help with harness

Forum for kitesurfers
murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby murdoc » Tue Aug 27, 2002 5:11 pm

again: why's a waist better for your back than a seat?

when you use a waist harness, all the kitepower has to go though your backbone to your legs where it gets into the board and is transfored into spray & speed ...

when using a seat harness, the kitepower 'arrives' in your hips, leaving the backbone alone (can easily be seen - the drunken monkey-seat harness style :wink: )

??

or am i missing something?
i changed from the pro limit waist to the cabrinha seat because of pain - i don't like seat harness riding ...

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Aug 27, 2002 5:13 pm

it strengthens my back from the mid of my back to my bud. So in this area nothing moves backwards, but only to the front.
So it will stop my pain, since moving my back backwards caused it.

Cheers
Toby

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 27, 2002 7:32 pm

I use the Wipika Pilot Seat to, and it works perfect without any problems since May, when I got it.
John

Zoomie

Postby Zoomie » Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:35 pm

On 2002-08-27 18:00, Toby wrote:
I use the Dakine harness Fusion seat and I'm very pleased with it.
Hi Toby

I have the same harness as you and really like it most of the time. However, sometimes the clips that attach the leg straps to the harness 'unsnap' by themselves. It has not been much of a problem so far because I am very new and have just started to use my board, but has this ever happened to you? If so, how did you fix it?

Thanks

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:43 pm

Waist harness has better back support and promotes better posture.

What do the men who do heavy work lifting weights have at their waist?
A strong and rigid leather belt.
OK, no Dakine brand!! but vey like a well fitted waist harness.
If your harnnes is well fitted it doesnt ride up. And if it does a little it will go down when riding. (Ride de kite low)

jever98
Frequent Poster

Postby jever98 » Wed Aug 28, 2002 1:01 pm

What I don't understand is why a waist should be better for your back. You have to transfer the pull through your back into your legs, which means that you have to tense your back all the time?!

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Wed Aug 28, 2002 1:25 pm

Hi, Jever
With the waist harness your lower back has 100 % support. Stress is spreaded in a large area of your back and waist.
Body position is very important too. Is easier to ride with your back straight wearing a waist.
Seat harness put more shear forces on your back (we are talking of lower back).
as the two forces from the kite are one below (seat harness) and other above (your arms and shoulders).

All this are rational explanations. In fact I have used both and seat (fusion 2) kills my back and my old termoform not.
regards
Hernan

Mabu
Rare Poster

Postby Mabu » Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:55 pm

Zoomie,
Bring your harness back to the shop, you'll get other clipses that shouldn't unsnap, it's a factory fault on some of them; I have the same problem and it is unbarable.

Herman,
I'm sorry but for some guys with back problems like Toby and meself the waist harness is not good; in my seat my back is completely free and I think kiting is in fact good for your back because the pulling 'extends' your backbone! I guess there are different kinds of back problems that require the use of different harnesses. It's apersonal choice.

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Wed Aug 28, 2002 3:01 pm

We reccomend seat harnesess to everyone that is starting simply because when you are learning the kite is almost always pulling up. Once most people learn they stick with what they learn on. No matter what waist harness you wear, unless you are just cruising it will ride up no way it won't. If your's doesn't then go get a bigger kite and fly powered.This years Pro Limit harnesses are awesome.
Try before you buy.
Aloha R
Aloha R

lndpnt
Medium Poster

Postby lndpnt » Wed Aug 28, 2002 3:45 pm

A friend has had the Da Kine fusion and has had the leg snaps let go a couple of times, I'm thinking you have to be very carefull not to allow sand into them, so far I've had no problem except riding toeside I had the entire spreaderbar clasp release, which is an interesting situation that requires three hands to fix/ Lane

Return to “Kitesurfing”