Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Core twintip reviews?

Forum for kitesurfers
live2play
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Core twintip reviews?

Postby live2play » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:49 am

Anyone spend any time on the Choice 2 or Fusion 2/3 boards? Not much info or reviews out there.

vannibombonato
Frequent Poster

Re: Core twintip reviews?

Postby vannibombonato » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:38 pm

Just purchased a Fusion 3, and have been riding it back to back every dayfor the past two weeks in very strong winds (40kn, today was first day below 30).
I rode it in chop, flat and today even went to some small amazing waves (2m). I'm an intermediate free ride rider, zero unhooking, only jumps, transitions, carves, downwinders etc.

What can I say? I think the board is phenomenal, I hate to repeat the usual BS like "it eats chop", but it's just true. I also had some serious fun blasting carves and surfing waves, which is not something I really expected. The feeling is having a high performance friendly sports car...lets say a 911 with electronics on.

I recommend it 100%, the only downside for me is price and the graphics...I always like to have some yellow or orange on a board to make it more visible...but it's obviously a minor inconvenience and never had a problem recovering it.

Can't really comment on pop as I'm not technically advanced enough to really judge on that.

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ChickenD!ken » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:39 am

Switched from 2 to 3 this summer. Totally different feel. Fusion 2 was great, but this takes it a step further. When i unpacked it the first thing that stood out was how much was going on all across this board. Very light too. Anyways, I’ll sum it up instead of boring you with platitudes. Unless you want to ride boots and/or slam megaloop style hard landings, you can rest assured the 3 does everything else almost perfectly. I completely agree that it feels like a sports car. Edge control is always right there when you dig your heel in, the rail construction is very cool (goes from 9mm to 3mm at tips) and it really does smash chop without bouncing you around. Carving is kind of unnerving at first because it feels almost intuitive. Loads and pops extremely well and don’t even get me started on the landings.. It’s kind of a hard board to describe. Defies a lot of conventional board construction with all the new tech incorporated. Great great board. Demo it if you can. Expensive, yes. Absolutely worth it though. Next time I purchase a board it will be a custom, but that is far off in the future and the 3 will definitely serve me well until then. I’ll probably keep it regardless.

PinkNorthPride
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calshot
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Mauritius
Silver Sands Barbados
Nyali Kenya
Dougs the Gorge
Style: Lawn Mowing
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: North, Maybe Core next...

Postby PinkNorthPride » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:37 pm

Like you I switched this summer and can't say I like the difference between the F2 & F3, too much rocker for my liking, but then everyone knows i"m gay about board rocker.

Oh and here's what another fine fellow did to his black and white graphics..

Kash
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Canos del Meca
Style: Hooked in tricks, looping, bigairs
Gear: Core GTS4 10m/15m.
Core XR6 8m/10m
Core Section 3 8m
Carved Imperator 6

Postby Kash » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:37 pm

I ride Fusion 2 since last year and honestly I think it is the ultimate freeride board (i have ridden carved imperator 5 for a full day session - ok maybe that was something incrementally a bit better). After trying out Fusion 3, I was puzzled as to why they had to change it so much that it actually became something totally different - more freestyle oriented with that all rocker. F2 has much more grip and control, while F3 has somewhat more explosive pop, maybe a tad better in chop. I ride F2 with short fins, while i tested F3 with long ones and even so.. trust me the first thing you will notice is that you lost your grip and want to switch back immediately. I can understand that it might be better for waves as it has more surf-style feeling to it due to less grip. I think the design performs a bit similar to Tona flow.

I mean OK, you can create new freestyle oriented boards I dont have problems with that, BUT WHY kill what is already a perfect board in its own discipline. I think they could just focus on very small improvements of F2 (like eroding foot straps and maybe weight of the board) instead of scrapping the whole design. All people I discussed it with, actually have the same feeling. People that have tested both boards, choose F2 (and you can get it for a better price right now).

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:44 am

I bought a used Core Fusion 1 in August of 2015. Rode it up until the day I broke it riding in the stormfront of Hurricane Irma a few weeks ago.

It was a very well sorted, versatile freeride board. About as light as a Slingshot Widowmaker my friend had, but more more grippy on the water. Handled chop about as well as a Best Admiral, but was much lighter. Loaded well, good pop, but the footpads were subpar. Tore a strap free, so got the Union pads about a year and a half into ownership. Those seem much more durable strap wise, but I tore one of the footpads doing a darkslide a month into ownership. Would love to use different pads (Nobile seems to do a lovely job), but Core has unique bolt spacing.

Cracked the upper deck of the board (No idea how) doing a fairly calm jumping session. Was a little underpowered on my 9m, went out with a intact board, came back after it felt a little spongy. Cracked through the deck beneath a footpad. Bottom surface is fine, just the upper deck cracked clean along the width of the board.

I weight about 85-90 kg depending on my mood, and I do not wail on my gear. To date, the Core is the only think I have broken. Maybe it saw a rough life before me, maybe I mishandled it somehow.

Ride a Crazyfly Bulldozer now. Handls chop about 75% as well, pops about 50% better, feels more solid, mildly heavier. Made with aramid fibers. Not sure if that is a good thing, but it sounds good.

Basically, I was a huge fan of the Core board, but if I had cash, I would order a custom Carved with some more reinforcements. I would take the same board, sacrifice the light weight to get the durability back.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:50 am

priced for retards

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster

Postby ChickenD!ken » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:50 am

Do-it wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:50 am
priced for retards
Funny how I hardly ever see second hand Fusion boards for sale. At least not where I live (2 hour drive from northern Germany). Must be the embarrassment over our collective mental handicap..

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster

Postby ChickenD!ken » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:58 pm

PinkNorthPride wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:37 pm
Like you I switched this summer and can't say I like the difference between the F2 & F3, too much rocker for my liking, but then everyone knows i"m gay about board rocker.

Oh and here's what another fine fellow did to his black and white graphics..

I can see how that could be an issue. I’m never going to be slamming this board outright on landings (also my knee won’t take it) but there’s potential for some pretty nasty frontside wipesouts for those who push the limits. But very forgiving board overall. Hasn’t surprised me in unpleasant ways yet.

I’m really enjoying the versatility in so many different conditions. Never thought it could smash waves with the comfort I’ve felt so far. It’s like a jet over flat water in 20 knots. Carves really well for me. Being tall on a relatively large board (144x43) that is this light and agile is something I find a big plus.

Sweet color scheme added to that Choice 2 by the way.

Jukka
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn, Core, Shinn, Airush

Postby Jukka » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:42 pm

How does that Vee rocker compare to other 3-stage rockers? I understand usually the rocker is completely different being flatter in the middle.
Which one should go better upwind and plane earlier?

@ChickenD!ken - Could you measure how many mm is the rocker in your 144x43 board?

Return to “Kitesurfing”