Well I live and work in Setubal 40 km south of Lisbon and 20 minutes on the highway distance to Lisbon. Setubal is the 4rd or 5th biggest city but hasn't a big life cost like Lisbon. Lisbon is total gridlock and polution !
Guincho is good on the summer, 30 minutes from Lisbon. Guincho is a beach and the nearest place to live is Cascais. Guincho is dangerous for Kitesurfing, because its a small beach with big rocks on the middle and sides. If for some reason you go downwind more than you should ... well bye bye kite ! And near Guincho there aren't choices, or its working or its not !
Setubal has some nice spots for Kiting just a few minutes away.
- Paradise Bay 5 Minutes (Secret but I will tell you if you come and live in Setubal) (S, SW, SE)
- The Mine 10 minutes (Also secret, above applies) (E, SE, NE, S, SW)
- Caparica , Nova Vaga (30 mintues) - Nova Vaga is the only portuguese Kitebeach ! Its beautifull in the spring/summer ! (NW, W, SW, N)
- Troia (You catch the Ferry (15min)) and you're on Troia a beautifull peninsula ! (W, SW, S, NE)
- Figueirinha (Beach on Serra da Arrabida) (E)
(Wind direction in quality order), waves on Caparica only or south along Troia and further south on Costa Vicentina.
http://www.mapblast.com/(x3lcuo55dqzbto ... c+Portugal
If you go south of Setubal for "Costa Vicentina" 1hour way you get pretty good surfing spots. Like this !
Pictures on (The Mine, Paradise Bay, Troia, Figueirinha)
Pictures on Nova Vaga
Picture on Troia from Setubal
If you need any further info mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org