Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Post your polar and VMG

Postby davesails7 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:36 pm

lovethepirk wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:32 pm
I apologize if I'm asking in a wrong thread, but I have still not seen a simple explanation of VMG.
Here is a video waterlust recently posted on upwind sailing: https://youtu.be/nPc5iCb9aTw

On foils you are going too fast to go straight downwind most of the time so it applies downwind too.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:01 am

I feel like posting a somewhat silly post in a thread dedicated to performance. This is performance of another kind. :o
The configuration of our kite spot in Bali requires the foilers to board drag clear of the boats, buoys and anchor lines :angryfire: in front of the beach.
I've been working on improving my technique, both to make it effortless and as efficient as possible going windward. So halfway on my last session, I made a couple of drag-tacks to work out my speed, VMG and polar. I should repeat the exercise over a longer stretch to get a cleaner and more accurate output, obviously. :D
Approximate results, with Zeeko Alu and FS Race in 10 knots wind:
- top speed: 3 knots
- average speed: 2 knots
- angle to wind: 60 degrees
I'll post a video of the technique, which differs a bit from the one Gunnar shows in his video. I'm holding the board's edge far more forward (in front of the front strap) and my body is against the board, almost belly up. Very comfortable position. No need to paddle the feet to help. You want to hold the board more forward to use the forward wing as a keel AND to prevent it from stalling. Center of pressure somewhere between your front hand and where the body presses on the board, in line with the wing's center of lift.
2017-08-23_161151.JPG

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:14 pm

Interesting Alexrider, and indeed not silly, eventhough it can be hard to compare for many reasons :D

You manage an angle about 30 degrees over halfwind with your racekite, which is a lot, more than I do with my tubes in that much wind I think but havent tested myself so no idea.

PS: As Gunnar writes, it is in light wind you have to use your feet, and agree.
If you dont, the kite can not hang itself as you got almost no speed forward - so using your legs is often necessary to be able to get out in these 4-5-6 knots wind, and it always helps at least, as the kite can be held just a tad in front of 12 now, and you will have a chance of going upwind :thumb:

8) PF

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:39 am

Been focussing on getting more control on high speeds upwind last months instead on trying to get the best upwind angle and increasing the speed by small steps. The angle is shit, around 60-70deg, but being able to push the foil up to 27kn gives me much more control to push the better angles consistantly above 20kn. Also nice to give yout buddy an undercut at insane speeds when you are stuck behind him :D

Anyone else pushing their upwind (and downwind) speeds?
Attachments
2017-12-23.PNG

Return to “Hydrofoil”