Re: Eleveight kites

Postby windmaker » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:10 pm

Kitemanmuc wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:36 pm
cpotapoff wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:09 pm
john a wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:37 pm

All kite brands are struggling except for North and Core.
Says who?

Jamie-NYC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fire Island, New York
Gear: Best Kahoona 13.5m, 11.5m, 9.5m - Slingshot Turbine 17m - Pansh A15 18m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Jamie-NYC » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:33 pm

To be clear I did not mean to criticize Eleveight, they know their circumstances better than any one else. It may well be that personal relationships with dealers means a more secure launch. But yes, often a website is a better strategy. It's funny that responses to this thought ranged from suggesting it could never rival a dealer network to suggesting that it worked so well for Switch that no one could compete with them. Personally I think both of those thoughts are incorrect. I also noticed that no one addressed the issue of what looks to be a euro-specific dealer network at this point, which is discouraging over here in the US. Almost certainly direct sales make global sales much easier. Then there is the issue of returning to Best's roots as a direct marketer - when Best was best. I realize that Eleveight is not Best, but they will always be associated with Best, and I would have thought they could have spun that more to their advantage with direct sales. Finally, I think that at a time when growth of the sport has largely plateaued, increasing sales will be dependent on current kiters upgrading - cost is everything in such an environment. If it costs $1500 for a new kite vs $800 - well, there will be a lot less upgrading.

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:10 pm

Jamie-NYC wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:33 pm
To be clear I did not mean to criticize Eleveight, they know their circumstances better than any one else. It may well be that personal relationships with dealers means a more secure launch. But yes, often a website is a better strategy. It's funny that responses to this thought ranged from suggesting it could never rival a dealer network to suggesting that it worked so well for Switch that no one could compete with them. Personally I think both of those thoughts are incorrect. I also noticed that no one addressed the issue of what looks to be a euro-specific dealer network at this point, which is discouraging over here in the US. Almost certainly direct sales make global sales much easier. Then there is the issue of returning to Best's roots as a direct marketer - when Best was best. I realize that Eleveight is not Best, but they will always be associated with Best, and I would have thought they could have spun that more to their advantage with direct sales. Finally, I think that at a time when growth of the sport has largely plateaued, increasing sales will be dependent on current kiters upgrading - cost is everything in such an environment. If it costs $1500 for a new kite vs $800 - well, there will be a lot less upgrading.
I agree with you

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:11 pm

Kitemanmuc wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:36 pm
All kite brands are struggling except for North and Core.
In my region, both of those brands have issues with sales right now. And you can see it with North abandoning the loaded 5th line concept on their flagship kite. Core? I see maybe 1-5% of the kites out in the Gorge/Oregon coast are Core. Best, now defunct has a larger presence than them just with the old Waroo's that still fly. Maybe Europe is big for Core, but not here.

Slingshot is the only kite company that I do not see having issues. I pretty much kite the western half of the US, from the Midwest to the West coast, and that is the only brand I see more and more of every year. On top of that, they were the most prevalent brand there to begin with (since I started kiting with tube kites). I think they have got it right for a long time. And now, just like North giving up on the loaded 5th line thing, Slingshot has an above and below the bar trim adjustment.

And as a disclaimer, I may buy Slingshot kites in the future, but I do not own anything of theirs except for fins.

Jamie-NYC wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:33 pm
I also noticed that no one addressed the issue of what looks to be a euro-specific dealer network at this point, which is discouraging over here in the US.
I would love to get some insight from industry people as to why this is. I was interested in Chasta's new brand when he left Ozone. But there was just no presence in the US. Is it competition with established US specific companies? Why does it seem like every new kite company starts in the EU? Is it easier to get money out of that population with hype, advertising, and team riders showing off new gear on local beaches? Are Americans more about value and less about pride than our European counterparts?

Betcha GraemeF's ear is twitching. Or he is to busy looking for another job.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:39 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:11 pm
I would love to get some insight from industry people as to why this is. I was interested in Chasta's new brand when he left Ozone. But there was just no presence in the US. Is it competition with established US specific companies? Why does it seem like every new kite company starts in the EU? Is it easier to get money out of that population with hype, advertising, and team riders showing off new gear on local beaches? Are Americans more about value and less about pride than our European counterparts?
What value?
The smaller newer brand usually produce kites that fly fine for lower prices.. In terms of value for money I would say if anything the hype of brands rule more in the US than in EU.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:21 pm

Peert wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:39 pm

The smaller newer brand usually produce kites that fly fine for lower prices.. In terms of value for money I would say if anything the hype of brands rule more in the US than in EU.
To put it more simply,

1. Why do brands like Best losing market share move to a European market focus?

2. Why do new brands start with only a European market focus?

And yes, I can see where from the European point of view, brands like Naish, Cabrinha, Slingshot, can seem to be hyped up brands in the US.

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:46 am

harppa wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:30 am
Had the pleasure on riding the FS fgood few times and it is defenitely a freestyle kite. In terms of power and feel placing it between Best TS and GP is pretty spot on. You need to work a bit more on the timing compared to the TS but when you nail it the thing shoots straight up! Still you dont come down like a rock.
For me it is the most precisely controllable kite I have ever used. Even when over powered you can push the kite to the side and you don´t feel it is pulling you to strongly. Then couple of tighter turns with the kite and BANG the power is on!
Meybe not quite as easy as the TS and just by the feedback we are getting from the local riders most old TS riders are stoked about the thing and some might feel it is a bit of a handfull but they find their new best friend from the RS :) Havent had enough wind yet to ride the RS (only got a 10m from the first shipment) so no personal take on it.

If you have the change go and test them out! You will be very impressed about how they fly and especially on how well they are built!

Ps. I am very much biased as I am one of the distributors but hand on my hear that is my honest opinion :heartface:
So do you think the FS doesn't quite get as high a boost height as the Best TS?

harppa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Epic spots of the northshores of Finland
Gear: Eleveight kites, Brunotti boards, ION neoprene and Moses hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Running a school and importing Eleveight, Brunotti, Peter Lynn, ION, Shark SUP and few others.

Postby harppa » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:37 pm

Eurus wrote:
harppa wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:30 am
Had the pleasure on riding the FS fgood few times and it is defenitely a freestyle kite. In terms of power and feel placing it between Best TS and GP is pretty spot on. You need to work a bit more on the timing compared to the TS but when you nail it the thing shoots straight up! Still you dont come down like a rock.
For me it is the most precisely controllable kite I have ever used. Even when over powered you can push the kite to the side and you don´t feel it is pulling you to strongly. Then couple of tighter turns with the kite and BANG the power is on!
Meybe not quite as easy as the TS and just by the feedback we are getting from the local riders most old TS riders are stoked about the thing and some might feel it is a bit of a handfull but they find their new best friend from the RS :) Havent had enough wind yet to ride the RS (only got a 10m from the first shipment) so no personal take on it.

If you have the change go and test them out! You will be very impressed about how they fly and especially on how well they are built!

Ps. I am very much biased as I am one of the distributors but hand on my hear that is my honest opinion :heartface:
So do you think the FS doesn't quite get as high a boost height as the Best TS?
Pretty much everyone here who have tried it have gotten better height with WOO. And also by My experience it boosts high!

ProkiteSouthPadre
Rare Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Hood River, Oregon
Style: All

Postby ProkiteSouthPadre » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:05 pm

RS's have been in the air in South Padre. Like a tuned up Roca: excellent riding speed and hangtime.

We are all in with this kite: if you want a top of the game Fast Freeride (low drag fast riding speed, hangtime, excellent lightwind/upwind/apparent wind) this is it.

Excellent everyday all around kiter's kite: you like going fast and sending it, carving turns at the ends of your tack, and not having to work too hard to stay upwind / you have a lightwind board in your quiver that might get used as much or more than your other board / you like going big and throwing board offs and long slides and drags / you ride foilboard / This kite is great for all of those guys.

With a super 'smooth and light feel' off the harness hook it is also a nice choice for beginners, lighter riders and riders looking for a comfortable predictable feel.

Stop by for a Demo, kites are at the beach and ready to go daily!

Real shops and schools and the passionate people that keep them alive are better than websites at dealing with your random issues, replacement parts, and questions.

Support your kite shops
www.prokitesouthpadre.com

john a
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freestyle, airstyle, freeride, snowkite
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight

Postby john a » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:15 am

@windmaker You put my name in your quote by mistake

@Jamie-NYC Have you seen any new brand that sells really well world wide without dealers in a country these days? It´s interesting though. Personally I think you have no chance in such a market without local people doing demos, showing the gear. How will you know if you like a kite or not if you can´t test it? Some radom kid who get a small % wouldn't´t do the same work as a dealer. There is like two guys riding Switch in all of my country, and the don´t do demos. It´s the same way the sport industry work, and not without reason, all brands that sell have distributors or agents or employees in the countries they are present in. But most new companies don´t have a world wide distribution network or those conections. You need great gear, and a network of passionate kiters who love kiting to have a success I belive. We´re past the simple internet hype periode, you have to deliver these days I think...

As for the Europe part, it is simply the biggest market. Even single countries there is bigger market alone than the North American one I have bin told from people in the kite industry. But Eleveight is in the US as well, and rest of the world ;)

Return to “Kitesurfing”