Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Help/recommendations buy first kitesurf gear set

Forum for kitesurfers
Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Help/recommendations buy first kitesurf gear set

Postby Matteo V » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:24 pm

I am betting against myself. Not that I would throw the fight, but LFK is guaranteed to show up with a jar of honey, and douse himself with it while he strips out of his boxers. The second I figured out what was going on I'd be like, "oh no, HELL NO, f--k this, I quit, I'm outta here" and forfeit the fight.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:28 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:06 pm
LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:27 pm
Matteo V wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:14 am
The pleasure has been all mine. Let us toast to many a more conversations for the long years ahead.

??????
Since you are so persistant at finding out let me clarify...

Knowlege of buying a used kite.

Make sure there are no holes or leaks.
Is the canopy crispy?
Are the attachments worn out?

Other than this,
LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:24 am
what experience could a begginer possibly need when buying a used kite?
Only took 3 times me posting that logical inconsistency for you to address it! Now I think I have a tool to call you out and shut you down on the confusion you are causing with regards to other posters points as well as your own. Shall we correct your two statements and them make them one? -

"The beginner needs no experience but does need the following the knowledge (which LFK says is not experience related):

Make sure there are no holes or leaks. (the beginner should ask the seller to pump up the kite for 1 hour while they talk about "life and things" before the beginner then checks to see if the kite has lost 2psi? If it loses 1.5psi, how much does that drop the value? Will the beginner only be out for 1 hour at a time so just pump up every hour? What does 7.5 to 9psi feel like? should he buy a grade A test gauge to eliminate pump gauge error? What if no pump gauge?)
Is the canopy crispy? (what is crispy if this is only the third used kite they have looked at and all of them have been tissue paper? Should the beginner buy a LED flashlight to "candle" the canopy at various places to check for perforation? Which kite models/years showed perforation at middle of life and which ones showed perforation at end of life)
Are the attachments worn out? (and check for bridal slider wear, how much wear is worn out - just fuzzed? or wait till there are strands showing?)
What about a bar that comes with the kite? How will a beginner know if the line ends show end of life for the lineset? Is the CL complete or is there a cleat screw missing? Was this a dangerous bar (should look up before visiting with the seller)?"

How could you not call this experience? - I will post this question 3 more times to assert the required persistence for you to cook up an artful answer.

And you still have my support.....along with admiration for polishing that turd of a contradiction. Nicely done!
Wow, lol you are such an idiot....

This is all common sense, but if you don't know you should find out.
1. If the begginer doesn't know how to test the reading of air, then he should find out.
2. If the begginer doesn't know the difference between a crispy canopy and a worn out canopy then the begginer should find out.
3. If the begginer can't tell the difference between a fresh new attachment and a worn out attachment that's about to break, then he should find out.
4. If the begginer doesn't know the difference between a fresh new line set and an old wore out one, then he should find out.

If you were a begginer that has bought crappy equipment in the past, I feel bad for you, but you still should have found out.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:45 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:28 pm

This is all common sense (to a beginner with no kiting experience?), but if you don't know you should find out. How?
1. If the begginer doesn't know how to test the reading of air, then he should find out. How?
2. If the begginer doesn't know the difference between a crispy canopy and a worn out canopy then the begginer should find out. How?
3. If the begginer can't tell the difference between a fresh new attachment and a worn out attachment that's about to break, then he should find out. How?
4. If the begginer doesn't know the difference between a fresh new line set and an old wore out one, then he should find out. How?

If you were a begginer that has bought crappy equipment in the past, I feel bad for you, but you still should have found out. How?
It seems that you are agreeing by your above list of changes to your previous statement that I suggested in my last post. Thank you for that.

On the straw man diversion referencing that I had a bad experience - I did not. I bought new at first and still have those kites. The experience of used being risky came much later. Initially by watching other people get hosed when they did not have the experience.....ahem....the knowledge.....ahem......common sense (is that what we are calling technical information about used kite gear) to know what to look for.

You replied too quick. That turd was just rubbed a bit- not polished like the previous one. Take more time with your response in the future. You really impress me when you put some effort into it. This time you only (1)provided an insult, (2)confirmed what I said and my position, (3)then presented an argument that meets the definition of a diversionary straw man.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:07 pm

Hey Matteo V it reminds me of "War Games".... no winner here TIC TAC TOE 'ing with LFAK pain in the ass....but i'm sure you would beat him at a nice game of Chess :winner2:

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:22 pm

Not wanting to put LFK on too high of a pedestal, but I am enthralled by his abilities and the psychology behind them. I know "cognitive dissonance" when I see it, and it would be easy to attribute his positions to that. But I think there is something much deeper, and something I do not understand going on here. I simply cannot settle on a reasonable explanation behind his denial of reality.

And to just make sure no one thinks the above statement is a jab at LFK, I too, along with the entire human population suffer from some sort of a denial of reality. Something we must all admit, is that our denial of reality is orders of magnitude more difficult to confront, than it is to point out in others. It is the social issues and resistance to reasoning that LFK demonstrates, which I find extremely interesting, along with his techniques to justify/perpetuate those problems.

Not to mention, my van is in the shop and I haven't really had s--t to do other wise.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:53 am

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:28 pm

This is all common sense (to a beginner with no kiting experience?), but if you don't know you should find out. How?
1. If the begginer doesn't know how to test the reading of air, then he should find out. How?
2. If the begginer doesn't know the difference between a crispy canopy and a worn out canopy then the begginer should find out. How?
3. If the begginer can't tell the difference between a fresh new attachment and a worn out attachment that's about to break, then he should find out. How?
4. If the begginer doesn't know the difference between a fresh new line set and an old wore out one, then he should find out. How?

If you were a begginer that has bought crappy equipment in the past, I feel bad for you, but you still should have found out. How?
How do you find something out? You research or ask.
Matteo V wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:45 pm
It seems that you are agreeing by your above list of changes to your previous statement that I suggested in my last post. Thank you for that.

On the straw man diversion referencing that I had a bad experience - I did not. I bought new at first and still have those kites. The experience of used being risky came much later. Initially by watching other people get hosed when they did not have the experience.....ahem....the knowledge.....ahem......common sense (is that what we are calling technical information about used kite gear) to know what to look for.

You replied too quick. That turd was just rubbed a bit- not polished like the previous one. Take more time with your response in the future. You really impress me when you put some effort into it. This time you only (1)provided an insult, (2)confirmed what I said and my position, (3)then presented an argument that meets the definition of a diversionary straw man.
I'm not trying to impress you man. I'm getting sick of talking about this crap, but you want to keep on pushing on with your high and mighty attitude of how much better you are than me.

Also, if you think looking for holes or tears in a kite counts as education, then I don't know how to help you. To me it's just part of being smart when you buy something. And if you don't know something, you find out by either researching or asking. I mean do I really have to explain this to you? This is common sense...
Matteo V wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:22 pm
Not wanting to put LFK on too high of a pedestal, but I am enthralled by his abilities and the psychology behind them. I know "cognitive dissonance" when I see it, and it would be easy to attribute his positions to that. But I think there is something much deeper, and something I do not understand going on here. I simply cannot settle on a reasonable explanation behind his denial of reality.

And to just make sure no one thinks the above statement is a jab at LFK, I too, along with the entire human population suffer from some sort of a denial of reality. Something we must all admit, is that our denial of reality is orders of magnitude more difficult to confront, than it is to point out in others. It is the social issues and resistance to reasoning that LFK demonstrates, which I find extremely interesting, along with his techniques to justify/perpetuate those problems.

Not to mention, my van is in the shop and I haven't really had s--t to do other wise.
Nah man, all you're doing is just over analyzing a perfectly normal dispute and trying to make it fit your story of how I have some kind of mental disorder going on, all because I disagreed with you from the start.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:19 am

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:53 am
I'm not trying to impress you man. I'm getting sick of talking about this crap, but you want to keep on pushing on with your high and mighty attitude of how much better you are than me.
You have impressed me. I was sincere when I mentioned it afore. And I really do consider you a pro at defending a weak position. In fact, you are nearly the best debater I have gone up against where I defended the strong position and my opponent defended the weak position. If you were to score this in a debate competition (don't watch CEDA debates on youtube unless you want a laugh), I think you would have scored higher than me. And conversely, if the positions were reversed, I would have lost to you in that case as well since I find it very difficult to defend a weak position.

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Nah man, all you're doing is just over analyzing a perfectly normal dispute and trying to make it fit your story of how I have some kind of mental disorder going on, all because I disagreed with you from the start.
No we agreed on many points. Your points that I conceded to were the straw man arguments stating things that are obvious, but nonetheless, not a point of this debate. You have conceded that there are things that a beginner must know before purchasing a used kite. It took some time but now we are here. And I will gladly help you with any other issues that you wish to present opposition from the weak position, on this particular topic or others.

We also agree that used twin-tip boards require no more "common sense" or "knowledge" to purchase new than used?

I am sure you hold many other views in line with the strong position, instead of the weak. So we would share those as well.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:43 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:19 am
LetsFlyaKite wrote:
You have impressed me. I was sincere when I mentioned it afore. And I really do consider you a pro at defending a weak position. In fact, you are nearly the best debater I have gone up against where I defended the strong position and my opponent defended the weak position. If you were to score this in a debate competition (don't watch CEDA debates on youtube unless you want a laugh), I think you would have scored higher than me. And conversely, if the positions were reversed, I would have lost to you in that case as well since I find it very difficult to defend a weak position.
What kind of work do you do? Are you an attorney?

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:34 pm

No, I just live in a van down by the river.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:02 pm

What an idiot...

Return to “Kitesurfing”