alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Don't show us your hook

Postby alford » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:26 pm

snowycreek wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:19 pm
I use a pivot instad of slider. 5 years now. I tried both and found no advantage to the slider over the pivot. I agree that the big benefit comes from getting rid of the hook and chicken loop. It seems to me that the vast majority of hookless kiters became hookless via a slider set-up and assume that it is the slider that provides the benefits. I'm not saying that a slider won't work just fine but a ring larksheaded to the center of the spreader bar gives all the same benefits without any wear issues.
Snowy, can you provide a quick photo of your setup? I'm pretty sure I understand what you're describing but a photo would be great. What line diameter do you use? Amsteel? Is twisting an issue? Thanks!

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:27 pm

I have used both a ring and rope on my harness (Dynabar). I prefer rope for the increased freedom of movement.

Mitaka
Frequent Poster
Style: wave riding
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, BRM Cloud D0, F-One MITU, KETOS foil

Postby Mitaka » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:48 pm

I use this combination setup since November 2014 where I have a sliding and a pivot ring on my Dynabar V8. For the rope of the pivot ring I drilled a hole just in the middle of the bar.

When foiling I always use the slider since I do a lot of switch stance foiling, carving, playing with waves and it definitely helps for the extreme upwind angles.

For surfboard riding I use the slider or the pivot ring depending on the conditions. Pivot - when I prefer more precise kite control and slider when I prefer more waist freedom. Most of the time I am using the pivot ring.
Attachments
IMG_5966.JPG

alford
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alford » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:16 am

Mitaka wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:48 pm
I use this combination setup since November 2014 where I have a sliding and a pivot ring on my Dynabar V8. For the rope of the pivot ring I drilled a hole just in the middle of the bar.

When foiling I always use the slider since I do a lot of switch stance foiling, carving, playing with waves and it definitely helps for the extreme upwind angles.

For surfboard riding I use the slider or the pivot ring depending on the conditions. Pivot - when I prefer more precise kite control and slider when I prefer more waist freedom. Most of the time I am using the pivot ring.
I'm thinking a ring on a short length of Amsteel but use with small Slingshot chicken loop. Not to get bar closer but to have the freedom of pivot , eliminate the donkey stick and like the idea of using QR before every session.
Anyone else try this?

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby randycasburn » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:03 am

alford wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:16 am
Anyone else try this?
Yes, but with a Cabrinha bar. I use a SS ring centered on my spreader bar (I chose to us Dyneema rather than Amsteel) and also have a SS ring on a slider rope tied at both ends of my spreader bar. I use a Cabrinha Fireball bar and throw away the ball & stick part. I connect the QR directly to either one of the two rings. So I have either a fixed (but full pivot) connection, or a slider connection. Works flawlessly.

Hope that all makes sense.

snowycreek
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sand Bar
Favorite Beaches: Sand Bar

Postby snowycreek » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:22 am

Here are a couple of pictures of the rings I attach to my spreader bar. You will see that I have welded a half ring on the bottom of the spreader br to keep the pivot in the middle. There are other ways of doing this but I happen to have had a welder handy. The thick ring on the black line in the second picture is a rappel ring, a few dollars on ebay that I use with a wichard shackle. The other on orange line is a smaller ring that I use with a Cabrinha mushroom release. These days, I am favoring the wichard but whatever, they will both work just fine.

I use 3/16" or I think it's 4 mm dyneema. The black line is thicker but I was just messing around with it. Almost anything will work. First I put the line through the ring then thread the line through itself, one side then the other 3 or 4 times. I then take the two tails and bury them into each other to make the loop. It is a short bury so I lock stitch it and then lark's head it over the spreader bar. It is not the most elegant of splices but it works very well.

BTW, I do not use a spreader bar pad as it is not needed once the hook is gone. Simplicity is my driver.
Attachments
kitebar spreader with loops.jpg
kitebar loops with rings.jpg

BigZ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Central California Coast
Favorite Beaches: Jalama Beach
Style: Surf
Gear: Wave kites,
Surfboards, surfboards, and more surfboards ...

Did I say surfboards ?
Has thanked: 0

Postby BigZ » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:59 am

This is my contraption
IMG_1336.JPG
IMG_1336.JPG (111.24 KiB) Viewed 2141 times
No modification to the standard Ozone chicken loop. Although it looks like the line may slip off the ring it has not happened yet - even during major wipe-outs. Did not work that well with my other bar which has a larger chicken loop.

snowycreek
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sand Bar
Favorite Beaches: Sand Bar

Postby snowycreek » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:09 am

http://www.mysticboarding.com/products/ ... lor_000000

So, you guys all know that Mystic has a slider spreader bar for sale now right? No my cup of tea but for those that want to get into the slider thing without tinkering,...

alford
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alford » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:16 pm

randycasburn wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:03 am
alford wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:16 am
Anyone else try this?
Yes, but with a Cabrinha bar. I use a SS ring centered on my spreader bar (I chose to us Dyneema rather than Amsteel) and also have a SS ring on a slider rope tied at both ends of my spreader bar. I use a Cabrinha Fireball bar and throw away the ball & stick part. I connect the QR directly to either one of the two rings. So I have either a fixed (but full pivot) connection, or a slider connection. Works flawlessly.

Hope that all makes sense.
Yes, that makes a ton of sense. The Cab QR is small, light and simple. The ring for safety line is in a good spot too. Using it with a simple ring is a great call, all the benefits of the Fireball but in a simpler setup.
How do you like the Cab lines? Do they remain equal length for a reasonable amount of time?

peppedurso
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Sicily / Cape Town
Style: Wave Riding and Freestyle Strapless
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters
Appletree Malus Domestica 4'11 / Luke's Leaf 4'9 / Appleflap noseless 5'1
Brand Affiliation: Appletree/Cabrinha

Postby peppedurso » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:34 pm

Hi everyone,

After couple of years riding with a custom bari decided to switch to Cabrinha Fireball. Took the lower part away and this is the result. Thinking about changing the connection system to a BRM style system (loop and knot) to avoid activating the release every time I need to connect and disconnect.

Cheers Peppe
Attachments
55F37AF2-C185-46ED-B58A-25098C3B1503.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”