CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Re: Ocean Rodeo stick shift bar

Postby CaptainArgh » Sun May 28, 2017 3:54 am

kiteclub_gr wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 8:51 pm
Look how easy it is to power/depower your kite...

https://www.facebook.com//KiteClub.gr/v ... 1257042978
That video doesn't make it looks easy. Looks like much more of a pain than just pulling on a trim strap. (crank, crank, crank, crank....)

I'm not a hater, I like what these bars have to offer, but reaching to the end or corner of your bar to crank a knob... that's not natural.

Be nice in the center of the bar, but I guess you wouldn't want to put anything that could confuse use of the safety release. Gotta be on an end.

kiteclub_gr
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo, Blankforce, Mystic,
Has thanked: 0

Postby kiteclub_gr » Sun May 28, 2017 2:19 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 3:54 am
kiteclub_gr wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 8:51 pm
Look how easy it is to power/depower your kite...

https://www.facebook.com//KiteClub.gr/v ... 1257042978
That video doesn't make it looks easy. Looks like much more of a pain than just pulling on a trim strap. (crank, crank, crank, crank....)

I'm not a hater, I like what these bars have to offer, but reaching to the end or corner of your bar to crank a knob... that's not natural.

Be nice in the center of the bar, but I guess you wouldn't want to put anything that could confuse use of the safety release. Gotta be on an end.
Just because you express your opinion does not mean you are a hater. I have used almost all the kinds of depowers out there, above the bar, below the bar, clamcleat pull/pull straps and all of them have positive and negative outcomes.

Maybe the stick-shift does not give you instant depower, but how many times have you been in a situation in which you need to fully depower in a second? With the stick-shift that second becomes 3seconds. It's easier to depower than to power the kite.

Also a major plus of a stick-shift is that its the best solution for girls and short guys that cannot reach the depower system as a clamcleat depower. Lastly another important thing is that there is no need to leave the bar from your hands.

Kemperman
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 78
Style: Big air, freeride
Gear: Duotone Rebel, North Orbit
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Kemperman » Mon May 29, 2017 8:01 pm

Here a short video of the bar in action. I'll write a review soon!

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Mon May 29, 2017 9:28 pm

Kemperman wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 8:01 pm
Here a short video of the bar in action. I'll write a review soon!
Amazing, thanks Kemperman!

Official Promo and Instructional videos coming soon. Official launch for the bar is later in June!

JZ

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed May 31, 2017 5:34 am

kiteclub_gr wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 2:19 pm
...Maybe the stick-shift does not give you instant depower, but how many times have you been in a situation in which you need to fully depower in a second? With the stick-shift that second becomes 3seconds. It's easier to depower than to power the kite.

Also a major plus of a stick-shift is that its the best solution for girls and short guys that cannot reach the depower system as a clamcleat depower. Lastly another important thing is that there is no need to leave the bar from your hands.
What I meant to say (perhaps it wasn't clear) is that I like the bar and the innovation. I hope to try or buy one.
While I think the knob cranking doesn't look natural, I'd agree with your major plus regarding reach now being a non-issue. I also love that the lines above the bar are now clean and free of hardware.
Good stuff. Can't wait to see where this technology goes. If it makes it to year 3, that's the decider. Or if more companies license/copy it next year. :wink:

Innovation and acceptance of it is hard. Case in point, how long did it take us to simply get a better kite pump!? 10 years? Last year one company made a fat pump, now everybody has it! Good stuff.

CvdM
Rare Poster
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Prodigy
Cabrinha Radar
Been thanked: 0

Postby CvdM » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:48 pm

Hi all, my boyfriend (Kemperman, he has posted the video above) and me have had the opportunity to test the stick shift bar in the Netherlands. I've made a video about my experiences and to showcase features of the bar.

I am happy with the bar, especially for me being a woman with short arms it's great to be able to reach the depower system and to adjust the bar throw. Looking forward to get a feel of the production bar as I read here that is has a softer grip compared to the demo bar? Are there any other differences in the production bar?

I am hoping for some stronger winds to be able to test the depower a bit more!

Congrats OR with this awesome innovative product :D

hudstur
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Delray Beach, Florida
Boca Raton, FL
Boynton Beach, FL
Lighthouse Point, FL
Favorite Beaches: Delray Beach, FL
Hood River, OR
Floras Lake, OR
Cape Hatteras, NC
Napeague, NY
Bahamas
Kauai, Hawaii
Canada, PEI & Georgian Bay
Traverse City, MI
La Ventana, Mexico
Cabarete, DR
Florida Keys
Style: Directional Waves, Freeride, Foilboard
Gear: OCEAN RODEO Duke 5’4”, OR Flites, FOne kites, SS Mixer 5’10”, Litewavedesigns Kick S.

Postby hudstur » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:56 pm

Again, tried the Stick shift bar here at Kitty Hawk Kites and totally awesome. Ocean Rodeo nailed it with their mantra function over form. Try one if you can and see what all the rage is about.

dragnfly
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blackpool/ St Annes. New Brighton (UK)
Favorite Beaches: UK - Rhosneigr. New Brighton, Blackrock Sands.
Non UK - Dakhla.
Style: FS80% WS15% Strapless5%
Gear: Cabrinha FX 12,9 & SB 7m, Drifter 5m
Crazyfly Raptor ltd 136 2018 (best board ever!)
Slingshot Screamer

Postby dragnfly » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:38 am

It may have been covered already - but is that stopper moveable just by pushing the bar against it, or is it locked in place?

Bar looks great! I want one .

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke

Postby randycasburn » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:41 am

Locked in place.

BrunoC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: OBX
Style: Freeride
Gear: various

Postby BrunoC » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:26 pm

I have put about 9-hours on this new bar so far and for me it turned out to be far more intuitive than I expected. If you ignore the depower system, it is a great bar on its own...clean PU center line and includes all the pigtails to hook up any kite you want. One benefit that I have not seen mentioned is that while you still need to move your hand to the end of the bar to adjust, you don't need to shift your body position...makes trim adjustments faster and smoother rather than reaching up, shifting your weight, setting trim, leaning back just to find you over or under did it.

Overall, impressive bar.

Return to “Kitesurfing”