Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to be affective in Very deep powder.

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How to be affective in Very deep powder.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:55 am

Ahh hears the rub quote the bard. I'm in Breckenridge for some instruction in instruction.be here till Monday. Would be more than happy to hook you up with my friend Todd and he would really enjoy some other riders.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:59 am

Oh and I now I know at your thinking the Mesa would be much better than here. Want to laugh, cry I brought my kite Lol

kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

Postby kitejumping » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:12 am

Anthonyshopguy wrote:Oh and I now I know at your thinking the Mesa would be much better than here. Want to laugh, cry I brought my kite Lol
Ha, yeah not enough snow anywhere up here yet, kind of odd for December. I'll probably just ride the resorts tomorrow instead.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:50 pm

There is lots of good advice here. I will just add my 2 cents.

1. I see a lot of snowkite nubes flying the kite incorrectly. Unfortunately, on some really good powder days, the wind is light and the snow is deep which is a tough combination. Instead of keeping the kite in the power zone (lots of loops and downloops), I see kiters flying their kite to the edge of the wind window and then the kite overshoots or collapses. So, if you are new (or have never snowkited in the mountains), take a few minutes to watch the more experienced kiters and watch how they fly the kite compared to those that are struggling.
2. Some kiters are out-of-shape and struggle in the high mountains. If you are not in shape, not only will you find it difficult to stay on top of the fluff, but setting up the kite only may leave you completely winded. So, get in the best shape of your life before going to the mountains. It is also not a bad idea if you live at low elevation to fly in a day early to get acclimated.
3. A big board goes a long ways on the water, a big kite goes a long ways in deep powder. I rig bigger for deep pow then I do for water in the equivalent wind. You can use your board like a plow if you get over-powered, but it is just awesome to have power on tap to rip up hills instead of looping the kite up the whole time.

Hope that helps and I hope you all get in a lot of powder days this year. Skyline was excellent yesterday with a foot of dry powder over a nice base.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:44 am

Well here's to all the advice thanks¡!!!! Sat went out to Grand Mesa with the new board. New 15 m LEI 1/2 on depower. Winds steady at 14 MPH with a least one gust of 29 MPH crazy!!! Worked it hard, fresh wax. Deep back stance and did you call it. Give up on the back lean and your tip goes down . Also figured out the board was an old school down hill not symmetrical. There for the center of mass was off almost 3 inches shoot no wonder the left tack was a piece of cake compared to the right. Have since adjusted the bindings I'm now about 1.5" off about as good as I can hope. All in all good day. Sunday very lite winds good lite wind practice. 8)

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:49 pm

Thats Awesome Anthonyshopguy. Glad it worked great. I was just in similar conditions this last weekend in Idaho. My quads are still burning. Only gets easier til the next season then it starts over again.

The funniest part for me is when I don't know any better about low elevation conditions its blowing a modest 30mph and Ill say should i take my 9 or 12m and the low elevation water folks think im crazy they are on 6 or 7 or even lower!
I know without a doubt a 14 to 16m is fully holdable up to 30mph like you stated. my 12 is good to 35-40 and my 9m only gets a little bit if its nuts and blowing even higher any winds much over 45-50 usually include snownados and I stay home.

I never truly fell in love with pow on the ski hill mountain (Long ago) as it was hard for me to ride it really well. But I have to say the kite makes it MAGICAL! You'll never forget it and will always seek more. I haven't been to a ski hill in over 12 years since snowkiting :thumb:

Return to “Snow / Land”