How hard is hard enough ??

Forum for kitesurfers
capedolphins
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby capedolphins » Fri Aug 30, 2002 12:18 pm

There is probably an optimum air preasure for the front bladder of each make of kite.
How hard is hard enough? An air preasure gauge connected to the pump might be a useful accessory.
I've just started on an ARX 13.5 and I'd appreciate some advice.

Cheers

Stretch
Rare Poster

Postby Stretch » Fri Aug 30, 2002 12:28 pm

I was wondering about the same thing for an X2 20.

capedolphins
Rare Poster

Postby capedolphins » Fri Aug 30, 2002 12:37 pm

The guy at the shop pumped it up for me and then flicked it with his finger and said "remeber, thats the optimum sound it should make"
Is there a better way - I may be tone deaf

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Fri Aug 30, 2002 1:33 pm

I use the following method:
Pump until the leading edge takes the C shape. After this point count how many "pumps" more it takes to get it hard. (depens on the kite and pump but with 20 more strokes it willl get very hard.).
Remember this number and them inflate this leading edge always the same way.
I read somewhere that a LE needs 6 psi and would resist around 15 until breakage. (notes of Ken Winner on the rhinos)

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Fri Aug 30, 2002 4:49 pm

Didn't he also say that the big pumps we use deliver about 12 psi max. If someone has that messaeg could they confirm this. If the pump capacity is lower that the bladder capacity just pump away till the pump doesn't work.

Anyway thats what I do. Just pump untill it gets pretty hard to pump any more in. I'm at about the limit of my pump, with out really forcing it. This seems to work fine with Takoons. they are good and firm and I haven't blown them up....

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Fri Aug 30, 2002 8:53 pm

remember that the presssure increases a lot when the tubes are heated by the sun, a friend left the struts inflated of his 17.5 arx and left it in a locked car in acapulco. Well, it blew up to say the least, he had used it once. I agree that is an extreme example, but take it into account.
Andres

Den
Rare Poster

Postby Den » Sat Aug 31, 2002 3:09 am

I friend and I both bought F-one 12.0 Magic kites. We were having problems with the tips folding over and other floppy problems which really hampered relanuching. We bought a cheap 30 PSI pressure guage and with some tubing made an extension (with a T for the guage) where we now insert the pump nose. What we found was that 6.0 to 7 PSI is about right. I found it intimidating to pump up the main bladder this hard without the pressure guage.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Sat Aug 31, 2002 4:47 am

Where did you get a cheap pressure gauge? I would add one onto my pump if I could find a simple small one.

Most beginners don't pump up their leading edge enough. And a lot of relunching problems are due to this.

One simple way for a beginner to learn is go around a launch area and feel the leading edge of the kites that belong to the good kiters. That't how I learned that I had to pump way more.

Chris G

capedolphins
Rare Poster

Postby capedolphins » Sat Aug 31, 2002 10:28 am

Looks like the guage is the answer.
I'll see if the gurus at Naish can supply the correct psi.

Thanks for all your suggestions

capedolphins
Rare Poster

Postby capedolphins » Sat Aug 31, 2002 10:30 am

Looks like the guage is the answer.
I'll see if the gurus at Naish can supply the correct psi.

Thanks for all your suggestions

Return to “Kitesurfing”