Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

where to buy parts to build a custom bar?

For all foil kite riders
fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR
Brand Affiliation: None

where to buy parts to build a custom bar?

Postby fun2kite » Mon May 23, 2016 7:51 am

Hi All,

Anybody can suggest how to find spare parts to build a custom bar. Bar/leash typically consists of :
leaders, QR release, rings, stopper balls, clit etc.

If I wanted to buy all those parts online. but not as already kitesurfing spare parts, but as original parts on a generic site. Where would I go?
And what do I search for?

If I search for QR release on Alibaba, it will not come up as the piece displayed below, is probably called something else and just adapted by kite companies to be a QR release.

Any ideas?

I am looking for:

QR release
stopper balls
clit
rings
swivel

Is there a place to buy all of that as raw parts?

-D.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-05-23 at 11.13.42 AM.png

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Re: where to buy parts to build a custom bar?

Postby Peert » Mon May 23, 2016 1:29 pm

I bought parts for my frankenbar from switchkites.
All parts of the switch bar are available separately for reasonable prices.

Currently I want to equip one bar with the cloud CCS quick release setup. I have problems in finding the P-shaped stainles steel parts that are commonly used in the release system of leashes.. easiest would be to take them from (old) leashes. But I do not have extra hanging around.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Mon May 23, 2016 3:00 pm

Most parts can be gotten from sailing/marine shops. Still you will need to modify and fabricate stuff.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon May 23, 2016 3:52 pm

fun2kite wrote:Hi All,

Anybody can suggest how to find spare parts to build a custom bar. Bar/leash typically consists of :
leaders, QR release, rings, stopper balls, clit etc.

If I wanted to buy all those parts online. but not as already kitesurfing spare parts, but as original parts on a generic site. Where would I go?
most of the parts can be sourced directly from the manufacturers but are also normally sold as repair parts from all your normal kiteboarding shops. cheapest way is to source a used control bar and part it up this will also probably give you a set of lines. so go look for a used control bar, make sure it has the size of hole that you like where the chicken line passes through. You can also buy a used control bar by itself for about $20. I haven't seen a good way to get the control bar itself from any vendor except switch which runs $50 or so. Then you buy the swivel from whichever vendor you like that cost varies a lot, but I like the ozone megron that costs $80, and then source the quick release. Get the one you like. For instance the naish swivel costs $50. You can get a cheap quick release but if you are building a custom bar you probably want to get the one you like the best. Then sources the various parts you need o-rings cleats extra dyneema for leaders and the chicken line stuff like that will run you another $30 or so get them at your marine shop whichever one you prefer. total cost will be about $180 but if you end up having to also source a set of lines that will add another $80 and put the cost of the total build to around $260. Now you look at this and go online look at a brand new naish control bar from last year or the year before, like for instance the 2014 naish universal control bar sells for $240 you understand after you put in the labor and the time and shipping costs, what you really need to be sure of is that you are building a control bar exactly the way you like it. don't build a half ass bar just because it's cheaper, go look for last year's or the year before's control bar if you are just trying to do it cheap last year's control bar will be several hundred dollars cheaper than this year's model and is the best way to save money. so building your control bar should be about making it the way you like it not about money.

I don't like the switch components except for the control bar itself, that seems ok. don't like their V connector, don't like the quick release, but everyone is different figure out which components you like. That switch quick release is a lot cheaper only $25 or so compared to the $80 for the ozone but is that why you build a control bar so it's cheap?

I was following an ebay sale for a used 2014 naish race control bar just sold for $91 in perfect condition. Almost bought it but decided I had too many control bars already.

Gigi;)
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Gigi;) » Tue May 24, 2016 6:52 am

We can make custom bar for you, while the base (handle, QR, floaters) are standard like on our Force bar (http://drtuba.eu/all-kite-products/repa ... 5-complete), we can change all the rest things, eg. leader lengths, depower thickness/lengths, PU covering, power adjuster (pull-pull, clam cleat or new slingshot sentinel trim block), central leaders,...

Contact us on info @ drtuba . eu and describe your needs ;)

:bye:

fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR

Postby fun2kite » Wed May 25, 2016 3:06 am

Thank you all for your suggestions. Seems like sourcing an old used bar and salvage the parts I need, maybe the most efficient solution.
At the end, I just want a bar without a chicken loop as on the picture I posted.

I went to various kite manufactures websites yesterday and saw that replacement parts are quite expensive and if all bought separate will cost almost as much as a new bar.

ragzilla
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Favorite Beaches: none
Style: break shit!!!!!
Gear: slingy
Has thanked: 0

Postby ragzilla » Wed May 25, 2016 3:32 am

Ive built a customer bar.
It can be a bit of a headache if you don't have a vast knowledge of what your doings and rope skills.

I used an old circa 2009 skinful bar, and changed the QR for an 2014 ozone with PU tube.
I also converted the below bar trim to above bar clamcleat. I also put a super long trim on it to get extra trim for my 15 & 17m kite's.
Worked great but I scrapped it together from bar I had and stole from mates.

I've used all bars from the big 5 brands..... and I gotta say..... the very best bar & QR system I've used is without a doubt the GAASTRA bar...... particularly if your doing kiteloops...... the lines don't have a swivel...... instead, the swivel is built into the QR and to untwist your lines all you do is sheet in all the way....... most incredible system..... fool proof everytime...... most swivels do work, but once they get a season old they start to run crappy.

If youre looping, then deff try build a Gaastra QR up........ having the Swivel built into the QR also makes the line set-up super clean and simple.
No clutter up the lines, no extra bit of line, no hard to replace rings or shackles, it's just so simple and user friendly, particularly if you are savvy and do your own repairs and modifications.

Note****
I do not ride for gaastra. I don't work for them or have any affiliation...... I don't even own any of their kites, I only own & fly SS fuels.....
I never intended to keep using my gaastra bar, I just needed a cheap & solid bar so I bought one out of desperation & impatience...... I didn't even like it at the first impression...... only once I looped the kite & sheeted in did I love it.
Best bar on the market for my riding, in my opinion!

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Wed May 25, 2016 1:59 pm

ragzilla wrote:the very best bar & QR system I've used is without a doubt the GAASTRA bar
Core invented this and Flysurfer bought it off them to use. This was a few years before Gaastra even prototyped their version. Both Core and Flysurfer still have the same system but it has gone through a couple of generations. The original Core/Flysurfer style release is actually still one of the best after being modified with custom bearings.

windmlv
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Gordon's beach, LaVentana, Baja
Gear: Slingshot Hypermiler 4'8", Moses 633, Naish Slash 7m
Has thanked: 0

Postby windmlv » Wed May 25, 2016 3:46 pm

A couple of interesting links for bars for you. They are race bars but some interesting ideas and top line parts. M

https://www.facebook.com/infexionkiteboarding/

https://www.facebook.com/FlyingSardine/?fref=ts

Return to “Foil Kites”