Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kiteboarding in zero wind. It's possible after all!

forum for kitesurfers

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kiteboarding in zero wind. It's possible after all!

Postby NHKitesurfer » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:18 pm

I think this is similar to what we get snowkiting when you are going down a steep slope and creating apparent wind, putting tension on the lines, and gaining speed from kite and gravity. Then you go to jump with those loaded lines and nothing really happens. Like shooting a blank :)

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:44 pm

Maybe it's going to click this way, or6:
If you were somehow dropped far from any coast and no visual land reference. You wouldn't be able to tell if the wind you feel is generated by your own speed in a moving mass of water (as the breeze on you face when bicycling) or if it's "genuine" wind whilst you are in still water. The principle of sailing is based on the velocity difference between two elements; it doesn't matter which on is at rest.
A couple of ways can be envisaged how to get going. Jetski being the most obvious to take you out there. You wouldn't need to launch the kite first; you can do that when you're in the stream.
Aloha
or6 wrote:...
As far as relaunching goes in no wind....sorry mate, the kite is going to drift in the same direction you are. Launching the kite from the beach...sounds almost possible, why not.

Cheers :-)

or6
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding, strictly strapless
Gear: RRD Religion, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3"

Postby or6 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:30 pm

No hard feelings Alex, but that doesn't quite convince me. Like I said; theoretically, launching off the beach when you are in a fast current is possible. When the kite is in the water with you, there is no velocity difference. Using a Jetski would be cheating...could be fun, go for it!

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:48 pm

Last year I saw a video of some pro rider in a river, the current was so strong they could barely stay downwind, they kept doing big jump and tricks but the current kept bringing them down. It was a narrow stream. I don't remember who and where though.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Postby edt » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:33 pm

It depends on what the boundary effect/wind gradient does I don't think this sort of thing has been measured before. If there is more stagnant air near the river or current than in the open ocean it could be a problem. Might work we'll have to try it!

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alexrider » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:09 am

Good you mention the wind gradient/boundary effect to cover another aspect of the theory, edt. It shouldn't play a role however, since the wind gradient doesn't care which of the masses (air or water) is static. Furthermore, since I believe the wind gradient is greater over a sandy beach than over water (worth checking all assumptions anyway), and that (the gradient) doesn't prevent launching the kite in marginal riding conditions.
BTW, the more the stagnant the air, the faster the current, the better.
Yes the proof is in the pudding. Who volunteers?
edt wrote:It depends on what the boundary effect/wind gradient does I don't think this sort of thing has been measured before. If there is more stagnant air near the river or current than in the open ocean it could be a problem. Might work we'll have to try it!

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alexrider » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:38 am

I should give up trying to convince you, or6. :jump:
One last attempt, because I am gracious and patient, and there's no wind out there. :cool2:
What do you think your anemometer would read if you sat in a dinghy or whatever in a strong current on a windless day? I suspect you'd be reading precisely the speed of the said current. You can't be bothered to try, or to imagine? Then grab your skateboard on a windless day and push some speed (I insist on the required conditions) and check your anemometer. If it reads zero knots, then and only then you'd have scepticism would have been justified, but that won't happen. The skateboard, the dinghy, the kiteboarder sitting in the current, it's all the same. :idea:
The jetski is just to get you in the current. Beats swimming. And to get you back ashore after the demonstration. You'd be let go from it once there.
or6 wrote:No hard feelings Alex, but that doesn't quite convince me. Like I said; theoretically, launching off the beach when you are in a fast current is possible. When the kite is in the water with you, there is no velocity difference. Using a Jetski would be cheating...could be fun, go for it!

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:09 am

This is supposedly in 3 to 4 knots of wind, and they are giving him some speed to start with, but the efficiency of the foil allows him to get foiling. A light wind foil, sail designed for pumping, and board designed for getting a foil going might mean that it would be possible to get a windfoil flying in 0 knots.

Could pumping a kite be possible? Is there a kite design that works well for pumping?

or6
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding, strictly strapless
Gear: RRD Religion, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3"

Postby or6 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:21 am

Never give up, Alex.

I am actually convinced it's possible to kiteboard in 0 knots (theoretically), like I said. I can't think of any spots here in Holland to give it a shot...otherwise I would. I just don't think you can relaunch.

We don't really need water to test the theory, though. We could sit a kite on a beach (in zero wind), run backwards, launch, en then start running from (any) left to the right and vice versa. The challenge will be in the weight of our kites, I reckon. Indoorkitefliers flie without any wind, in any direction...but those kites weigh grams. our kites weigh kilos....

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:49 am

It doesn't seem that Helium is going to be a help.

http://theideafactoryonline.org/helium-filled-kites/

Return to “Kitesurfing”