The long wait of 9 months is finally over - the latest throw of the Firewire Tomo EVO has finally reached us.
We could not wait to ride the new Kitesurf boards hardly, so we have a threesome made their way to the Baltic Sea to the sizes 5.1 and 5.3 for testing. We are each 115kg, 100kg and 80kg heavy. Wind conditions were onshore and side/onshore on the Baltic Sea with chest to head high short waves. Kite sizes were 9m and 7m. For direct comparison, we have the boards changed frequently and also included the Vader in 5.3 with.
Technical details of the shape you can see here quite well: http://shop.firewiresurfboards.com/c.../evo-kiteboard
What immediately catches the eye at first glance are scoop and rocker - you might think Daniel Thomson had a banana used as template
We still need to ride EVO in good condition, but the following, we can already say:
- It´s pretty fast
- It can be turned by back foot or can be ridden in the pocket over the front foot
- It takes the speed with of the turn
- It immediately slips and goes extremely upwind, even more than the Vader
- the quad setup us liked better than the thruster setup
- Choppy water is absorbed by the board, even more than when Vader
- The stance on the board is variable
- It is easy to "popping" out of the water and stuck in the air at the foot
- The surf feeling is enhanced by the extra volume (5.3 EVO against 5.3 Vader) again.
FireWire is the recommendation the board a number less than to drive the Vader. What to include clear with when we consider not only its own weight, but also the length of the body! At 190cm and 100kg, I can drive the 5.1er EVO, but something is missing in volume and I had the feeling sometimes to push the nose down. Andreas with its 115kg and 205cm had this feeling also. Our lightweight Alex, however, the 5.1er EVO was fantastic! He was a little too large at size 5.3er EVO. I opted for the size 5.3, because I drive 60/70% of the surf day in German Seas and this little extra-volume to high esteem. The EVO has made an average day on the water a very fun day on the water!