7m, 10m Cabrinha Apollo kites
Cloud F28 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard
133 Axis Vanguard twintip
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: one strut vs strutless

Postby tswierkocki » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:59 pm

I think the Cloud D really shifts the strutless paradigm. I can push the wind range a lot more on the Cloud D without flapping compared to my old C2's.

In terms of high end the Cloud D reminds me a lot of the original 7.5m Kahoona I had.

I got to test both ends of the spectrum this weekend. Rode the 6.2m overpowered on Saturday and then the 4.8m underpowered on Sunday. On Saturday the wind built to about 30 mph and on Sunday it dropped off to about 15 mph. Not ideal but doable on both kites.

Great kites!!!

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m Flysurfer Peak 4 kites
7m, 10m Cabrinha Apollo kites
Cloud F28 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard
133 Axis Vanguard twintip

Postby tswierkocki » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:04 pm

Would really love to know how the D compares to the C2 for low end on a surfboard, please. Any info much appreciated!
[/quote]

I've only ridden the D with the hydrofoil. On the hydrofoil I would say the pull is the same but there is more useable lowend. Basically the D's lowend is more optimized.

Generates more power when worked, turns better, and hangs better in light wind.

hshim007
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Yas Island
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: Mhl foil, Paipo boardriding Maui, cloud D kites
Brand Affiliation: Love the BRM Clouds!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby hshim007 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:51 am

I confirm what tswierkocki wrote about the Cloud D's. There was a lot of "flapping"/luffing of the previous generation clouds but these new delta shapes and bridle arrangement seems to have fixed that. Each Cloud D seems to have a bigger range than before. Low end seems about the same but they are more comfortable even when the winds are stronger than their sweet spot.

I have long thought about using the clouds with a surfboard in the waves but since I started foiling I haven't been on my surfboard for 2 years. I wouldn't like to know what would happen if you dropped a strut less in a big wave but as the saying goes in wave kiting...rule number 1: Don't drop your kite! rule number 2: see rule number 1! Having said this, if you did drop a cloud and it didn't get crushed by a wave, they restart very quickly.

I imagine from the way that the Cloud D's fly they would be awesome in medium sized waves; Turn super fast, drift amazing, bar pressure very light.

tripman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: North Sea, Channel, Brittany
Style: Surfkiting + HF + wing
Gear: Noremana 5'2 95L
Gong Hipe pro 5'1
BRM W2 4m, 5.5m
Foil Allure 1300 + 1000
KETOS 1200 + stab Karver S
Pocket KETOS 107
Board Riding Maui Cloud E 2.8, E 3.7, E 4.8, E 6.2, D 8, D 10.4
Stallion V1 TDZ 5'2''

Postby tripman » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:01 am

hshim007 wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:51 am
I confirm what tswierkocki wrote about the Cloud D's. There was a lot of "flapping"/luffing of the previous generation clouds but these new delta shapes and bridle arrangement seems to have fixed that. Each Cloud D seems to have a bigger range than before. Low end seems about the same but they are more comfortable even when the winds are stronger than their sweet spot.

I have long thought about using the clouds with a surfboard in the waves but since I started foiling I haven't been on my surfboard for 2 years. I wouldn't like to know what would happen if you dropped a strut less in a big wave but as the saying goes in wave kiting...rule number 1: Don't drop your kite! rule number 2: see rule number 1! Having said this, if you did drop a cloud and it didn't get crushed by a wave, they restart very quickly.

I imagine from the way that the Cloud D's fly they would be awesome in medium sized waves; Turn super fast, drift amazing, bar pressure very light.
I do use my Clouds in the wave. The good point for me is that the absence of struts makes the kite more prone to absorb the beating of crashing waves. You may end up on the beach with your kite being washed and rolled by the waves, but it will still be in one piece, unlike conventional strut kites offering a lot more resistance to the water energy. Still rule #1 applies in any case.

pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe, Pleasure Bay.
Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul, Freestyle, Race
Gear: -
Duotone Dice SLS, BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 150, Moses 637
Triton Custom V3 Bat 37", Temavento Sync
Carved Imperator

Postby pikovsg » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:21 pm

Rode the new 3.7m Cloud D on 25m lines in almost double overhead waves during a weird Nor'easter we had last week in Boston. Sublime wave riding!

The big reason for the stoke is that much like a freestyle windsurfing sail, you can completely shut off the power of the Cloud by sheeting out the bar. Having no kite pull lets you ride the face of a big wave using just the power of the foil. Also, BRM's minimalist bar makes just as much of a difference as the kite itself.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:18 am

francis luengo wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:59 pm
All brands are making one-strut for...
KBHFs!
So funny that it seems perfectly ok to use the correct word for this part as it perfectly fits the definition....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strut
BUT....
Not for KBHFs in English as it also is the ONLY correct word as first understood over 50 years ago!
http://nextfoils.com/
As most still do not understand the ONLY reason this came to be is because the French who do not have the correct word STRUT and therefore settled on MAT, note NO S!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mast_(sailing)
R H

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:27 pm

So, your blaming the French?

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:49 pm

No blame, just the truth.
Of course we here call it a mat because as stated the word STRUT does not exist in the French language.
BUT,
That fact does not make it ok to ignorantly use the wrong word in English, like on this very forum!
R H

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:31 pm

revhed wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:49 pm
No blame, just the truth.
Of course we here call it a mat because as stated the word STRUT does not exist in the French language.
BUT,
That fact does not make it ok to ignorantly use the wrong word in English, like on this very forum!
R H

But the word "strut" or something close, does not exist in many (or most) other languages - thus the word "mast" (the sailing term which in Danish is exactly the same "mast") is used, just like in French where mât means mast.

It is almost never a question about the "right" term - it is always a question about what it is called in the real world.

Just like here, the word "kiteboarding" does not exist at all, never ever used not even when posting in English.
But it is, and has always been called kitesurfing here - no matter if correct or not.

THAT is what counts - what "the world" decides to call things, and not what is correct.

8) PF

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:00 pm

I have been using my North Mono 12 a lot, today in 10-12 knots, some drops to below I think. I've also foiled on it in over power. Yesterday the Mono 7 in 16-20 knots ( I think, others out on 9s on TTs fully powered). It was pretty wavy and rough, gusty conditions. Really happy with them.
Actually used my old Rrd Obsession 9( 5 strut) the most and it works good, but bridle and dump valve ready to break any day. Time to retire it.
So I just bought a 2016 Mono 9 on sale.
What I really like about then is they have soft and smooth power delivery when sheeting in and out helping me adjust altitude, and the have good and even power on down and up stroke, which means I get up on board on down stroke and up flying on foil in up stroke.
I figured it was good idea to keep same kite across the quiver. Probably get a 5m when they go on sale.

Return to “Hydrofoil”