Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

70cm mast

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

70cm mast

Postby OzBungy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:54 am

Are there any significant benefits to having a 70cm mast in the quiver?

I am feeling the need for retail therapy. I am very happy with my current gear so I don't want to buy a new board or foil.

My foil maker does a 70cm mast. It is intended for paddle-in foil surfing and foiling in shallow waters. I feel the need to buy it, but as I said, I am very happy with my gear and I don't want to buy something that will not be used.

Being able to come in to the shallower surf zone would be nice. Also, getting up and foiling in light, dead onshore wind would also be good. It's sometimes a struggle to get up and going before drifting back into shallow water.

Is anybody regularly using a 70cm mast for carving in chop and small waves? Can it allow for more aggressive, surf-style carving? I am guessing the shorter mast restricts the lean on the board and could make for a more stable platform.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Re: 70cm mast

Postby dylan* » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:07 am

yes absolutely. when i was learning i was blasting around on a 60cm mast, carving in circles, toeside etc. the regular size mast felt like riding on stilts in comparison, and still does to an extent but it's comfortable and familiar now

the tradeoff, like you said is just that it limits lean on the board, so you aren't able to hold onto the same amount of power leaning back on your heels and still be able to make it through any chop that might pop up

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby airsurfer » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:16 am

it makes sense especially if you get marginal onshore conditions and shallow sand banks/low tide. I got the Takuma 70cm for this purpose
Attachments
20170607_150552.jpg

DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Melville Beach Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Reo, Ozone Hyperlink, Moses 683s, home built pocket foil board, Cabrinha Skillit

Postby DukeSilver » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:58 am

I love my 60cm when I'm in some of the shallower spots in my area. Go for it I say. Good for teaching your friends on as well.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:34 pm

If you want to go out in direct onshore and marginal winds, the short mast is a great advantage, in fact the only possible way :thumb:

Apart from that, IMO they are to no use whatsoever (but many will disagree).

I never use my 83 cm mast for "normal" riding, way too short, and use 90 or 100 cm for freeride and waveriding :rollgrin:

But when directly onshore, and the kite can not hang in the air without being flown aggressively, the short one is the only chance you got to get out :naughty:

Apart from that, not used, so it is very rare it is used, but it IS used on occasion yes.

Even when shallow and waves, I prefer the long mast, as you can (when experienced) just foil over the sandbanks when low and playing in the waves, so no difference having a short versus a more versatile long mast.

If a beginner, yes, the short one will give some advantages - but later, IMO no.

8) PF

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Has thanked: 0

Postby lovethepirk » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:50 am

What is the proper way to measure your mast? Mine is basically 38,39,40 inches(96.5,99, 102cm) depending on the measurement. Top, middle, or bottom yellow line?

Thanks.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:41 am

Mine is a 95cm mast according to the manufacturer, and measures 95cm on the top line in your diagram.

My foil has quite a lot of anhedral curve and that adds another 9cm down to the tips of the wing.

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby marekmk » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:24 pm

I LOVE MY 70 MAST!!!