Strapless waterstart

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
MattyM
Medium Poster
Gear: Core, F-One, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Strapless waterstart

Postby MattyM » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:49 am

Any tips for a relative newbie (20 sessions) on how to waterstart strapless? I'm finding it very difficult near impossible as the thing just won't stay still long enough. Also hard to pull the board into position. (No problem with straps, but I want to try and ditch them for a while.)

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Re: Strapless waterstart

Postby gmb13 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:28 am

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:28 am

MattyM wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:49 am
Any tips for a relative newbie (20 sessions) on how to waterstart strapless? I'm finding it very difficult near impossible as the thing just won't stay still long enough. Also hard to pull the board into position. (No problem with straps, but I want to try and ditch them for a while.)

Yes, it IS close to impossible if you try to do it like on a surfboard...

Assume you can ride some now, with straps, so you got the timing right for a waterstart ?

"All" there is to it strapless, is to hold the board up on its edge (mast horizontal) with your backhand and place your feet or at least one initially on the board, before or while you dive the kite for the waterstart.

If you know that, meaning that you have to have the board edged a lot - and still find it difficult, it is because of the timing, when you let go of the board it will tilt down mast straight down eventually, and quite fast especially if alu or high modulus carbon masts.

So you should start diving the kite down, before letting go (the bigger the kite the more delay) with your hand and handling the bar instead.

This timing takes some to learn, but it'll come, so just carry on you are on the right track :thumb:

You can also google/youtube, lots of videos showing this, just saw Gunnar put one up in this thread now :naughty:

If you KNOW all this, and still find it difficult - well, you are right, it IS when learning.
Having straps you use a lot of time figuring out how to position the board, and you learn to do it with both the front strap or the rear strap and board turning down or upwind.
These really practical "handling habits" you have learned, are suddenly worth absolutely nothing, and you have to learn to handle the board again, using the edges of the board.

It WILL take time, just continue you are almost there :rollgrin:

8) PF

MattyM
Medium Poster
Gear: Core, F-One, Moses

Postby MattyM » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:43 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:28 am
Thanks Peter - that all makes sense. Yes we wouldn't learn to foil if it was easy!

I'd started to figure that you have to hold the board on its side with one hand. Trouble was wind was very light as well, which I think made it harder.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:09 pm

its significantly harder in light wind since you need really good kite control to water start. you pretty much have to hold the board with one hand until you have enough power in the kite either to put pressure on the board (so it doesnt just flip over when you let go), or until you are standing up and moving. difficult when you have to loop the kite several times to get up and get moving, but you get used to it and its not too bad

i've actually done the "surfboard" water start of just laying the board flat on the water with your feet on top, it does work ok as long as the board is pointed the right way since you can't just flip it around as easily as a surfboard. if it's pointed the wrong way when you dive your kite you will go one direction and the board will go the other.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:10 pm

MattyM wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:43 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:28 am
Thanks Peter - that all makes sense. Yes we wouldn't learn to foil if it was easy!

I'd started to figure that you have to hold the board on its side with one hand. Trouble was wind was very light as well, which I think made it harder.

Yes, I think you are more right than you know, as in light wind with bigger kites and longer lines, you have to wait A LOT longer, after having (begun to) dive the kite, so it it important to keep the board on its side a lot longer till you let go, because of the delay in light wind with bigger kites :thumb:

Also, sometimes in light wind you have to fly the kite back and fourth to keep it up, which makes it even harder to get a hand free to tilt the board :-?

But it will come :D

8) PF

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:56 pm

Remind yourself not to muscle you foil around. Having a strap as a handle can build that habit. The board can be swum around directionally with real ease and getting good at it helps set up your waterstart. If the rail of your board is thin enough to grip well and the board itself not too buoyant, you can swim the mast up to the surface from holding the rail instead of muscling it up with an elbow. Start positioning your kite as you approach the board, use the light pull of the kite to swim the foil into position so it all lines up to place your feet and send the kite into its power shot at the same time. Back hand on the rail, front hand on the bar. Bit of choreography, but it comes together fast and you can harness a bit more line tension for the initial power spike when there is some momentum in both your kite and board.

Best practiced in at least 10 knots.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:39 pm

It seems to me that the trick is holding the board in place with rear hand until you have enough tension in lines to keep your feet on the board, which generally is just until the beginning of power dive, but depends on wind speed and chop. You just have to find your timing, it will take a session or two, much easier in flat water and medium wind.
This works for me-
1.) rear hand holding board near back of board, put front foot in position on board
2.) (optional) if there is chop, I put my rear knee about where my rear foot will go while board spins around into stable position for start.
3.) place rear foot into place as you initiate dive with front hand
4.) bring rear hand up to the bar as soon as you are able to direct the board with your feet, you may not even be fully on a plane yet.

As others have said, a low volume board is easier.

EF
Rare Poster
Local Beach: JR
Style: Strapless
Gear: Ocean rodeo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby EF » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:39 am

I do it the same as tmcfarla and I even position the kite towards the opposite direction as I am getting the board ready. As I flip it up using my rear hand on the rail by the deck pad or tail and maybe my rear knee helping to tip the board I try and keep the board parallel to the wind because as I let go of the rail and transfer my hand to the bar every thing seems to swing around to the direction I want to go and I dive the kite while the board is still slightly on edge and try and keep my weight forward so I don't immediately launch into a sweet foil air/ sketchball wipeout. Wax helps.
I dont use straps kiting regularly and the few time I tried a foilboard with straps it was too hectic trying to get my feet in the straps so I figured I'd learn it strapless and if it was too hard then I would attach straps to the surfboard I have my foil mounted on.

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:18 am

Today I practiced with my strapless paipo-type foilboard and 9m LF Solo in about 10-15 mph winds. I found I had to fly the kite super-aggressively to get up and ride. As the kite whipped back and forth across the window, I managed to pivot the foil laterally on my back foot to follow the kite until at last I'd get yanked up straight onto the foil. Mostly I'd Point too far downwind and outrun the kite or go too fast and crash. It felt like I should have been able to ride with better finess and skill in those conditions. Gotta love the challenge! On my last attempt I crashed and the board jumped into my lines and deathlooped the kite. In 10-15 mph it just dropped into the water after 3 loops. Something to be said for learning in light wind.

Return to “Hydrofoil”