Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Speed 5 vs speed 4 and backstall.

For all foil kite riders
foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Speed 5 vs speed 4 and backstall.

Postby foilholio » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:56 pm

It's amazing what effect even 1cm at the mixer can have on the kites. I had a kite misbehaving and flying to one side. Mixer on each was out in different ways. Leveled and it was perfect again. The lengthening on one side reminded me of my suspicions that those rings may slip.

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Armin Harich » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:23 pm

Hello windrider1

I am sorry, that you have problems with our kite.
As you didn´t bought at a local dealer we will try to help you.
You can send a video of your kite flying also to me Armin at Flysurfer point com as your problem seams to be really special.

It sound that your kite is too much powered up. Please double/tipple check the bar with opened trimmer, if you grab/fix the bar stock (not the CL) and all flying lines need than to be same length.

Even it that is correct, extend the backlines below the floater for 10cm which is possible at all our actually Bars.

Keep the Mixer serial all at same Level and remove extensions in the bridles while flying it.
If if fly´s better with extending the Z-Main, the kite is too much powered up and no problem with the mixer. Send me a video while flying, that i can have a look to your problem.

More understanding, what the Mixer does is explained here: https://www.facebook.com/flysurferkiteb ... 3717029276

Cheers, Armin

sparkin_larkin
Rare Poster
Local Beach: nc outter banks
Favorite Beaches: nc outter banks
Style: cruising
Been thanked: 0

Postby sparkin_larkin » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:05 pm

Hey Windrider1... you got the cats meow! 8) congratulations

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:28 pm

I appreciate your response and help. yes it seems like the kite behaves like its too powered up even with the depower trimmer strap pulled all the way in to the max it has some stalling behavior. I will remove the pigtails , reset the mixers to equal and take a video of the bar and kite in flight in a few days when the wind and conditions are permissible. thanks again.

Armin Harich wrote:Hello windrider1

I am sorry, that you have problems with our kite.
As you didn´t bought at a local dealer we will try to help you.
You can send a video of your kite flying also to me Armin at Flysurfer point com as your problem seams to be really special.

It sound that your kite is too much powered up. Please double/tipple check the bar with opened trimmer, if you grab/fix the bar stock (not the CL) and all flying lines need than to be same length.

Even it that is correct, extend the backlines below the floater for 10cm which is possible at all our actually Bars.

Keep the Mixer serial all at same Level and remove extensions in the bridles while flying it.
If if fly´s better with extending the Z-Main, the kite is too much powered up and no problem with the mixer. Send me a video while flying, that i can have a look to your problem.

More understanding, what the Mixer does is explained here: https://www.facebook.com/flysurferkiteb ... 3717029276

Cheers, Armin

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:56 pm

Wow the blessed have spoken :D I don't well agree with Flysurfer's rare posting policy, Switch has a much better presence. But you do make good videos like this https://vimeo.com/9488886 explaining the mixer .

The line lengths were originally discussed. I would be surprised if they were the problem. Lengthening Z 4 inches will change the kites behavior significantly, but shouldn't effect the trim point much, if anything the kite "should" stall more. I suspect a comparison with a line plan or even just for the Z primaries will turn up the exact problem. I would guess the difference on one of these lines between the 9 and 12 is about 4 inches. From that you could guess what happened.

BTW it's nice to see you move the Speed5 to higher AR, opens up more gap in your range for a mid AR. I suspect the Sonic 2 will have an increased AR too?

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:51 am

IMHO I'm glad Flysurfer doesn't post all the time PIMPIN their kites. After all when you have a great product you don't need to Beat your Gums on how great it is.

I also would suspect theat Armin knows exactly what's wrong with the kite. If he says do this do that then I can assure you it will fix it.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:13 am

What this guy just said. Hey long time no hear 14.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:18 am

It would be nice to have just a little more insight rather than the once a month thing like this. Maybe he has no time or interest. There is definitely a marketing benefit to being active here.

I do like Flysurfer and their ideas, their distribution model is just a bit outdated. I think all of Germany suffers the same fate, probably something to do with the conditions imposed after losing world war 2. Lets just hope China doesn't pursue the same mistakes.

As to this problem . I am sure he has an idea whats wrong,but he wouldn't be asking for pictures if he was 100% certain though.

looking at
speed5 mixer.jpg
speed5 mixer.jpg (66.9 KiB) Viewed 3020 times
You can see that Z is meant to be a bit slack, so if it was 4 inches or more too tight things might be a bit wrong. But to me Z actually looks too slack in that pic, the sonic seems to fly with quite a tight Z, but then it would be more slack so its more user friendly.

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many
Been thanked: 0

Postby corbett » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:00 pm

Windrider,

you wrote on another forum "I am not new to this game kid I fly kites for a living I fly every week 365 days a year."

You must work for Flysurfer.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:20 pm

Just to give an update. The problems with the kite have been all sorted out now. turns out my front lines on my bar were infact stretched a little bit and my first attempts to adjust the mixers was wrong. With that being said the kite definitely flies different to the speed 4 and its a little more of an aggressive and precise flier. The new profile does not allow for a lot errors in tuning. If youre coming from a speed 4 you will notice the difference as the 4 is a slightly eaisier flier which I prefer. The speed 5 performs more closely to the sonic. And to Corbett I ve been flying powerkites for more than 12 years but I don't work for flysurfer. :thumb: And thanks to armin from flysurfer for offering his assistance.

corbett wrote:Windrider,

you wrote on another forum "I am not new to this game kid I fly kites for a living I fly every week 365 days a year."

You must work for Flysurfer.
Last edited by windrider1 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Foil Kites”