopefully get a chance soon. Hope this helps and nothing beats try before you buy. What makes a good light wind for some, may not be for others.
Last edited by TommyDuotone on Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:23 am, edited 4 times in total.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:09 am

I'd call Turbine 5kn twintip biggest bs ever. Maybe snowkiting on pure ice you could move with it at 5kn if you manage to get it fly.

I with over 100kg weight could ride a 15m foil kite when two turbines could not relaunch nor move the riders est 70-80kg despite their efforts. And I cannot ride twintip at 5 knots.

https://youtu.be/5CxSGhN4iPc

PeterB
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Wight
Gear: CORE GTS4 7,9,12
Slingshot Turbine 2012 17m

Postby PeterB » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:56 am

This isnt a wise topic, I'm sure if you've read anything else considering light wind you'd understand why. There's too many bs low wind claims.

All I know is:

1) Inflatable kites are not as good as foils in lightwind.

2) All the 17m inflatables start working pretty much at the same time all are good from about 10 knots to have some fun. But if you care about real light wind you should get a foil

3) Most of the claims on this forum for low wind are anecdotal and really shouldn't be believed

If you want an inflatable I'd suggest getting what's cheap and available around you as all modern 17m's will have a range where it's usable up until your 12-11m. The bottom ends are pretty much the same, within a knot or so. It's not like you'll be going huge in 10 knots, it's more about just getting out there in my opinion.

If you're serious about ultra lightwind kites get a chrono or other huge foil, they've got the best low end.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:15 pm

PeterB wrote:This isnt a wise topic, I'm sure if you've read anything else considering light wind you'd understand why. There's too many bs low wind claims.

All I know is:

1) Inflatable kites are not as good as foils in lightwind.

2) All the 17m inflatables start working pretty much at the same time all are good from about 10 knots to have some fun. But if you care about real light wind you should get a foil

3) Most of the claims on this forum for low wind are anecdotal and really shouldn't be believed

If you want an inflatable I'd suggest getting what's cheap and available around you as all modern 17m's will have a range where it's usable up until your 12-11m. The bottom ends are pretty much the same, within a knot or so. It's not like you'll be going huge in 10 knots, it's more about just getting out there in my opinion.

If you're serious about ultra lightwind kites get a chrono or other huge foil, they've got the best low end.

Agree..... I have stood on the beach in light winds with my 17m flite with others on most of the other well know kites listed above ..nothing worthwhile happens before 11/12mph... IMO
A few guys have foils and they may get going a little sooner but are a complete nightmare if they go down.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet
Has thanked: 0

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:46 pm

Yes and you guys are absolutely right. I understand there is not much fun to be had at 8 knots. Basicly what I want a lightwind kite for is just to practice tricks on 10 knot winds in the summer. Something that turns good, goes upwind and relaunches good. I am really considering this Naish Fly because it seems to be the most fun, but I hate the fact that it's a 15m, but they are claiming it pulls like a 17. Very very confusing.

Turbaani
Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby Turbaani » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:01 pm

Your weight is also important. I weigh 72kg and tried a 17m turbine. I didnt like it at all cause it was pulling too much and i felt like i will be overpowered in 14knots of wind.

I prefer a faster lighter feel kite. A 100kg guy would love the pull of turbine i guess.

Return to “Kitesurfing”