Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

LF Solo 2017 test

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

LF Solo 2017 test

Postby abel » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:57 pm

Did anybody had the chance to test a Liquid Force Solo 12 2017.
I was told that LF took off the reinforcement in the trailing edge, thus reducing a bit the weight, and has the wing tips more squarish.
Also they claim that it's a bit more responsive. Is it?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: LF Solo 2017 test

Postby TomW » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:00 pm

Real watersports has a review. They state that kite has amazing low end and range, with smooth power and stability. But that kite us not fast, and that is intended.

Gobigorfoil
Rare Poster
Gear: Core GTS4, Best Cabo and Xenon Laluz /Zeeko HF
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Gobigorfoil » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:41 pm

In my opinion the solo in the 12+ sizes is slow and too grunty to foil.. high bar pressure and on the 12 I feel uncomfortable at 11 knots.. sold it (2016 solo). Their line isn't going for HF use, but just LW riding, so I guess no news in this version for us.

flaps1111
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Safor Beaches and Costa Blanca, Valencia /Alicante
Style: Strapless hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Skate S w679, w633. Airush Ultra v2 ,4m,5m, 6m, 9m, 12m,14m. Flyfurfer Peak5 4m, BRM 13.4

Postby flaps1111 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:58 pm

Gobigorfoil wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:41 pm
In my opinion the solo in the 12+ sizes is slow and too grunty to foil.. high bar pressure and on the 12 I feel uncomfortable at 11 knots.. sold it (2016 solo). Their line isn't going for HF use, but just LW riding, so I guess no news in this version for us.
Today l've been foiling two hours with Solo 12m 2016 wind started at 10 knots and ended at 16 knots. LF have a hugh depower rope I trimmed it at least 50 cm that the way works this kite.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:06 pm

Gobigorfoil wrote:
Very true - we have had some riding it here, and the same issues for hydrofoiling yes :(

Awesome for a LW kite on other boards maybe, but not perfectly suited for hydrofoil.

Too grunty and too slow (and flapped extremely).

Maybe the 2017 has fixed this - it could be, so exiting to see how it works :thumb:

8) PF

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)

Postby abel » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:07 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:06 pm
Gobigorfoil wrote:
Very true - we have had some riding it here, and the same issues for hydrofoiling yes :(

Awesome for a LW kite on other boards maybe, but not perfectly suited for hydrofoil.

Too grunty and too slow (and flapped extremely).
Maybe the 2017 has fixed this - it could be, so exiting to see how it works :thumb:

8) PF
The dealer told me that he's getting one in the next weeks. I'll weight and test it.
Regarding the "gruntiness" of the Solo, I'm relatively quite pleased with it, as I can hang on the kite when making mistakes during initial learning.
In winds under 10 knt I prefer a grunty kite vs a hindenburg kite :wink:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:53 am

Yes, gruntiness has advantages in terms of pushing the low end a tad down - IF it is sufficiently fast to give you peak power spike you can also push the marginal limit down, otherwise not really.

I can not see any connection to gruntiness and whether a kite hindenburgs or not ?

It is all in the design and hugely the weight distribution of the particular kite - so you have many non grunty LEI light kites that does NOT hindenburg, thats for sure :naughty:
Weight is also extremely important - but again, a balance between hydrofoil low end abilities and durability needed when used on TTs and in the surf.

A grunty kite is good in foiling when you are learning, or if really heavy they are in general preferred for "everything", as opposed to lighter riders who usually seek huge depower kites instead.

But many do not like the grunty ones for hydrofoiling because they will "run away with you" when you got an efficent hydrofoil, especially when going toeside where you dont want this :x
So some like kites with a more smoothed pull, meaning less grunt but a lot more depower and faster - AND the ability to create good apparent wind power (meaning not too low AR) so you can loop the kite to get going, but still good depower WHEN you are riding.

Both "extreme" ends of this, are often not that liked, at least individual taste.

Find it interesting, as I know, talked to a LF responsible last summer where we all rode foils 10 days together using many different brands, that they got aware of above issues for hydrofoiling - so one might think they have adressed it and changed some of the design parameters in order to fit most likings :D

8) PF

abel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby abel » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:30 pm

Sooo..., I got the Solo 12 V3 from the dealer for testing, but no wind forecast for the next days :(
Anyhow, weighted it and it is 3.40 kg (same as V2 :o ).
I was hoping for a smaller figure, given that the manufacturer stands that Dacron reinforcement on the trailing edge was removed, thus achieving a lighter weight. Mmmm...
Ok, so I'll wait for some wind and let you know about my feeling on it's performance.

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:55 pm

I have a V1 that I use for foiling, skimboarding and twintip riding, it replaces a high aspect 12m kite. In comparison, the Solo is slow to turn, and tougher to get upwind, but it makes up for it by hanging in the air when my heaving 5-strut would fall out of the air. The 5-strut kite was definitely faster and I could get more power out of it by swinging it quickly, something that's not quite as easy with the Solo. Ideally the Solo 12 would have the same projected area as it currently does, but would be a bit higher aspect. From what I have seen of the North Mono, it appears to be exactly this.

alsbirk
Frequent Poster
Gear: LF prod. and samples
Brand Affiliation: Involved with R&D for LF
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby alsbirk » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:43 pm

I´m riding solo 12 still as my light wind kite - and I kind of like it still, but it is not perfect for foiling. The WOW from LF is better for faster foils at least and has much more high end, although lacking a bit of the low end grunt that will get the solo going in lighter wind than other 12s also on the foil.

T

Return to “Hydrofoil”