Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Chrono V2 18 meter unstable

For all foil kite riders
Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Chrono V2 18 meter unstable

Postby Huib » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:15 am

@Plummet. The Chrono has flied now 2 times.
It is not all the time very unstable. Sometimes blows the two wings together. It can be on the water but also on land when you hold a break. This happens also with some very experience foil kiters who tried the kite.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:42 am

I have only flown one 18m chrono V1.

I'll be honest it was horrible. Tip tucking and general lack of stability. I got the feeling that maybe it simply wasn't inflated enough. Maybe there aren't enough vents for the 18m size?

Or it was just a dud kite?

If it doesn't fly well after 2 times out of the back then take it back for a warrantee claim.

BUT. If you have no foil flying skill it could be you need to learn techniques first. When I first got my chrono 12m it though was pretty unstable. But then as I learned to fly it better it became rock solid.... and I have many years of foil flying experience.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:50 am

I also tested his 18m v2. I flew the 12-9 v1 and have now the 13-9 v2 and my v2's are impossible to collapse when standing on the beach or Just riding. Sadly no 18m v2 to compare with but an 18m should be more stable or at least equal to the smaller ones.

The kite is New and has only been out of the bag for two short sessions, there is nothing wrong with the speed system. What i noticed is that the entire wingtip section seem to hang loose and has less angle of attack than my v2's to the point that out of nowhere the air flows on top and collapsing a large section of the wing. Surprisingly it also causes the other wingtip to collapse althoug i already was trying to restore it by backstalling.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:35 pm

Bigger foils should always be more stable.

hehe that will hold until the designers work out they can make AR9 21meter kites. let me fix it.

Bigger foils of the same AR are always more stable.

If you can notice the AOA is different from flying you have good eyes! Combined with the slack bridles indicates the sewn shape and bridles aren't matching. Could be a problem with either. The fact the AoA is less than the other V2s and it has stability problems and fucking up the sewing of a kite is easier than fucking up bridle lengths all indicates the kite isn't sewn right. Unusual it would be on both sides usually one side is more fucked than the other. but then you seem to suggest one side is worse than the other? It can be modified to fix, quite a bit of work and it will never be perfect. Unusually to see in a large kite as the tolerance for errors is higher the bigger they are. Maybe ozone can chop off the offending section and add new ones. Hopefully the factory is not suffering issues :o. I would be running to get your money back.

Zkatez
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Zuid Holland
Style: oldschool
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Zkatez » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:57 pm

I had a short try on his 18m too, at the first run out of the bag. On the water it had less low end then my 15m Chrono 1 and less up wind capability. It had only a tiny little better upwind and low wind capability compared to my Dyno 18 2011. I had the feeling the kite did not came into full speed, (all suggesting the kite has less angle of attack??)

I noticed the instability, when on the beach, when kite was overhead. Suddenly it would collapse and then the other side would go too. The tips were collapsing over a large part, as did Evan discribed.

@Plummet: I have always wondered what people where talking about when they called the V1 unstable. Indeed, when kite is new, you have to becareful not to overpull on turning. But when bridles have shortened a bit/or when you have adjusted to the kite it is just rock stable. I agree. I had newcomers on foils, tried my kite and nobody had problems. I wonder how many actual owners of the v1 find there kite unstable.

It is possible that the V2, as it it less performence oriented (quite a bit thicker profile, AR, and arc), has less upwindcapability and less acceleration (getting on a plane). This would probably be more noticible in the bigger sizes, would it not? But I would be very surprised if differences are that big. So besides the unstability, I think there is something wrong with this kite.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:00 pm

Zkatez wrote:I had a short try on his 18m too, at the first run out of the bag. On the water it had less low end then my 15m Chrono 1 and less up wind capability. It had only a tiny little better upwind and low wind capability compared to my Dyno 18 2011. I had the feeling the kite did not came into full speed, (all suggesting the kite has less angle of attack??)

I noticed the instability, when on the beach, when kite was overhead. Suddenly it would collapse and then the other side would go too. The tips were collapsing over a large part, as did Evan discribed.

@Plummet: I have always wondered what people where talking about when they called the V1 unstable. Indeed, when kite is new, you have to becareful not to overpull on turning. But when bridles have shortened a bit/or when you have adjusted to the kite it is just rock stable. I agree. I had newcomers on foils, tried my kite and nobody had problems. I wonder how many actual owners of the v1 find there kite unstable.

It is possible that the V2, as it it less performence oriented (quite a bit thicker profile, AR, and arc), has less upwindcapability and less acceleration (getting on a plane). This would probably be more noticible in the bigger sizes, would it not? But I would be very surprised if differences are that big. So besides the unstability, I think there is something wrong with this kite.

It sounds to me that there is something wrong with your specific kite. Have you checked the speed system and the Bridles? There could be something wrong there.

Here is how: http://ozonekites.com/images/uploads/pr ... -Check.pdf

It makes a huge difference if the speed system is wrong.

--
Gunnar

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:42 am

plummet wrote:I'll be honest it was horrible.
All this time, you're ragging on the Speeds? Tsk tsk.. :lol:

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:48 pm

Had a Chrono v1 18. While yes it was trickier than most foils to fly, I never had any problems like you are describing, especially out of the box.

Personally I would check the bridle again, especially the lines connecting to the wing closest to the leading edge. In my experience with that kite, even if one bridle line is off by even a cm, it can cause some pretty drastic effects. Had a tiny tangle once which would cause the leading edge on one side of the wing to randomly stall and dive. Really have to do a good preflight on those before you launch them.

You'll learn to not slack the lines when you are out on the water. Mine was always tangle a wing tip if I wasn't careful on that aspect.

I still liked the kite though. Was fast turning and had great hang time. My sonic 18 blows it out of the water though.

=J-

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:39 pm

sorry to hear about your experience sure sounds like it's something very wrong with your specific kite also check to see if there are any broken internal straps bease you say its not haopening all the time. I have the Chrono V2 18M and it's the most stable foil Ive ever flown in comparison I had the chrono V1 and it was very unstable I also have the speed 4 lotus 18 and all the previous speed 2 and 3 versions. can you post a video of the kite flying ?
Attachments
20160113_105832.jpg

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:58 am

So you find the Chrono V2 18 more stable than the lotus 18? Interesting. Even on slack lines?

Return to “Foil Kites”