Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Information Request Joker 5 15m Line Plan

For all foil kite riders
Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Information Request Joker 5 15m Line Plan

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:25 pm

I've emailed Elf twice asking for help with line lengths but had no reply. Several of my pulley lines are badly shrunken and need to be replaced, as do all of the pigtails that originally came on the mixer/speed system due to over-use (they're like old shoelaces at this point).

I'm trying to size out the lines so I can order/make suitable replacements, does anyone have good reliable measurements or a bridle plan (in English) to share? Love the kite, hate the lack of post-purchase support in the US.

-Tim

sparkin_larkin
Rare Poster
Local Beach: nc outter banks
Favorite Beaches: nc outter banks
Style: cruising
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Information Request Joker 5 15m Line Plan

Postby sparkin_larkin » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:56 pm

Greenhatkiteboarding sells them maybe they can help.

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:45 pm

2814 Canon St
San Diego, California
+1 619-866-3769

This is his problem. If he wants to represent Elf, he's going to need to help you and if not, you come back here.

You're question should be easy for him. He should have the answer on paper unless he's a joker himself.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:05 am

Bit sad you're not getting any info from them. Pansh is the same.

I can help you work out how long they should be. Measure them all and post the lengths I will give you a good guess. Kites usually use round numbered pulley line lengths like 100cm or 120cm or 200cm. They should have all shrunk by a similar percent. You can make extensions for your existing lines to check that your or my guesses are not too long. You will need to readjust BC if they where "already" correct and probably if they weren't too.

You can actually adjust a mixer to use oversize or undersized pulley lines. The mixer serves 2 main functions at it's limits, limiting or releasing B tension and allowing enough travel to reverse the kite. Limiting/releasing B can be adjusted no matter the length of the pulley lines. Being able to reverse (and depower) the kite will only work if the pulleys lines are long enough. Even with 10 or 20% shrunken pulley lines these can usually be both achieved.

One way to change the B tension limit while keeping the mixer profile the same, say ABCZ even, is to adjust the length of Z and reset the mixer, say to ABCZ even. You can do this by either physically changing the Z main length or somehow moving the Z/C pulley line join, say on a knot. Making Z longer like this will release B more increasing depower while reducing depowered stability, shortening it will do the opposite. Having said that you can change the stability depowered, the kite will change most in it's stability and other characteristics, by what profile you choose, i.e. ABCZ equal or otherwise. A rather simple and quick way to change this is to just change the length of Z itself. Hence making Z adjustable has other benefits. The other way to do all this is to adjust pulley line lengths which may or may not be more simple and you could use a combination of adjusting Z and pulley lines to achieve the same results. Depends really on what effort you need to make to adjust BC.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:04 pm

corbett wrote:2814 Canon St
San Diego, California
+1 619-866-3769

This is his problem. If he wants to represent Elf, he's going to need to help you and if not, you come back here.

You're question should be easy for him. He should have the answer on paper unless he's a joker himself.

Is that Nico? I thought he was on F-one's now?

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:39 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
corbett wrote:2814 Canon St
San Diego, California
+1 619-866-3769

Is that Nico? I thought he was on F-one's now?
The guy selling Elf Kites in USA doesn't seem to be named Nico.

Return to “Foil Kites”