Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

x2 bar pressure killing my hands/arms !

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 31, 2002 8:58 pm

I was used to riding airblast without the big loop on my bar. Now I have an x2 14 and it is pulling heavy on my hands/arms. Are most riders riding in the big loop with this kite or do most riders put the strap and knot under the strap so close to the body that they are riding with the bar resting agaist this knot/end of the strap all the time ??? Opinions please !!!!

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dwight » Sat Aug 31, 2002 11:36 pm

Ride in the fixed loop when less powered, then use the chicken loop when more powered. Learn to use both and increase your range. If your arms are tired, your not powered enough for the chicken loop. Ride the fixed loop instead. I see a lot of riders become addicted to the chicken loop and fail to develop good edging skills. They also fail to get maximum range from their kites.

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 31, 2002 11:55 pm

Wipika Airblast, Takoon and Fone Mach 1 kites have much lighter bar pressure and more depower range than other brands currently on the market. You're going to have to get used to the heavier pressure:-) I have to use the harness line when I ride other kites and usually can;t ride as long as with the aforementioned kites because my arms get tired.

Marina

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 01, 2002 2:21 pm

The X2 will have less bar pressure if you connect your front lines to the inner connection point. Also jumping in this position is a different experience since you hang more at the center of gravity of the kite. Nice floaty jumps.

BUT the X2 is really not designed to be ridden in the fixed loop but in the de-power loop. If you set up the bar with the lower connection point for the back lines and ride in the fixed loop your kite will be oversheeted and almost in stall.

The X2 performs best when sheeted out and using the trim loop only. When underpowered, sheet out and get the kite moving fast and you will find the power.

Sheet in to "stall" the kite and move it away from the edge.

This is typical for a kite that is designed to fly off the front lines.

This is not only my opinion but the words directly to me from the designer (Don) and the R&D staff at Naish.

Sean

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:59 am

I used the airblasts, and find the pressure needed to turn the kite is approximately the same as a nonbridled AB. It does fly faster though... but it isn't hard work..

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:22 am

the advantage is that you can feel the kite better if you have more pressure on the bar.
This way you always know where the kite is and where it is heading.
Good for tricks and not dropping it

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:37 am

Don't really agree with you there toby
<YetAnotherAnalogy>
Its like saying that manual steering is better then power steering on a car because you can tell where the wheels are
<YetAnotherAnalogy>
My point really is that less bar pressure does not mean that you don't know what the kite is doing you just need to get used to it.

I fly ARC's and don't feel the lack of bar pressure is an impediment

Stu

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:54 am

I gotta agree with toby, Flying airblasts with the bridal on was a bit of a nightmare as far as feeling where the kite is!
Now on another brand of kites with firmer feel and it is much better still light enough but firm enough as well!

The anology to a car with power steering isn't a particulary good one - you can always see where your car is going - not so with you kite, you need to fly the kite by feel sometimes, I hope you don't drive by feel!
Maybe after extended time on a light flying kite you'd get used to it - I didn't in 12 months on airblasts though...

Callum

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:06 pm

well, some like it and some don't.
But from what I can tell and see at the beaches, the most don't use the bridles since they can't feel the kite.
But I'm sure that there are many riders out there who love the bridles and its loose feeling.

But for me it is an advantage knowing where the kite is due to the pressure at the bar.
This way I can concentrate better on jumps and tricks.

Toby

Vangelis
Medium Poster

Postby Vangelis » Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:47 am

I was flying my wife's Takoon 8.5 with briddles for a few days, and I was ending up flying the kite either too fast, or too eratic.
When we took the briddles off, I still didn't get the hurting pull (Takoon are supposed to be very gentle on the arms) and I finally knew where my kite is, and where itshould be.
In addition, the briddles are just another failure point, and they do break.

Return to “Kitesurfing”