Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2018 Naish Foils

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2018 Naish Foils

Postby tautologies » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:19 pm

Nice. I wish I did that when my neighbor had a full on CNC machine. I bet not many years now and we can get quality shit printed for very few cents on the dollar.

I am definitely just getting the Naish foil. To me it looks like the set up I want since I can switchout parts. Back in the day when I had a low aspect foil the big problem was to control the board when I had speed. It makes me weary of having a foil that is super big. I definitely want a 90cm mast unless someone can convince me otherwise. haha.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:04 am

clint2070 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:43 am
Ive never taken my foil apart ! Is it bad not to disassemble it from time to time ?
If you have aluminum parts (mast/fusalage) and it uses stainless bolts (which they all do) then you'll get bimetal corrosion and the bolts will be seized if you've left it together for too long.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:54 am

Slappysan wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:04 am
If you have aluminum parts (mast/fusalage) and it uses stainless bolts (which they all do) then you'll get bimetal corrosion and the bolts will be seized if you've left it together for too long.
haha I think one of my favorite parts of this forum is bits and pieces of knowledge like this. I usually discover that in retrospect, but then still do not know the cause of it. I am assuming lightly greasing the bolts will help right? IMO that is important regardless because disassembling and assembling with salt will make it hard without a bit of grease-ish stuff.

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Postby clint2070 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:46 am

Slappysan wrote:
clint2070 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:43 am
Ive never taken my foil apart ! Is it bad not to disassemble it from time to time ?
Im taking it apart now. Thanks ! I hope its ok. I just put it in the back of my tacoma so I never really need to take it apart. :o

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bletti » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:04 am

tautologies wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:54 am
Slappysan wrote:
haha I think one of my favorite parts of this forum is bits and pieces of knowledge like this. I usually discover that in retrospect, but then still do not know the cause of it. I am assuming lightly greasing the bolts will help right? IMO that is important regardless because disassembling and assembling with salt will make it hard without a bit of grease-ish stuff.
Tef-gel is what you should grease the bolts with to prevent galvanic corrosion. Zeeko recomends using tef-gel, rinsing after use, and taking apart every few weeks. Most normal grease will still conduct between two dissimilar metals.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:19 am

Bletti wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:04 am
tautologies wrote:
Slappysan wrote:

Tef-gel is what you should grease the bolts with to prevent galvanic corrosion. Zeeko recomends using tef-gel, rinsing after use, and taking apart every few weeks. Most normal grease will still conduct between two dissimilar metals.
Nice I have not even heard of it. Unless tef-gel is something you only use on strippers I am in.
I'm getting so excited about this foil.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:03 am

Go over to the hydrofoil section of the forum and you'll find endless threads on obscure subjects

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,

Postby clint2070 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:06 am

tautologies wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:19 am
Bletti wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:04 am
tautologies wrote:

Nice I have not even heard of it. Unless tef-gel is something you only use on strippers I am in.
I'm getting so excited about this foil.
Thought I was done learning things the hard way ! I got most of them out but the heads got stripped on a few of them. I hope my wings aren't married to my fuselage ! Thats an expensive fix ! Guess Ill find out tomorrow when I go to the hardware store for some extraction tools !

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster

Postby clint2070 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:16 am

tautologies wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:19 pm
Nice. I wish I did that when my neighbor had a full on CNC machine. I bet not many years now and we can get quality shit printed for very few cents on the dollar.

I am definitely just getting the Naish foil. To me it looks like the set up I want since I can switchout parts. Back in the day when I had a low aspect foil the big problem was to control the board when I had speed. It makes me weary of having a foil that is super big. I definitely want a 90cm mast unless someone can convince me otherwise. haha.
I want the medium size mast. Its so shallow here in San Diego that its hard to get out in on shore winds

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:44 am

Keeping your foil in your truck full time doesn't help either as high temps will speed up corrosion.

I kept my gear inside the house all last summer and only took it apart once to re check the tef gell and it looked like overkill. All threads beautifully coated and smooth.

This year we have had people working on the house so it was easier to keep it in the roof box and I have noticed its less greasy when I take it apart to check. Will likely do it a few more times this summer and have stopped keeping it in the roof box.

I am pretty generous with the gell on all threads and ride in fresh water. Salt water is another factor that would speed up corrosion.

Return to “Kitesurfing”