A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Mast length Vs Stability

Postby Pedro Marcos » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:59 pm

Hello,

With Moses we were able to test the exact same Hidrofoil (wing, stabilizer and fuselage) with 3 different mast lengths, 91, 101 and 111, and the diference its huge!

We used the Sport setup 558 wind and 330 stabilizer, which is something in the middle performance wise, not too fast, not too slow.

The 3 riders testing it had the exact same opinion:

91 mast - Direct feeling, very sensible to foot position, board turns easier and there less roll resistance
101 mast - Some delay on the inputs, foot position less important, board harder to turn and more roll resistance
111 mast - Big delay on the inputs, board seems to track in the same direction regardless of what you do, much harder to turn, huge roll resistance, much easier to move your feet around in the board.

So with the increment of mast lenght you lose maneuverability but gain stability, it was interesting for me as i didnt know this.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Mast length Vs Stability

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:21 pm

Interesting :D

But I dont think you gain roll stability with the long ones, honestly.

The thing is, those riding these, when comparing, will most likely ride at the same height above the water with the 2 longer masts, as the shorter one, when comparing same day (it is a natural thing we all will do I think).

Meaning it can not be compared, as you will have more mast in the water this way - whereas when you are used to riding only one mast, you will only have about the same (small) amount of mast down in the water, thus the roll resistance will not be higher with the longer mast :wink:

But there are so many factors into this, like you can not turn back and fourth in as tight arcs of course, and this might lead you to think it is roll resistance that is higher, which it is not.

Good to compare, but I would be a bit sceptical with some of it :roll:

Pitch stability will be worse with the short ones it seems, much more sensitive ? Makes sense yes.
Which is not what beginners want - but on the other hand, they wont crash as easy as the board can recover easier, and the delay is not evident either, a good thing.

I got an 83 and a 100 cm mast, but can not compare as never used in the same conditions, and WHEN they are (because the wind picks up t.ex), I still tend to ride my 100 cm too deep, just after changing mast - so not a valid comparision in this respect unfortunately.

Loving the comparisons though Pedro, interesting, and lets hear from others too with experience on this very thing :D

8) PF

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:28 pm

I agree that everyone when on the longer mast had more mast inside the water when compared to the shorter mast, but the difference was huge, not just in roll but in overall stability.

Big Wally
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tanzania
Favorite Beaches: Wherever there is Blue water
Style: Ocean only
Gear: Undecided

Postby Big Wally » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:40 pm

That's similar to what I have felt now that I think back. Thank you for sharing. Great info!

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:28 pm

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:28 pm
I agree that everyone when on the longer mast had more mast inside the water when compared to the shorter mast, but the difference was huge, not just in roll but in overall stability.
Similar to Peter, I also have a slight different feeling. I was riding my 96 cm for one year than switched to a 110 cm with same wings and during this time at least one time switched back, but than stayed with the 110 cm for now another year. The 96 cm is now just for the mono.
The timing in maneuvers is a bit different to get used to and for sure it takes a little bit more to react on the 110 cm but no problem. Bigger problem would be to learn to keep high with the short again. Only situation to get back would be absolute high speed without waves (where I think shorter is more stable) and absolute low wind, especially in on shore condition to start in. That's all.
Think just the mono would also be great and a bit more stable on 80 cm as it hasn't got this surfacing problem as normal foils. But for learning 360s I also would stay at least with the 96 cm.

Oh and I am using a 9 cm board so in total 119 cm ... the longest ... :D

Oh and the best of long struts is, siting is so comfortable and relaxing. Actually learning the flying tack on the butt, unfortunately it doesn't learn faster than my feet have, but for the comfort it is worth to try. :lol:

BigSky
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Duxbury
Gear: Flysurfer, BRM and Lift

Postby BigSky » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:35 am

Is there more stability with an even shorter mast? I respect PF and appreciate his valuable perspective. It's clear from prior posts he 's appears not to be a fan of shorter masts. I love my 60cm but mostly because it opens up far more opportunity with the massive tides in my spot assuming the winds are low. It's forcing me to really hone in on control with the lift because of cavitation. I'm very excited to try my new 91cm Lift too. I'm really trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible and not challenging any opinions. Thanks

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:40 am

BigSky wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:35 am
Is there more stability with an even shorter mast? I respect PF and appreciate his valuable perspective. It's clear from prior posts he 's appears not to be a fan of shorter masts. I love my 60cm but mostly because it opens up far more opportunity with the massive tides in my spot assuming the winds are low. It's forcing me to really hone in on control with the lift because of cavitation. I'm very excited to try my new 91cm Lift too. I'm really trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible and not challenging any opinions. Thanks
I believe a shorter mast will always be more sensible to inputs.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:49 am

Would it make sense to go with a longer fuse when riding a shorter mast? To try and balance pitch stability? Not too long, but long enough to level out the ride so your less likely to breech the front wing. Small tail wing to keep it loose.

Return to “Hydrofoil”