Forum for kitesurfers
BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Mon Aug 26, 2002 4:42 pm

Ooops sorry about the spelling.....

My friend who got one loves it so much that he got rid of his twin tips....

He really needs to let me have a go so I can sample some real speed...

:smile: :smile:

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:44 am

Hey Francky, I think I've seen some video of you in Bora bora, green board? My friend (that Blown away knows) bought one back to NZ, but has yet to show it's full potential, as the choppy water and more gusty wind than New Caladonia is a bit difficult to deal to... (he's never owned a twintip)....

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:36 am

With a directional board you use the apparant wind speed to generate kite power so the gusts shouldn't matter as much......

Besides the wind is nice and constant at Eastern Beach and at mid tide the chop isn't that big. With a big X2 those Manolo boards are gonna SO kick ass in light winds..... !!!!

RUST IN PEACE :smile:

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 27, 2002 4:39 pm

For the most speed, a directional will probably serve you best. If you're looking for a bidirectional board, I would recommend for you to investigate the "skate" series by Doyle sold under the Slingshot name. I switched to a Jarvis and Drake. The first time I used the Jarvis, I was riding much faster than normally on a Lightwave. Very fast boards and the extra fin is the reason. Less rocker creates more drag, more rocker creates less drag in the water=more speed.

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

jever98
Frequent Poster

Postby jever98 » Tue Aug 27, 2002 4:46 pm

On 2002-08-27 17:39, Anonymous wrote:
For the most speed, a directional will probably serve you best. If you're looking for a bidirectional board, I would recommend for you to investigate the "skate" series by Doyle sold under the Slingshot name. I switched to a Jarvis and Drake. The first time I used the Jarvis, I was riding much faster than normally on a Lightwave. Very fast boards and the extra fin is the reason. Less rocker creates more drag, more rocker creates less drag in the water=more speed.

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com
In my opinion, it's exactly the opposite way: the more rocker, the more drag, the slower. The more fins, the more drag the slower.
Just look at windsurfers...

Louis Cypher
Medium Poster

Postby Louis Cypher » Tue Aug 27, 2002 4:57 pm

Yeah i agree with Nico.

The more rocker the slower because whater is lifted along the rockerline and creates a wave behind the board. Creating huge waves needs much energy and makes the board slow! Have you ever compared the speed of a standard wakeboard to a fast kiteboard? The difference in the forces to keep you going is tremendous. Best felt behind a lift or boat. Standard Wakeboards have much more rocker than most kiteboards (LF Rhytm 134cm 46mm of rocker) because they can use unlimited power.

Greetzz Louis

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Tue Aug 27, 2002 5:04 pm

yeh.

an early planning board needs a flat rockerline and has to be wide.

in really bad conditions, a big directional helps - here we can talk about scoop and volume.
but most riders don't enjoy these boards ...
so a chaep alternative is for example the liquid force rythm 1.47 (147x42). you'll get it around $330 NEW and for less than $200 used ...

jever98
Frequent Poster

Postby jever98 » Tue Aug 27, 2002 5:06 pm

On 2002-08-27 18:04, murdoc wrote:
yeh.

an early planning board needs a flat rockerline and has to be wide.

in really bad conditions, a big directional helps - here we can talk about scoop and volume.
but most riders don't enjoy these boards ...
so a chaep alternative is for example the liquid force rythm 1.47 (147x42). you'll get it around $330 NEW and for less than $200 used ...
My girlfriend uses it as her first board and manages well. She can hold her ground by now :smile:

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:59 pm

Excellent input. I have always thought of flat as fast. Also for light wind, I'm hearing that about 40cm wide would be good. Parallel rails seem to fit the need to get upwind well. Any more ideas on which of the available boards is fast? I really enjoy twintips, so would prefer to stay on them. What are the big kite riders using for light wind?

Thanks much. Great discussion.

Gary Vermont, USA

francky
Medium Poster

Postby francky » Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:02 pm

Hello
Yes aklbob it was me with the green board ..
Don't know why but this board was very quick even with big fins and all ..
The problem with this board is that it doesn't allow mistakes

Return to “Kitesurfing”