Legs muscles get tired quickly when using snowboard

Forum for snow- and landkiters
prairiesurf
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby prairiesurf » Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:05 pm

This is my first season using a SB (last 3 yrs on skis). So far;
in light wind skis are better (skate until you have some aparent wind)
on hard or icy snow conditions skis are better (easier to set an edge).
for riding - snowboard is better - more flow
for deep snow - depends on lenghts
jumping; skis will go higher and generally the landings are easier.
personally the ride of a snowboard is more enjoyable so I'm sticking with it.

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:27 pm

miked wrote:
On SBkiteboarding is the same. Try to find the zero position.I men the position where you will press the board with full force.
Don't use any of other movements or forces to control the board.
It is like Kitesurfing on the surf board /no stap/ or wakeskate style!
dr.lojz, I am not sure what do you mean by the zero postion... You will press the board with full force (do you mean by pointing my toes and edging hard?), but then you write don't use any force... can you please explain
Thanks, Mike
I hope this will help
This rider is natural goffy orientated! He use the directional board /eg. mutant on the H2o/ His right leg, riding left side get really strong and tired every time! Neutral position mean when you are on the board relaxed, using no force in any direction, instate of the aparent force to the ground!

dr. lojz

dr.lojz
Medium Poster

Postby dr.lojz » Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:39 pm

miked wrote:
On SBkiteboarding is the same. Try to find the zero position.I men the position where you will press the board with full force.
Don't use any of other movements or forces to control the board.
It is like Kitesurfing on the surf board /no stap/ or wakeskate style!
dr.lojz, I am not sure what do you mean by the zero postion... You will press the board with full force (do you mean by pointing my toes and edging hard?), but then you write don't use any force... can you please explain
Thanks, Mike
This is the classical mistake on the riding SB with the kite!
Hope this will help

This is natural goofy rider on directional board /eg.mutant on H2o/ His right leg riding left side get tired, because he must overlay to come to the right position! When he switch to blind right dir. he will be OK! The same story is with toe-front lean and forces. To trow away the hi-bac/spoiler is wrong, you need some support to lean backwards. And again translate your forces perpendicular to your board and be happy!
dr. lojz

skipfrommichigan
Medium Poster

Postby skipfrommichigan » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:36 am

Guys,

I don't get the explaination for a 'neutral stance'. I rode two snowboards today with different sidecut and still had thigh burn. The board with litlle duck stance in the bindings helped - but still cramped up my thighs after a few runs.

Should I take the backs off my bindings all together?

Any help would be appreciated.

Skip

montanakitesports
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

quad burn

Postby montanakitesports » Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:34 am

I find that if I lock out my forward knee, and exagerate the bend on my back leg, the thigh burn goes away. I put in a straight 3 hour session this afternoon...my abs are toast, but my legs feel good. Also, how big of kite are you using? In deep snow, I ride a much larger kite and keep it up higher to help support my weight. Today was 15-20 knots, and I was riding a 12m fuel. Gusts were to 25 or so.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:35 am

Skis are better for hard pack and when you are underpowered.
Snowboard is better in deep powder.
Snowblades are great for jumping on hardpack, but take a lot more work than skis to edge.

I always pack all three and ride according to the conditions.

skipfrommichigan
Medium Poster

Postby skipfrommichigan » Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:35 am

Guys,

Thank you for all of your help and insight.

I changed my bindings to 2 and 5 degrees duck stance. They used to be 15 and 6 degrees duck. I also took out my summer kiteboard and measured the center foot to center foot distance and made sure my snowboard was the same distance apart. I used to have the bindings favor my heel edge and moved them up to center between heel and toe edge.

All of those changes helped alot today. I was still able to ride toeside without a problem.

The thighburn was considerably less today. I rode for 3 hours without a problem.

Skip

Chenzo
Rare Poster

Forward lean

Postby Chenzo » Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:10 am

Do not remove highbacks, just the opposite actually. Increase your forward lean on your highback, toe straps are onlly supposed to immobilize your foot while pressure on the highback will give better heelside edging. At first it will feel a little unfomfortable on your calves but it takes a little while to get used to. If there is too much pressure on your calves you may have adjusted too much forward lean, ideally you would match the angle of your leg with the highback while in a riding position with your ankles and knees slightly bent. As well if your bindings allow, allign the highback parallel with the edge of the board. Not really necessary if you run angles of 6 degrees or less, but any more it is highly reccommended. IMO flow bindings are the best choice for snowkiting, give them a shot.
cheers,

Munz
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

True twin

Postby Munz » Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:01 pm

Elevation Snowboards sells a snowboard that is a true twin tip- 158cm. Cimetrical sidecut and centered stance- cant tell if you coming or going- saw one at the Sanitarium the other day- Looks great.

Return to “Snow / Land”