Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
kitesuffer
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

X-shooter 122

Postby kitesuffer » Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:26 am

I have had the new 122 for a couple of months (of Summer) now. The first couple of rides didn't really thrill me. It really is a small board and I was used to relying on the board's volume to compensate for poor technique (I am an intermediate rider (90kg) (still fluffing a lot of forward rolls and double backs)). I then had a couple of rides in flatter water and got the feel of the board and haven't looked back. I use it in all but the lightest winds (even with my 19m Fuel). It is a beautiful combination of power control and carving ability. I have found that most boards that give a bit of "play" on the water won't hold the edge in a screaming gust but this board never skips out and never catches a fin in a jibe. I chose the smallest fins offered. I have recently used it in waves a couple of times and while a bigger board could do better here this board performs pretty well.

The board is heavy for its size but still lighter than most boards in the 135+ range. The weight suggests it is strong and so far I have no reason to doubt it.

Downsides?
The footpads seem a little greasier than the previous model X-shooters. I reallu don't know why- they look the same.
I wish it had come with a bag like earlier models as no-one makes bags this small!
Puts up a little more spray than a bigger board in chop but a small adjustment in style settles this

Comparisons? I've not ridden anything this small but have ridden the North Dragon (sticks to the water too much & I didn't like the footpads) and the Icon (nice board but stiffer than the XS122).

If you can peel someone off a XS122 for a ride you should do so.

not annonymous
Very Frequent Poster

Postby not annonymous » Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:46 am

With the slippery pads, sometimes there is a little bit of the mold release left on the pad from the manufacturing process. You can usually remove it with a quick wipe with a rag and a little solvent. Mineral spirits or alcohol should work, it's best to test a small area first and avoid using stronger solvents like acetone as they can dissolve the pad.

kitesuffer
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesuffer » Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:50 am

Hey thanks Trent (it is Trent isn't it?) I'll give it a try

Philipp
Rare Poster

Postby Philipp » Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:03 pm

I used a 122 XXX for a few weeks in November, mostly on a Rhino 4 20. It is an incredible board, gets going amazingly early (faster than the old 144 X-Shooter) for such a short board. Also holds the edge really well. Will do it for me as a one-size-fits-all board, can highly recommend it.

Didn't have any problems with the footstraps/pads.

Philipp

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:23 pm

I have to make the note that Mike uses the HPL version, which adds about 350gr to the board if produced without HPL.
HPL or Resopal is very resistant to scratches and is mainly used in kitchens as surface.

You can choose either with or without HPL.

kitesuffer
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesuffer » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:34 pm

Toby,
I am very glad to have the HPL. A few weeks ago I hit a substantial log floating just under the water. There are a few black marks on the base of the board but otherwise it is unharmed!

windshreder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windshreder » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:55 am

XXX X-SHOOTER

I rode the XXX 122x36 today for the first time. The board weighs 6lbs 7oz or 2.9 kg complete.

I am 70 kg intermediate rider. The wind was 12-20 mph. I was flying a Wipika Amp 11.9 (16.2). Conditions were choppy swell and waves on the East Coast, Atlantic Ocean, Stuart, Florida.
It took me about 2 minutes to get used to the new shape. I have been riding a 2003 Wipika Catman Pro 142.
Here is a picture for size comparision.

My first impression was that the pads were a bit slippery but that went away in a few minutes. The adjustable straps and pads were super comfortable.
I could twist my feet in them when I changed direction and lock them in without any pressure points at all on my feet. The pads are soft feeling and grippy without abrasiveness.

Now the ride! The board holds an edge very well. The length although on paper seems short 122cm, did not feel short at all. It has no tendency to stuff the nose. In chop it was very stable and didt not bounce or skip. When the wind was light it stayed up on top very easily and would glide quite well when not powered. Edging to jump was effortless.
The board is amazingly easy to ride toeside. In fact it seemed almost as easy to ride toeside as heelside. Toeside turns where super easy.
The finish, components, construction and craftmanship are excellent.
You can see more pictures of it here. I really this board and I think you will too. Test ride one and see what you think.
http://gallery.kiteforum.com/gallery/albun90

I will post more info when I spend a little more time on it. I must mention that I won this board in the 100,000 message game here on Kiteforum.com. It was shipped to me free of charge but I owe no favors to review it or give it a favorable review. The opinion I have of it is mine and an honest one. If I did not like it I would not have posted a review at all.
Thanks to Toby and X-SHOOTER for sponsoring the contest.

Return to “Reviews”