Zero to Hero - Learn to foil board

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
yzbob
Medium Poster
Gear: Mixed
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Zero to Hero - Learn to foil board

Postby yzbob » Sat May 14, 2016 7:37 pm

I think its a bit dangerous learning to foil without good kite skills. Far more likely to get stuck in straps and get a bad injury. Foil going 1 way kite going the other.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Sat May 14, 2016 8:15 pm

yzbob wrote:I think its a bit dangerous learning to foil without good kite skills. Far more likely to get stuck in straps and get a bad injury. Foil going 1 way kite going the other.
That is exactly why here those in the know would never let a friend learn to KBHF with a rear strap ever, best strapless, followed by half cut front foot hook only, and only if needed a loose front strap with no booties.
R H

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby tomatkins » Sat May 14, 2016 9:04 pm

Sounds like a bad idea on many levels... the danger level, the learning curve level, the discouragement level...

Learning to kite is way more dangerous than learning to windsurf, and taking this kind of a "shortcut" did not work in windsurfing. I remember only one successful case of learning to windsurf using a "short board" and not the usual progressive learning technique of starting with a standard, large windsurfer to begin the learning progression.

Good luck.

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Sat May 14, 2016 9:21 pm

IMO, skipping TT will be helpful. Using near zero volume surfboard like old UG Kipuna might make it closer to TT. Building really good kite flying skills right from the start is essential. I see almost no beginner who is able to loop the kite with understanding how to control its power. They seemed to be rushed thru this part in order to get them into the water quickly.

crazysurf
Rare Poster
Gear: Zephyr and 7 & 10 Evos. Homemade TTs
Been thanked: 0

Postby crazysurf » Tue May 17, 2016 9:59 am

revhed wrote:
yzbob wrote:I think its a bit dangerous learning to foil without good kite skills. Far more likely to get stuck in straps and get a bad injury. Foil going 1 way kite going the other.
That is exactly why here those in the know would never let a friend learn to KBHF with a rear strap ever, best strapless, followed by half cut front foot hook only, and only if needed a loose front strap with no booties.
R H
Thank you to everyone for their comments so far. We are taking everything on board and there are some really helpful points. One of the main ones relates to the dangers of the footstraps. I think it is significantly easier to learn with front footstraps fitted so we created a homemade expanding solution.
https://youtu.be/cuJRGCCbw_4

I have been using this solution for 3 months now (after previous prototypes failed) and have never got trapped.

If you have any questions, contact us through sales@moseshydrofoil.co.uk or through the Website http://www.moseshydrofoil.co.uk

MosesHF
Rare Poster
Gear: Moses HF
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF
Been thanked: 0

Postby MosesHF » Tue May 17, 2016 12:04 pm

Hi everyone, I would like to thank you all for your support. I have just started and it seems already like the road will be long and surely painful sometimes ^^.

But can’t wait to evolve and do my best to reach the goals set, without killing me obviously.

The Rolla Bolla is actually a very good suggestion, I would not have thought of it. I suppose it can be used everywhere at every time so glad to know that now.
Just one question; why do you think that TT is not necessary? I have included it into my 16 weeks training program, but as I don’t have so much time..

Here is briefly the program I have in mind, don’t hesitate to tell me what you feel about it:
- Week 1 and 2: Fly small land kite (at least 2hours every 2 days)
- Week 2 and 3: Fly LEI Kite
- Week 2: Buy Rolla Bolla, wetsuit, wetsuit boots; Maybe borrow mountain board
- Week 4: More LEI flying, body dragging, mountain boarding
- Week 8: Learn on water with TT or directional (more moving time)
- Week 10: Get control of kite, master down loops, learn scares, etc…
- Week 12: Foil behind a ski boat (expanding foot straps)
- Week 16: Foil with the kite

I will keep posting on blogs and Social Network about this experience, if you are interested don’t hesitate to follow me and Moses Hydrofoil UK on:
FB: https://www.facebook.com/MosesHF/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Moses_HF_UK
Blog: https://zerotoheromoseshydrofoiling.wordpress.com/

Many thanks again

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue May 17, 2016 4:41 pm

"Zero to hero" is trademarked by Real and they have sued people for using that term in the past

viewtopic.php?t=2343930

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue May 17, 2016 6:34 pm

I see no purpose of a TT at all and would just skip it and save the (waste of) time :wink:

A directional waveboard not too curvy, with straps can be ridden easier - it "tracks" itself in the right direction, so you dont have to stand with your rear leg bent and try to avoid skipping sideways - like each and every new kitesurfer does when starting.

Also, you can ride with less kitepower as it floats and glides better, thus easier to learn to ride as you can keep going easier, as you will have to learn to keep momentum (pull) using the kite, which is difficult when starting.

Last but not least - a TT will have absolutely no resemblance to what you are going to ride, a hydrofoil that is :naughty:

The learning behind a boat I am not so sure about - if lots of time and you learn this way, excellent and easier when you get to the kite+foil.
But it is way harder to learn/balance/ride with a forward pull, than when you have a kite (lines) to lean against sideways.
But if others have got good experiences you learn fast this way, okay then :D

8) Peter

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.