Maveric Kiteboards - new skegless technology from South Afri

Forum for kitesurfers
bru
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: FONE Mystic
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby bru » Tue Aug 27, 2002 9:39 am

Read the full article (http://www.ocean2air.co.za) - these new boards have been designed and developd in South Africa in Durban by Rob Chrystal and Greg De Beyer. The board uses new technology and material to produce a faster and more dynamic board.
The Mavric concept redirects the waterflow under the board so that the spray is reduced and is pushed downwards giving the board dynamic lift thus reducing drag. The dipped rail allows the board to be ridden flatter causing the board to plane whilst still maintaining enough lateral resistance to sail high into the wind.

http://www.ocean2air.co.za

jever98
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jever98 » Tue Aug 27, 2002 9:56 am

Have you tried it?

What comes to mind is that it doesn't look nice. And often, I found that ugly boards don't ride well. (whilst the reverse needn't be the case)

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:16 am

I saw a patent pending finless board design when I used to stay in Durban, but this one looks very different so not sure if its the same, but the other one was ugly and worked up a storm.

Personally, I'm suprised more guys haven't looked into this design, because slalom skiers hold an edge better than anyone I know, and they use similar designs on their ski's. Lets see someone go through a slalom course at remotely the same speed as the slalom guys do.

I am headed down to Durbs on the 6th of September, so I will see if I can see Rob down there on the beach and get some video and photo footage of the board. Might answer some questions, sure I can find somewhere to post them.

Not sure if I could ride this type of board yet, but then again, thats just because I can't hold an edge with a sumo wrestler on my back, but thats my skill level, not the board. Maybe I can get a chance to test it and see if it fits in with the beginner/intermediate levels and makes it easier for them to hold an edge, because the page doesn't say what level this is suited for.

bru
Frequent Poster

Postby bru » Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:17 am

I have been test riding it for the past 3 weeks or so - and trust me the reverse is definately applicable here. It goes like no other board I have ridden - it gets onto a plane and comes to life and grips like hell...no skipping as you get speed.

This is the first release of the board and I understand your views on the look of the board but we are going to look to round the nose. This release of the board deals with the rails ..

Thanks

ROB

RobC
Rare Poster

Postby RobC » Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:18 am

I have been test riding it - and trust me the reverse is definately applicable here. It goes like no other board I have ridden - it gets onto a plane and comes to life and grips like hell...no skipping as you get speed. You actually ride on the back fin only at some stages so the water resistance is greatly reduced. We are changing the nose to be more rounded and asthetically pleasing.

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:23 am

Rob, mind if I get some video and photo footage of it when I am down there on my digicam?

P.S is this a follow on to that other finless design that use to be down there? it was very different in shape?

bru
Frequent Poster

Postby bru » Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:28 am

Athol
No probem - pop into the shop. This design has NO relation at all the other design - this was nothing to do with us at all.

Thw Mavric was designed with Greg De Beyer who is very experienced in hull design and comes from a yatching background. This board was designed from scratch.

Louis Cypher
Medium Poster

Postby Louis Cypher » Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:36 am

Wow guys! Thats a REALLY new design. Can't expect testing results! But i don't want to be hit from that killerthing :wink:
Whish you much success with those boards. Anything about the prices available yet?

Greetzzzzz,

Louis

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:46 am

Kewl, well, just chatted to Rob and got a go ahead for some video and photo footage when I am down and booked a test on the intermediate board which is slightly larger. Will only get video footage of Rob though, don't think you guys need to see video footage of tea bagging unless its for laughs. :grin:

Watch this space on monday the 9th. Should have some good stuff if the wind is up. (I hope so, getting really tired of this gusty inland stuff. Need some warm water and constant winds before I start using my kite as a small marquee)

jever98
Frequent Poster

Postby jever98 » Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:50 am

@Mission,

where r u in SA? Jo'burg? Do you get any kitesurfing done over there??

Return to “Kitesurfing”