Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:31 pm

it still can be a great show if they have some more distance and use a safety....

Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 30, 2002 7:34 pm

Aloha
I really think its better when we all use safety leashes. Now their are systems out there where you can fully spin your bar with the leash going from the hook on the spreader bar to the center lines. It seems like the only responsible thing to do, and I for one would like to see it mandatory at all contests. Safe kiting and good winds
Laurel Eastman

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 02, 2002 10:10 am

I was there as well. The wind was steady 8 m/s and the show was incredible by Robby and Chris. They were in full control.

I agree that leaches should be mandatory in competitions to protect the spectators (and competitors) that sometime don't recognise the danger of a falling powered up kite.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Sep 02, 2002 10:37 am

I'm in full control all the time as well, at least I think I am.

Following situation happend:

very light winds with a X2 12, was just able to keep height in these conditions.
Nothing to worry about.
I wanted to land my kite, had an assistant at the beach.
I was standing close to stones, the kite was on the way down, very controlled.
Suddenly a guy hit one of my lines with his kite (distance is your friend....)
and my kite stalled. Immediately I released my quick release and luckily the kite fall all the way down and didn't get any power.
But if and I wouln'd have pulled the release, I would have been smashed on the stones. And if I wouldn'T have a leash maybe my assistant or nyone else standing close or far away would have been tangled or hit by the runaaway kite and bar.

I had full control.....

It is not always about you but about others who don't have control.

Toby

Louis Cypher
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Louis Cypher » Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:55 pm

Hi Toby,

that's a really good posting in my eyes. Only few from the good skilled guys talk about sitautions like that! And exactly those situations are the reason why i wear a helmet (and i'm not a thin nereved guy, believe me)! Imagine you would have hit the stones (nico an i saw a guy on silvaplana ripin the rocks on his brest and backbone 10m downwind at warpspeed 2weeks ago; could have been another sad case of death!). It's only luck wether you get injured on your head or not in such a situation. And there are so many idiots on the water which could involve you in accidents.

I think taking a helmet or not is just a matter of image at the moment. If even some good guys take one nearly everyone would buy one. No, you don't notice it if it's on your head and a good one.

At lake como i think at least 1/3 of the guys (even the skilled ones) wear a helmet. I think we could learn from those.

Take care,

Louis

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Mon Sep 09, 2002 7:30 am

Yeah one of the most dangerous situations when using an inflatable is when the wind lulls or goes really light and the kite either hindenburgs or stalls... especially at a crowded beach in mid summer....

ALLWAYS USE A SAFTEY LEASH :smile:

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

Return to “Kitesurfing”