Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

17m vs 14m LEI?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

17m vs 14m LEI?

Postby lovethepirk » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:45 am

Stole a session today for an hour which was unexpected....hell yea!!!!

Anyway, wind on the pier meter showed 12-14mph, but I think it was more on the high end b/c I wasn't struggling...It seems unless I have some gusts or help above 12mph I can't go without hard work and crazy amounts of power strokes until I start planning on the race foil.

I'm curious....I only rode my 17m on the foil when I was trying to ride the board flat and learn...then I have been on the 14m LEI always. Is the 17m LEI going to get me to ride in 10-12mph possibly vs needing 12-14mph on the 14m? I almost blew up the 17m today to test it out, but I was too tired to blow up the beast. For some reason, I just think the quicker response of the 14m allows me to make faster and more powerstrokes when needed to get on the foil.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Re: 17m vs 14m LEI?

Postby bigtone667 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:00 am

The only reason I need the big kite (17m) is to get up on the board. Once I am up and heading upwind I wish I had 3m or 5m less kite.

The way around this issue for me was to add 10m line extensions and fly my 13m.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:04 pm

With my experience, for 75kg, LEI´s over 12m2 wont give you any better low-end. They will give you more power for the same low-end. That will change if your are heavier.

Ive tested a 12m2 Storm vs a 17m FLITE and they both start at the same low-end, but on the 17m you will be much more powered when you get the apparent wind. The 12m2 its much easier to handle then the 17m2

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:28 pm

I'm a HF noob, but sold my beloved Core XR2 17lw because I could tell early on that I wasn't going to use it again.
If you think about it: you have a 12 kite, and you're considering getting a lightwind monster kite. A new one is going to set you back 1000-1300 €. You can almost get a foil for that money, and now you'll have a few years new challenge and fun, plus you'll start to yearn for those 12 knot days...instead if plowing around on a 17.

herbert
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Style: directional
Gear: RRD
Been thanked: 0

Postby herbert » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:45 am

I agree that the smaller the kite the more fun it can be, even if it is more challenging (that is part of the fun). I just finished long session with my 6.2m Cloud D. Had plenty of power. I reviewed the wind chart and it was 2 hours of averaging 13 to 16 mph. I realize that I could have just as well have gone out with my 8m or 10.4 D in that wind. They all would have worked equally well, just different. The smaller size is well compensated for by the amazing apparent wind from the speed of dives, of working the kite, and of just flying fast. It is just that the experience would have been different. For me: More small = more fun. I say, for a variety of reasons, try to hydrofoil more often with a smaller kite. When trying to decide which kite to pump, go with the smaller. You will surprise yourself.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:26 am

Lighter and faster are better than big and powerful for freeride foil. You would get overpowered so fast on the 17. As soon as you get off the water and the speed kicks in?! Smaller is just more fun. You will naturally earn the ability to get up and going on smaller kites. To a point. Once the small kites shut off (you can't get the start) there is usually a bigger kite that brings back the joy, also to a point. I rarely use a 12 to foil anymore. Im on the 8.5 as soon as it puffs 12.

Ditch the 17. If foiling becomes your usual, you'll ditch the 14 pretty quick too. 12 is as big as you need go for freeride fun (10 knots).

If you want to forget that its a wind sport you could try ridiculously light wind, that is, if your 17 is light enough to make it worthwhile.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:00 am

Starsky wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:26 am
Lighter and faster are better than big and powerful for freeride foil. You would get overpowered so fast on the 17. As soon as you get off the water and the speed kicks in?! Smaller is just more fun. You will naturally earn the ability to get up and going on smaller kites. To a point. Once the small kites shut off (you can't get the start) there is usually a bigger kite that brings back the joy, also to a point. I rarely use a 12 to foil anymore. Im on the 8.5 as soon as it puffs 12.

Ditch the 17. If foiling becomes your usual, you'll ditch the 14 pretty quick too. 12 is as big as you need go for freeride fun (10 knots).

If you want to forget that its a wind sport you could try ridiculously light wind, that is, if your 17 is light enough to make it worthwhile.
And despite all my learning on the foil .... I still need the 17 two or three times a year.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:35 pm

Remember rider weight, as a 17 m2 for say a 100 kg rider, corresponds roughly to a 12-13 m2 for an average weight rider around 75 kg :D

8) PF

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:55 pm

I've found that with foil kites, bigger sizes give bether low end. With LEIs though, I didnt find that bigger kites (over 13m) really helped much.

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade

Postby lovethepirk » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:56 am

So I finally squeezed in a sesh in 10mph/9kts with the 17m Contra today for 30 minutes before I crashed the kite in 8mph winds and called it quits.

The 17m Contra def had much more grunt to get me up fast on top of the board which is my biggest issue with the 14m Vector. Still had to pump the kite 2-3 times but damn it immediately pulled me out of the water on the first dive.

The moment I got up to speed I was immediately overpowered in a weird way, it was like the kite wouldn't go forward and it was a wicked leg workout. I trimmed the kite about 6 inches, but only got a tack in before the wind died and I crashed the kite. Trimming the kite helped but the kite was still pulling like a truck at speed.

I've seen advanced riders 30 pounds less than me riding 18m foil kites in 10-12mph winds. How in the hell are they doing this? Are they trimming the hell out of the foil on the fly or is the foil further ahead in the window to not pull them so hard into the board whereby you're doing a 400pound leg press the entire tack?

edit: btw...is the Pansh Aurora 2 really only 350$? Would that have the grunt to get me up as much as the 17m Contra? I could see trying that kite maybe in the future to abuse and learn on for cheap.

Return to “Hydrofoil”