Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Impaled on a foil

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe, Pleasure Bay.
Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul, Freestyle, Race
Gear: -
Duotone Dice SLS, BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 150, Moses 637
Triton Custom V3 Bat 37", Temavento Sync
Carved Imperator
Brand Affiliation: None

Impaled on a foil

Postby pikovsg » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:08 am

My back stap (foot hook) broke in midair today while, sending my board down and plummeting me 20 feet down onto the foil wings. Looking down, horrified, I realized I was falling straight onto the carbon foil wings, which haven't had time to submerge and were sticking straight up like spikes. Somehow I managed to loop the kite and landed about an inch from the wing. After resurfacing, I touched my back, still trembling. It was ok. The foil wings were right next to my body, only now submerging...

This was a lesson in humility.

Now, I want to ask you all, did you ever fall onto your wings while boosting or riding waves? I've had a similar thing happen twice before, just not so crazy close. With these kind of odds, it makes you think.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Impaled on a foil

Postby Tone » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:50 am

I have fallen on them and it's not a massive deal as they sink most of the time.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Pedro Marcos » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:46 am

pikovsg wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:08 am
My back stap (foot hook) broke in midair today while, sending my board down and plummeting me 20 feet down onto the foil wings. Looking down, horrified, I realized I was falling straight onto the carbon foil wings, which haven't had time to submerge and were sticking straight up like spikes. Somehow I managed to loop the kite and landed about an inch from the wing. After resurfacing, I touched my back, still trembling. It was ok. The foil wings were right next to my body, only now submerging...

This was a lesson in humility.

Now, I want to ask you all, did you ever fall onto your wings while boosting or riding waves? I've had a similar thing happen twice before, just not so crazy close. With these kind of odds, it makes you think.
Ive fallen on them while working on transitions quite a few times now, luckily always touched them in ways that they dont cut me.

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:04 am

When I was first learning I tried to get up behind a small boat. When I rose up on the foil it bucked me off sideways. My face was falling directly towards the front carbon wing as it was coming to the surface. I put both elbows in front of my face and they took the impact. Despite having a wetsuit and helmet I thought I had broken both elbows.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:24 pm

I absolutely impaled myself falling on a gybe, I was going really fast and the board tipped over upwind exposing the foil right in my downwind path as the kite skipped me across the water. I put out my right hand to brace myself and removed a strip of bacon from the pad/wrist area. Kept kiting and didn't realize how deep it was until a few minutes later when another guy noticed I was streaming a trail of blood behind me :roll:

Another time I boggled a tack in SUPER light winds with a foil kite that would make a better submarine than race machine. As I was in the water attempting to kick backwards to tension my lines I kicked the super-sharp trailing edge of my strut with the top of my foot and put a nice 3" horizontal gash in my right foot. Frustrated and tired, I kept working to get the kite in the air and unfortunately had to self-rescue. As the crash boat was hauling my kite in the water I kicked my TE again, this time with my left foot and did the same damn thing! I now have matching top of foot scars... :roll: :roll: :roll:

At the time it sucked but nothing really came of either injury and I'm fine now, so ultimately it was just a painful lesson about maneuvering around the foil in the water.

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:51 pm

Cracked my ankle bone falling on the wing during a gybe that I went into too slow. I had a wetsuit and short cut booties on. My ankles were the only thing exposed :(
Attachments
AnkleBone Crack.JPG
AnkleBone Crack.JPG (82.57 KiB) Viewed 1493 times

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:56 pm

I also thought that issue before trying to boost with the foil, and finally this season I started foil boosting, and this has never been an issue, maybe cause I ride with very loose straps and I usually left the board behind me when boost and I still fly 5-6 m away from the board.

Foil boosting is so so much fun, but I still can't manage the force that rips me out from the water at x3 speed compared to twintip boosting.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Has thanked: 0

Postby jeromeL » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:55 pm

BOEMIX wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:56 pm
Foil boosting is so so much fun, but I still can't manage the force that rips me out from the water at x3 speed compared to twintip boosting.
I have been wondering about that lately. My first year kiting I used to have that ripping out feeling pretty regularly, I don't remember last time it happened. Perhaps my pop timing is better and I pop as the power from kite surge diminishing that feeling? Perhaps you need to pop that foil a bit before the kite takes over?

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:42 pm

Oh thanks for the tips.

I'm just adjusting myself to foil boosting, coming from boosting a lot with the twiny. I can jump and land well if i jump half powered (landing ok, just a lot more downwind than used to, due to the zero drift the foil has once touch the water). But fully powered jumps I just can't keep my feet in the straps and I fly away without board.

And if things go wrong I just drop the board to avoid the impelment discussed here, but usally is more like I still can't resist the enhanced pull from the kite.

Return to “Hydrofoil”