Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How do you rig your lines ?

Forum for kitesurfers

How do you rig your lines ?

A/A - Side to the wind, both when alone and when other kites on the beach.
28%
B/B - J shape, both when alone and when other kites on the beach but try to launch immediately then.
1%
B/A - J shape when alone, side to the wind when other kites on the beach.
No votes
C/C - Lines and bar downwind both when alone and when other kites on the beach but try to launch immediately then.
41%
C/A - Lines and bar downwind when alone, side to the wind when other kites on the beach.
11%
D/D - Lines and bar upwind both when alone and when other kites on the beach but try to launch immediately then.
11%
D/A - Lines and bar upwind when alone, side to the wind when other kites on the beach.
8%

Total votes: 79

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Re: How do you rig your lines ?

Postby Bille » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:19 pm

Toby wrote:I think it is also to advise, that people should first pump the kite, get their harness etc, and after all lay out the lines, attach, and launch.
I see it quiet often, that people do the lines and then it takes up to 30 min or more until they launch...the lines all the time in the way of others.

Respect...this is a part of it...as important as winding your lines immediately when you land your kite, no matter if you go out 10 min later again or not.
I rig down-wind, (Every Time) ; then roll up my lines , "Immediately" , (every time) even when
i'm the only one or three kiters there. I don't like dragging my lines over broken glass or sharp
rocks to pull them sideways for launch. I don't even like the Wind blowing my lines over sharp stuff
when Ya rig up sideways, (tried that in 25Kt wind) and could see the disadvantage right away.

I'm not opposed to rigging lines on kite, next to or between trees
or cars - what-ever on busy days ; then roll up the lines and and go get my gear on, then carry
my kite to the best launch spot available, (Done that before). Your Gone in under :5 min
that way ; and most people will even launch the kite, to get me out of their way !! :lol:

Bille

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:42 pm

edt wrote: I always pump up first because if it's windy (25+ knots) your lines will turn into a rats nest if you don't launch right away after setting up the lines so that's just a habit I have now.
I find that running lines perfectly downwind (see my pic up there) prevents any mess with the wind, and they stay stable on the ground. Also because they are far apart, they won't get tangled into each other. In the meantime, your kite is going to flap in that strong wind for an extra 5 minutes or so...
edt wrote:I never cross lines. It's easy enough to understand to leave the red on the right on some launches and red on the left for others right?
Easy enough for the launch, sure... but I like to have my red on the left, ALWAYS, which helps when you have to decide in a split second which end to pull. (failed trick, about to crash in wave, etc...)

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:58 pm

So when you are water relaunching you what keep your lines crossed and pull the opposite leader I guess?

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:42 pm

edt wrote:So when you are water relaunching you what keep your lines crossed and pull the opposite leader I guess?
Sorry, I might have misunderstood what you meant. Thought that you would be sometimes Launching or Riding with the red on the right.
Nevermind...

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:44 pm

i will launch with red on right just like how you water relaunch with red on right. I often ride with red on right too but that's usually because i'm upside down backwards and being dragged through the water

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:31 pm

BillyKP wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:Doing it in exactly the same way each time is a good thing and definitely a sane habit, as it will minimize mistakes, and you can do it easily and without sudden "mess" :rollgrin:

The downside is, as we can see here, that because many "refuse to do it otherwise than the way THEY want to", it gets messy at tight spots with many kitesurfers :x

With currently 45 votes:

60 % of us always rig so we might block other kitesurfers, even when many kites :o
40 % rig side to the wind, when many other kites, and good to see that in fact more than half of us pay attention to others and change from up or down to side when other kites on the beach :thumb:

I think it is a bit sad though, to see that most of us dont give a sh.. about how we might mess up for the rest :(

Could be fine with some more consideration about others, and learn at least two ways of rigging lines :D

8) Peter
Good post ! Good topic ....Ya its gets hectic for sure when there is bunch of us... but I think its just the nature of kiteboarding. There are a few "dont give a sh.." ..but a lot of people don't understand all the chaos and how to work inside that jungle. We are all eager to rig up and get out there and we are sometimes blinded by that excitement. Even if you try to lay your lines in way that is courteous to others, its inevitable someone will land their kite, as their lines fall over yours...just as you are getting ready to launch. In many spots we go, there can be a lot of confusion and "head shaking" , "rolling of the eyes etc etc...but most guys are pretty decent and eager to help lift lines off kites, launch and land and sort things out when it gets tight. Depending on my mood that day, it can either drive me crazy, or sometimes it just makes me laugh watching the antics
Thanks, and yes you hit the nail on the head - most are eager to get out, and never get to understand the "mess" they make, particularly if not used to crowds.
Not on purpose no, and we all find out how to get along even with these messy line layouts some carry with them onto crowded spots, having no idea what nuisance it creates.

I think you are right, only a very very few deliberately dont care about others - it is bad habits brought to crowded spots so no idea what follows often...
But those usually having lots of space, and travelling to crowded spots, are the ones making this error again and again.

My advice to those 56 % of the kitesurfers who still rig "egostyle" (but most likely not aware) up or downwind WHEN crowded, is:

Pump your kite first, and place at same side as most others.
Roll the lines off the bar side to the wind from behind the kite, so everybody can rig at the same time, and others get up or down without interfering.
When lines are rolled out, run the lines out from the bar (you are still side to the wind) towards the kite, centerlines (and maybe 5th) between your legs and steering lines on your left and right.
Dont put the lines on the ground, connect all 4 or 5 lines one at a time, from the rear/downwind side of the kite - and you are home free no tangles no matter how windy :rollgrin:

Practice this now and then even when not crowded, so you are familiar with this method, even if you normally rig up or downwind.

Now you have a way of rigging and laying lines out that works when many kites on the beach, and crowded :thumb:

And when no crowds, do whatever you like.

Spread the word is my advice, and things will be a lot easier out there c",)

8) Peter

kitesurfvoilier
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Leucate - France
Style: Freeride
Gear: Liquid Force - North
Brand Affiliation: Owner of KSV little brand
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kitesurfvoilier » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:28 am

Hello,
Just need the place to pump my kite for ground works: https://youtu.be/WYeyXCFl9b8
:cool2:

Carlos_C
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southend, Lancing, Hunstanton, sea Palling
Gear: Fuels, Speed 4, Sonic 2

Postby Carlos_C » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:06 am

I was expecting Fokiten to be all over this thread............

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:38 pm

Roll the lines off the bar side to the wind from behind the kite, so everybody can rig at the same time, and others get up or down without interfering.
When lines are rolled out, run the lines out from the bar (you are still side to the wind) towards the kite, centerlines (and maybe 5th) between your legs and steering lines on your left and right.
Dont put the lines on the ground, connect all 4 or 5 lines one at a time, from the rear/downwind side of the kite - and you are home free no tangles no matter how windy :rollgrin:

Even better, my way :D

Attach your front lines only to the kite and roll the lines off the bar side to the wind from behind the kite, so everybody can rig at the same time, and others get up or down without interfering.
When lines are rolled out, run the lines out from the bar (you are still side to the wind) towards the kite, ignore the centerlines your just run steering lines on your left and right.
As you get close to the kite (or if you get a tangle) just pull on your steering lines and thread them out of the front lines (easy because the front lines are already connected and wont bunch up), connect your steering lines to the kite from the rear/downwind side of the kite - and you are home free no tangles no matter how windy :rollgrin:
Unwind your front lines if they are crossed before or after launching the kite in the air using the swivel.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:29 pm

Your method is an awesome twist to the classic "side to the wind" windmaker, and it seems to have advantages most have never shared a thought - love the idea, thanks for sharing, will try that myself and see :thumb:

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”