Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Gear selecting dilema, please help

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 01, 2002 4:05 pm

I am a beginner kiter (87Kg/193cm) and I need to choose between the Skoop 10.5 and ARX 11.5 kites.
Please help me decide which one is better fitted to wind range of 14-20 knots

Thanks
Oren

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Sun Sep 01, 2002 4:22 pm

Don't get the ARX

Fabe
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Fabe » Sun Sep 01, 2002 5:02 pm

Attention!

Regardless which kite is better or which you choose, be aware that Naish and Takoon measure the size of their kites diffently!

You might think that the Takoon is a little bit smaller then the Naish. That is wrong - the ARX-size is flat or developed size, the Scoop-size is projected size.
So, the projected size of the ARX is around 8-9 square meters while the flat size of the Scoop is somewhat around 14 square meters.

The Takoon is bigger than the Naish!!!

Compare the Scoop 8,9 and the ARX 11,5.
Compare the Scopp 10,5 and the ARX 15,5 (13,5)

By the way, both kites are no beginner kites. But if you really what one of them take the Takoon (at least if you what a bigger size). The ARX is pretty bad to restart in sizes bigger than 13,5. If you take the smaller size the ARX will presumely be cheaper and the small sizes aren´t too bad.

Fabe

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Sun Sep 01, 2002 11:41 pm

the takoon is built very light.
i don't think it's stable enough to fit the recommendmends of a beginner kitesurfer.

the naish arx is very hard to relaunch and only flies well if powered up - so no fun kite for a beginner ........

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Mon Sep 02, 2002 8:03 am

I think you seriously need to consider a lesson or two and then you will understand the choices you have here.

There are issues like different measurements of kite sizes you don't understand, aspect ratio's, relaunchability etc.

Go get the lessons wherever you are. It'll shorten your learning period by a month.

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 02, 2002 8:59 am

Thank you all for your answers

These two kites and sizes are the available kites "on the shelf" (along with Airush lift all sizes).
I already took some lessons and by now I can only waterstart (and stand for 2 seconds)
The Skoop sounds a bit better for me (easy to relaunch, less radical) but the Naish have a good reputation and bigger market.
I didnt see any Takoon rider on the beach, and I am a little afraid to be the first one.

Am I right? or is it only my imagination?

Oren

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Sep 02, 2002 9:45 am

I wouldn't call the Takoon less aggressive.
The Skoop has a lot of power, which you will love when you are more experienced.
If you crash your kite a lot the ARX should be a better choice, but if you have good control over the kite, the Skoop will be fine. For sure the Takoon will have more power than the ARX, due to its size and more lift. Ifyou think you can handle it, go for the Skoop, but always be very careful, since if you loose control or the wind picks up you have a real weapon in your hand.

Greez
Toby

Trikke
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Andora, Albenga, Tarifa
Favorite Beaches: Los lances, tarifa
Style: Waves to wakestyle, to g' old big airs!
Gear: '14 RRD 9m + 13,5m Obsession
RRD Poison 134x43, RRD AssoPigliatutto Pro, RRD Waveoff 5'6", RRD Domingo 5'8"x21"

Postby Trikke » Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:42 pm

The real area of Takkoon Skoop 10.5 is 14.3 sqm;it has a very large wind range but it depends on your weight,board and skill too.

Oren
Rare Poster

Postby Oren » Tue Sep 03, 2002 5:29 pm

Thanks alot all of you
Finally I bought the skoop 10.5 which means that the dilema has been solved.
The desision was very tough but I understood that the skoop is newer design and this size of kite is exactly for my needs.
I went directly to the beach and unfortunatly tired one of the front wires just after one hour.
I hope its only a bad luck and fron now on everything will go smoothly.

Thanks,
Oren

Return to “Kitesurfing”