kostantin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sahlenburg
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc
Gear: Switch, PANSH, Fisch Kiteboards
Has thanked: 0

Re: Alpine Foil 5.0 titanium review

Postby kostantin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:21 pm

If I remeber correct, it was in the mid 70's I was involved in a fatigue test on glider wings.

We had customers in Australia and we had to make proof that within the amount of hours they fly, to wing does not get tired. Sorry English in not my native language. Some of them made 1000 hours a year, they might have slept in the glider :-)

Gliding in Germany is fancy from mid April till mid June. After that you have to move to the Italian mountains, France or oversees. So not enough hours for oversee customers.

In Aussiland its is more or less a whole year sport. With the help of the Technical University of Stuttgart we found a trick to simulate years of use within hours. We took a tennis rack, bolt this in a machine a swung this in a high frequency. No fatigue what so ever. Till today there is no fatigue known on fibre parts.

As far as I know, there is nothing stiffer then carbon. Comparing weight/stiffens it beats everything.
there is nothing coming even close to this.
The only benefit I see is the heat ressisentence and that you have no corrosion on Ti. I have no idea what we face on what we call Titanal, what is a comby of Ti and Alu.

The last and the Germans call it "Totschlagargument" did not find any translation.

The carbon fuselage is hollow. I can add at specific areas layers to eat up certain forces, but only at those places. On this metal fuselage you mill the design and you don't cover the neutral fiber. You gain dead weight. This engineering law is also known in Switzerland.

Anyway, I am out of this thread. No Ti or AluTi fuse for me no matter what the marketing drum is rumbling

tks

Kosta

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby marekmk » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:51 am

poldo
Frequent Poster

Postby poldo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:46 pm

There is not the perfect material for all, but there are several materials that could do the task with the correct design. In my opinionion titanium is perfect for the fuselage because is a long and thin structure with several connections. Is not a fishing rod. Remember that talking about "carbon" is a nonsense, all what is name "carbon" is a composite material made of resin (with some specs) and carbon fibre (with specs about both the raw material and the placing of the fibres) and a lot of the finel result depends on the manufacturing process.

Said that, the Alpine titanium looks wonderful! :D

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:22 pm

Is the fuselage hollow or solid?

fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL

Postby fogmeister » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:00 pm

the fuselage is mashined out of a solid piece of titanium.

fogmeister
Frequent Poster

Postby fogmeister » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:07 pm

all soft noses now

NEW 2017 :

Round nose 2.07,
V2.07 fuselage shape, Optimized flow, drag reduced, angle setting modified for more stabilities, top rear fin, increased and width reduced,
GIS V2,
V2.7 KF boxhead,with stainless steel insert , new screw system
Cavity for optionnal security leash system ( Prévent loosing foil in case of hard touch at full speed or big air freestyle jumps)
XLP2 carbon wing. Includes XLP2 front wing, rear wing, fuselage, mast, all hardware and KF-Box mount
compatible all existing foilboad of the market (with the Alpinefoil encastrable modular system)
short mast 60cm +197 euros including Vat (in option, use the head box of your mast 95 cm for the 60 cm mast or buy a second head separatly)
custom lenght mast on request
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (6.42 KiB) Viewed 1659 times

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:15 pm

fogmeister wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:00 pm
the fuselage is mashined out of a solid piece of titanium.
It is ABC of mechanical engineering that hollow structure is much more efficient for load bearing. This is why there are O pipes, T profiles, and I beamshttps://www.google.com/search?q=I+beam& ... 89&dpr=2.2
Solid profiles are never used, because it is just waste of material.

Here is what you said couple posts before:
fogmeister wrote: ...The case of the fuselage is very particular because a fuselage works in a multitude of axes, there are very great torsional forces between the wing and the mat, also in flexion in the same place then longitudinal and transverse forces. It is an equation almost impossible to solve to be 100% on all axes...
You support this assertion with design featuring solid chunk of metal?

fogmeister
Frequent Poster

Postby fogmeister » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:39 pm

i didnt say that......thats a quote from alpinefoil.... ......i did not design the foil but bought it and very happy.....foiling in hour 2......jumping 4th session, and foiling completely upwind downwind going left and right, going up and down swells. If we are here to discuss the meritts of design then maybe a new thread is in order. For me its to give an impression of the foil.....not to discuss engineering , of which i dont know much........but i do know the foil works incredibly well.

i am not an engineer........but it seems people are grasping terms and theories and metal fabrications from other applications and then saying it is not ideal here. Arguing against a company and its choices thats been at it for a long time.

fogmeister
Frequent Poster

Postby fogmeister » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:49 pm

......i would gladly buy a foil off any one of the theorists here if they actually had a foil company and proved the design ideas with a successful business

cheers.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:55 pm

Some things, like solid metal fuselages, might not be theoretically ideal, but it can be damn practical whether dirt cheap 6061 bar or fancy machined Ti. Metal has toughness, and it's good for long skinny things to have this property in the "real world" as far as I can tell. And Fwiw solid profiles are not exactly unheard of, in many, many products, for the same reasons.

Even many carbon foils use much more carbon and resin than theoretically needed, for practicality and durability. Some weigh as much as Aluminum ones, but may perform better because they are stiffer or can afford narrower section area for less drag....

Return to “Hydrofoil”