Ocean Rodeo stick shift bar

Forum for kitesurfers
alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands
Brand Affiliation: None

Ocean Rodeo stick shift bar

Postby alford » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:17 pm

This new bar looks sick, deserves it's own thread. The industrial designer who helped OR is apparently well respected. Wonder how it will price out?
Here's the link: https://oceanrodeo.com/kiteboarding/bars/stick-shift/

madworld
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Re: Ocean Rodeo stick shift bar

Postby madworld » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:24 pm

06-1.jpg
04-1 (1).jpg
03-1.jpg
02-1.jpg
01-1.jpg

alford
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alford » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:41 pm

When the North Clicker bar was announced I fell into the "looks heavy, expensive and too complicated" camp. The Stick Shift bar (somewhat dorky name I know) seems more likable...maybe because it has the open slot and seems less mysterious and more comforting, to be able to see how it works and inspect or flush easily somehow makes it more traditional and familiar. I guess time will tell if it ultimately is the future and of course pricing will be a consideration. Maybe this is a better mouse trap... ?

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby alamos_kiter » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:48 pm

Last edited by alamos_kiter on Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:30 pm

Looks like the left leader is located in an external groove.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:07 pm

Hi Guys. I will do my best to respond to all questions on this bar here.

Regarding the comments so far. We have been working on this bar since 2010 in concert with Rudo Enserink (Rudo, Ross, Richard = R3). The single biggest delay in its production was getting the ultra lightweight composite bar made. This bar is a unique U shape to allow for the lines to travel under the bar (not through it). This ensures all debris is easily flushed from the bar and makes on the spot repairs and inspection easy.

Power level in the bar is indicated by markings on the starboard leader line. Pre-production used hash lines, production will likely feature a colour gradient that fades from bright green to red. The rear lines also feature a tensioner that will automatically pay out extra line as you adjust the bar on the beach, making pre-launch trim adjustment easy.

Costs are still being finalized so I can't comment but it won't require a 2nd mortgage.

Want to address some other comments I saw with regards to the concept in general. This design may not be for every rider but we feel it is the ideal choice for the vast majority of riders as it addresses a number of concerns:

- The system is simple and intuitive and allows you to never need to take your hands off the bar to depower.
- Ensures if the trim system fails you go to full depower - not full power as with all traditional front line trim bars
- keeps the trim adjustor easily within reach while affording the rider their choice of near infinite amounts of bar throw
- removes the trim adjustment from the front lines and ensures a tangle free depower with every safety eject
- the back lines carry much less load so trim adjustment is no harder than turning a door handle
- back lines under less load = less wear and tear on the trim adjustment lines = less maintenance of a bar and less breakdown at sea
- Gives riders 'micro adjustment' ability when sailing. (I never thought I would use this but it's like the seat adjustors on a mountain bike, now that I have the ability, I am tweaking my trim all the time).

Alamos, we are not aware of any other brands that hold patents or patent applications for this concept.

Pease post questions here, I will get to them as soon as I can... as you might expect, things are a bit hectic in the office today.

For those of you interested in pre-ordering a bar for approx October delivery - please sign up on our website. Early bird sign ups will get priority (along with media and demo / dealer centers). Full availability is scheduled for Christmas.

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil

Postby windybrit » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:44 pm

Looks most interesting... I'd love to be able to say I "drive a stick" again. 2 questions when you have half a mo' please.
1, High or Low Y ?
2. Safety line runs inside the centre PU tube ?

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:50 pm

windybrit wrote:Looks most interesting... I'd love to be able to say I "drive a stick" again. 2 questions when you have half a mo' please.
1, High or Low Y ?
Current design is a relatively high Y to allow maximum options for the sliding stopper ball. However, plans include a later release of a low Y option, this will be popular with schools, etc.

Safety line runs inside the PU tube...

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.
Been thanked: 0

Postby alamos_kiter » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:24 pm

Last edited by alamos_kiter on Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alford
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alford » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:06 pm

ORSales wrote:
windybrit wrote:Looks most interesting... I'd love to be able to say I "drive a stick" again. 2 questions when you have half a mo' please.
1, High or Low Y ?
Current design is a relatively high Y to allow maximum options for the sliding stopper ball. However, plans include a later release of a low Y option, this will be popular with schools, etc.

Safety line runs inside the PU tube...
I thought OR kites needed low Y, like the newish Control bar. Why is a low Y good for schools? Thought low was Y becoming the most common throughout the industry as single front line flagging and below the bar swivel have become.??

Return to “Kitesurfing”