Flysufer lotus fabric long term

Forum for snow- and landkiters
windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES
Brand Affiliation: None

Flysufer lotus fabric long term

Postby windrider1 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:11 am

I would appreciate any long term owners of the flysurfer 4 lotus give me a review or update of the condition of the fabric . I recently purchased a 15m And love the kite and im thinking of getting another size to add to my quiver but im worried about the material its so thin and light . I kite every week and dont want to have to get a new kite in 2 to 3 years as we knw these kites cost a fortune. Lol my last foil lasted about 6 years of weekly use landboarding. Anyone care to give me an update on the condition of their lotus. Im looking for people who use it atleast once a week. Thanks in advance

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings
Has thanked: 0

Re: Flysufer lotus fabric long term

Postby Johhnn » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:17 pm

I've had the 12 m Lotus for 1 year now. It has 32 sessions (cycles) and a total of 29 hours and 47 minutes on it. I hydrofoil so I haven't used it a lot compared to my smaller kites. A 12 m foil kite is very big for me on a hydrofoil.

The kites haven't been out that long, so I don't know how much "long term" information there is. It seems to be holding up pretty well. The fabric is both glued and stitched, but the glue is not holding completely together along some seams. I don't think any seams have completely come apart, yet, but the edges of the fabric are starting to pull up here and there. It seems hard to stick anything to that fabric. People have complained about not being able to get water out of the inside of the kite, but I find it dries out completely when I hang it in my basement with the dehumidifier running.

The main thing I worry about is long term stability and performance. I have the Speed 3 12 m dlx and it has stopped flying as nicely as it did in the beginning. I need to look into the bridle line lengths and maybe, just maybe, I can get it to be good again. I have already tried mixer adjustments and "stretching" the bridles. Of course now that I have the new kite, I don't put as much effort into taking the old one out and tweaking it.

I just got a 10 m Lotus, so I'm sure hoping they last a long time. Overall, I like these kites a lot. I'll look forward to any other comments people have.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windrider1 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:05 pm

Thanks for your input.

Johhnn wrote:I've had the 12 m Lotus for 1 year now. It has 32 sessions (cycles) and a total of 29 hours and 47 minutes on it. I hydrofoil so I haven't used it a lot compared to my smaller kites. A 12 m foil kite is very big for me on a hydrofoil.

The kites haven't been out that long, so I don't know how much "long term" information there is. It seems to be holding up pretty well. The fabric is both glued and stitched, but the glue is not holding completely together along some seams. I don't think any seams have completely come apart, yet, but the edges of the fabric are starting to pull up here and there. It seems hard to stick anything to that fabric. People have complained about not being able to get water out of the inside of the kite, but I find it dries out completely when I hang it in my basement with the dehumidifier running.

The main thing I worry about is long term stability and performance. I have the Speed 3 12 m dlx and it has stopped flying as nicely as it did in the beginning. I need to look into the bridle line lengths and maybe, just maybe, I can get it to be good again. I have already tried mixer adjustments and "stretching" the bridles. Of course now that I have the new kite, I don't put as much effort into taking the old one out and tweaking it.

I just got a 10 m Lotus, so I'm sure hoping they last a long time. Overall, I like these kites a lot. I'll look forward to any other comments people have.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:38 am

Before you think too long and hard about the Lotus fabric, you might want to try flying the Sonic FR. If you are an experienced kiter, you might prefer the Sonic to the Speed 4. I know I do.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windrider1 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:33 pm

The sonics looks exciting, but I want something that's easy to handle and flexible in all conditions and I think the speed will be a better choice. Although I would love to get a chance to demo a sonic.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:29 pm

I don't know about the lotus fabric. My speed 3 dlx lasted about 5 years. But that was 5 hard years.

On a side note. I tested 12m speed 4 lotus back to back against Chrono V1.

The Chrono has so much more lift and zing and excitement. I bought a Chrono instead of the speed..... The V1 was Very race orientated and had thin bridles and really way at the bleeding edge or performance. It punishes you in gusty winds!....

But the V2 has standard bridles and is way way more stable and forgiving. Yet it still has most of the zing of the V1 (its lost some of it).

So.. A Chrono V2 might be worthwhile looking at aswell. It fits your brief of a more stable longer lasting foil. The fabric is the same as their frenzy/summit. You should get a good 5 years out of it before it goes porous.

Side note. Apparently Speed 5 is in the wings to be released soon!

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windrider1 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:47 am

Ill look in to the chrono, wow speed 5 nice . 5 years is reasonanble for the price we pay for those kites. I still have my doubts about the longevity of the lotus though although I love the kite.

cosmo
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby cosmo » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:14 pm

Have friends with the Speed4 Lotus cloth, really looks like new after a year...but why the new Speed5 dont use it any more?
One answer would be the price? the lack of color choice? the durability?
They have to say why.

btw, have a Chrono and love it...and the local dealer here in Argentina give me a Sonic FR15 for a ride and have to say that you just like that machine! Is stable, quick turn, lots of lift and easy on the bar.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windrider1 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:25 pm

Yea im sure we wont know the real reason, haha, but i love the kite just not convinced about the durability of the fabric. im not too sure the fabric is really tht expensive either ill tell u an interesting story i bought a pansh genesis kite which was suppose to be a flysurfer knock off for 1/10 the price of a speed and the fabric was the exact same material as the lotus just a slightly thicker version, same silky plastic feel to it. but it flew like crap and i sent it back. :lol: so go figure i think these guys create an illusion and exclusivity for their product for marketing and pricing.

cosmo wrote:Have friends with the Speed4 Lotus cloth, really looks like new after a year...but why the new Speed5 dont use it any more?
One answer would be the price? the lack of color choice? the durability?
They have to say why.

btw, have a Chrono and love it...and the local dealer here in Argentina give me a Sonic FR15 for a ride and have to say that you just like that machine! Is stable, quick turn, lots of lift and easy on the bar.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:46 pm

Well you have your answer,,,,, fs have made it for you with the speed 5 and back to deluxe cloth.

Return to “Snow / Land”